Internal Audit Question - 8.5.1 Continual Improvement

B

BubbaDog56

During a recent internal audit, the audit team saw a chart in the stockroom that was being used to track ongoing accuracy of kit pulls. Aside from the dismal numbers reporting an average of 70% accuracy, they questioned the stockroom manager if there were targets established or any documented corrective actions. When he reported that neither existed, they documented it as a finding under 8.5.1:

8.5.1 Continual Improvement
The organization shall continually improve the effectiveness of the quality management system through the use of the quality policy, quality objectives, audit results, analysis of data, corrective and preventive actions and management review.

As the quality manager, I have final review and approval responsibility for audit reports prior to submittal to management. In discussing with the audit team, I feel that this is an observation rather than a finding. The poor numbers do need addressing, and it will be reported regardless of classification. However, this metric is being tracked only within the confines of the stockroom group for their use. No reporting is being done outside of the chart noted during the audit, and no target has been established.

Your inputs are appreciated....

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

silentrunning

Re: Audit Question - 8.5.1 Continual Improvement

I?m afraid I would have to come down on the side of the audit team. First, if a metric is important enough to record it is important enough to flow up to management for evaluation. Also, to be effective a metric must have a target. Section 8.4 pretty well spells out the importance of data analysis. I wonder if the 70% success rate played into their findings. This is a failure rate in almost anyone?s book.

P

PaulJSmith

Yes, it is indeed a dismal number. However, I agree with the OP that this is not necessarily a CI failure. If it's a widely known issue and still not addressed, then it may very well be. But it sounds to me like the stockroom manager is in the process of finding out just how bad it is. Just because they're tracking something doesn't mean it should automatically have a CI target goal and improvement process simultaneously in place. You first have to find the problem (and it's scope) before you can assign a potential solution.

It's good that the auditors saw this and questioned it. I just don't agree with conclusion to which they jumped.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I?m afraid I would have to come down on the side of the audit team. First, if a metric is important enough to record it is important enough to flow up to management for evaluation. Also, to be effective a metric must have a target. Section 8.4 pretty well spells out the importance of data analysis. I wonder if the 70% success rate played into their findings. This is a failure rate in almost anyone?s book.
It would be good to know the purpose of the tracking. We're not necessarily seeing a "metric" per se; it might be that information is being gathered in order to evaluate the current state of things. If that's the case, the next step would be to determine whether or not the current state is stable and acceptable and what it would take to change it. At that point a real objective could be set, if necessary.

I also question the need to cite the standard in an internal audit. That's often a sign of a deficiency in the QMS. In the end it's a question of whether or not there's actually a problem.

It seems to me that the issue lies mainly with the internal audit process. Firstly, making it an "NC" vs "Obs" is going to cause you all kinds of problems in the future and I'd recommend that you stop doing it. Secondly, citing the standard isn't really the right thing for internal auditors - hence the described problem.

Your internal auditors should have done some research of the stockroom, its processes, documentation and goals/objectives. It's far easier, when discovering this type of clear performance issue, to make a case for action. There's clearly further investigation needed here, if they are tracking something, know it's off where it really should be (do you have such a metric established?) and that someone hasn't even attempted to document any actions.

Rather than waste time debating the grading and which element of the standard is applicable, use the opportunity to go back and see what's going on here!

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

During a recent internal audit, the audit team saw a chart in the stockroom that was being used to track ongoing accuracy of kit pulls. Aside from the dismal numbers reporting an average of 70% accuracy, they questioned the stockroom manager if there were targets established or any documented corrective actions. When he reported that neither existed, they documented it as a finding under 8.5.1:

8.5.1 Continual Improvement
The organization shall continually improve the effectiveness of the quality management system through the use of the quality policy, quality objectives, audit results, analysis of data, corrective and preventive actions and management review.

As the quality manager, I have final review and approval responsibility for audit reports prior to submittal to management. In discussing with the audit team, I feel that this is an observation rather than a finding. The poor numbers do need addressing, and it will be reported regardless of classification. However, this metric is being tracked only within the confines of the stockroom group for their use. No reporting is being done outside of the chart noted during the audit, and no target has been established.

Your inputs are appreciated....
BubbaDog,

Failure to establish a target for kit pulls? Or failure to establish criteria for improving performance?

If you take a look at clause 4.1c you will see that ISO 9001 requires criteria for effective operation of the management system's processes including its process for managing continual improvement.

It looks to me that you have. 4.1c nonconformity.

John

I feel your answer is too simplistic, John! You are correct that there appears to have been a lack of an established set of criteria for effective process control etc.

However, that said, the auditors appear to have "stumbled" on this chart being used and the tracking, etc! Why? If management haven't established correct criteria, it wouldn't have taken an internal audit team to discover this. They shouldn't even have spent their time starting out...

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I feel your answer is too simplistic, John! You are correct that there appears to have been a lack of an established set of criteria for effective process control etc.

However, that said, the auditors appear to have "stumbled" on this chart being used and the tracking, etc! Why? If management haven't established correct criteria, it wouldn't have taken an internal audit team to discover this. They shouldn't even have spent their time starting out...
Andy,

Yes, we are missing a vital bit of evidence.

Does the manager want to improve the accuracy of kit pulling or not?

John

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
So the stock room manager has some personal initiative and develops a "metric" he wants to look at. Then some QA auditor comes in, sees a chart on the wall, and kicks him in the butt because he doesn't have a "target" or corrective actions. And then we wonder why there is no buy in from the organization?

The "target" is obvious -- 100%. So what is the trend? Maybe he was at 50% a few months ago. If the trend is going up, he may be doing a lot of little things to make improvements. Why is it necessary to have "documented" corrective actions?

At best, it is an opportunity, not a finding. If you make it a "finding" your "punishing" him because he is not doing in "right," according to you (which is arguable). Now he is on the defensive. How different would it be if someone from QA or Management (probably with a little more knowledge about metrics) came to the stock room manager and said "looks like you have an interesting metric, do you need any help with it."

B

BubbaDog56

Thanks for the inputs, valuable and appreciated. I know our audit, classification, and reporting process needs improvement, which is an exercise in itself.

Due to a customer requirement, we were forced to put the cart before the horse and start internal audits without being able to properly lay the groundwork first. The current structure is oriented towards negative findings, observations and OFIs only, and citing the standard for findings to allow understanding by the auditee and management. It's oriented towards finding faults primarily, with continuous improvement secondary. Unfortunately, we have no shortage of faults to find and address just to get our house in order from the nuts and bolts functional side of the standard.

But back to the matter at hand. I'm doing further research to determine exactly the origin and purpose of the chart, along with how long data has been collected and if improvements have been noted.

We are trying to not become the 'quality cops', and have done a pretty good job so far in getting buy-in from the audited groups as this being a mechanism for improvement rather than 'I'm telling Dad on you and you're in trouble'. This again is some of my reasoning for seeing this as an observation/OFI rather than a finding.

Thanks again, keep the comments coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
C Full QMS Audit and Internal Audit Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
S Internal Audit Format and Content question Internal Auditing 13
T Who should provide information I ask for? Internal Audit question Internal Auditing 4
Z ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit Question Sheet wanted Internal Auditing 3
N Question for internal audit (checklist) of all sections Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J Internal Audit question - Training failure of new employees Internal Auditing 30
C Internal Audit of Internal Calibration Laboratory - Inspection sample size question Internal Auditing 2
M IATF - Internal Audit 3 year span Internal Auditing 3
Q ISO 9001-2015 Internal audit finding Internal Auditing 12
lanley liao How to understand this words that the planning of internal audit shall take into consideration the results of previous audits? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
A Add MDSAP to Internal Audit Schedule Medical Device Related Regulations 0
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M ISO 13485:2016 internal audit checklist Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Internal Audit Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
salaheddine96 Internal audit planning Internal Auditing 2
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
E MDR internal audit Internal Auditing 1
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 12
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 10
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5