Internal Audit Questionnaire

Ivan.Khan

Registered
Good morning/afternoon all, I am new to the Oil and Gas Industry and I recently got hired by an API Q1 certified company. I have been tasked to act as internal auditor. but I have little experience auditing.
Can someone provide me a questionnaire, of actual questions to be asking to the different departments? I have downloaded checklist with the clauses but I do not know how to actually ask for those things.

Any help witll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

qualitymanagerTT

Involved In Discussions
Good morning/afternoon all, I am new to the Oil and Gas Industry and I recently got hired by an API Q1 certified company. I have been tasked to act as internal auditor. but I have little experience auditing.
Can someone provide me a questionnaire, of actual questions to be asking to the different departments? I have downloaded checklist with the clauses but I do not know how to actually ask for those things.

Any help witll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
There should be a competence requirement in API Q1, and you should, at the very least, have received some training in how to conduct internal audits.

In my experience, auditing isn't something you can do (correctly) by reading a few articles and watching YouTube.

Did the hiring function (e.g., HR) do an assessment of your training needs when you got hired? You don't need to answer here, but the way the company operates is raising red flags for me.

Randy

Super Moderator
If you fail to plan, plan to fail

Auditing is more than a checklist, any boob can follow a checklist. If they're already Q1 certified a checklist is a waste of time because it'll just show an inital gap, you ned to get down to the nitty gritty and see if you procedures, programs or whatever are actually being followed.

AND "You need to meet API Q1 personnel competence requirements in Q1 4.3.2.2 and maintain a record of it." 2 things you apparently seem lack at this time

Ivan.Khan

Registered
Thank you four time in answering my question, I do understand your concerns as I had similar after reading the whole Q1 manual. Our company is basically a startup, it has 2 or 3 years in the market, and they used to rely on a an external contractor to perform the audits but they have decided to switch to someone in house. As a side note have participated on a few audits as listener, or trainee but never conducted one on my own.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Aside from the competency/training issues....

I have zero experience in API requirements. Having said that, I believe that regardless of the standard, no one from the outside can create a complete internal audit checklist for your company.

I have a basic "checklist" for my internal auditors to use that covers questions to be asked and items to be covered in every audit, but I also require the auditor to review the applicable internal procedures, WI, forms, etc. to use as their own source of questions and items to investigate during the audit.

Randy

Super Moderator
Well Mike unlike many here and like some here, I see API Q1 audits quite frequently during my Responsible Care audit work and I feel sorry for our friend because his leadership made a bad mistake with gtheir decision. Lack of competency about a QMS will be found out within the 1st hour and it would lead me directly to the IA during interview. It's not his fault, it's the fault of the short-sighted penny pincher at the end of the table.

Ivan, competency isn't going to be gained from here or a classroom alone, it comes from doing, doing, doing and you haven't done it. Sorry

Ivan.Khan

Registered
Thank you Randy, I appreciate your candor, doesn't help me with my particular situation but it is true. I know I can learn it in time, but at this point until I can get some formal training, Isn't there something that you may share?

Randy

Super Moderator
Yep, don't ask questions that can't reasonably be answered.

Forget the checklist, pick up your manual. procedures and all that and ask about what they say you're going to do. Verify that waht was planned is happening.

Look at previuous reports and go from them.

Again, look at what's actually supposed to be happening and if it fact it has as planned.

I'm on my way to a recertification audit tomorrow, I have 2 next week and a recert 2 weeks from now, followed up by an annual surveillance in 3 weeks, and I'm doing them across Quality, Safety & Environmental..............I don't have a checklist for any of them, I'm just using the standards involved and their documents. (mainly their stuff)

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
What's the chance your top management will bring back the contractor to teach and mentor you until you have attained the required knowledge?

Ivan.Khan

Registered
Thank you Randy.

Mike, I thought of that, though after some questioning I got the impression that the company wanted to sever ties as quickly as possible, didn't got an actual reason as to why, but it seems that the contractor as he was the one stablishing the QMS was not very objective while auditing the system that he put in place.

Top Bottom