Internal Audit Question - 8.5.1 Continual Improvement

Antonio Vieira

Involved - Posts
Trusted Information Resource
Hi!

What is the meaning of "reviewing nonconformities" in 8.5.2 a) of ISO 9001:2008?
In my opinion, the purpose of this statement is to check if the action taken to correct the nonconformity has the expected effect, and the nonconformity is sustained.
This has nothing to do with the corrective action process.
Any opinion?
:)

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi!

What is the meaning of "reviewing nonconformities" in 8.5.2 a) of ISO 9001:2008?
In my opinion, the purpose of this statement is to check if the action taken to correct the nonconformity has the expected effect, and the nonconformity is sustained.
This has nothing to do with the corrective action process.
Any opinion?
:)

Ant?nio,

My take is to review the cost of the nonconformities to sort the trivial many from the vital few that are worthy of the investment in stopping their recurrence with corrective action.

...of course this is yet more risk management with even using the term.

John

Antonio Vieira

Involved - Posts
Trusted Information Resource
Ant?nio,

My take is to review the cost of the nonconformities to sort the trivial many from the vital few that are worthy of the investment in stopping their recurrence with corrective action.

...of course this is yet more risk management with even using the term.

John

Thanks John!

Shouldn?t that be done in 8.5.2 c)?
I still think that the term ?reviewing nonconformities? has to be treated in the singular. Before starting the corrective action process, we must check the status of the nonconformity we are beginning to treat.
Shouldn?t it be checking if what we have done before has stopped the nonconformity?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Ant?nio,

Yes, I should also have mentioned that I tend to combine a) and c) of 8.5.2 in comparing the annualized cost of the nonconformity against the cost of corrective action.

Correction includes verifying the correction in my book.

And the clauses 8.2.3 and 8.3 that specify correction do not refer to 8.5.2.

Whereas clause 8.2.2 does refer to 8.5.2.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom