SBS - The best value in QMS software

Internal Audit Requirements for ISO 9001 Registration

B

balliso911

Hello,
I have been tasked for the past several months with obtaining ISO 9001 certification for my company. Im sure the questions I have may seem somewhat elementary, but I greatly appreciate the help and knowledge.

With that being said, I am currently in the process of finishing up all the documented procedures. I have done a fair amount of research, internet, reading topics on this forum, a couple of books, and various contacts. The questions I have are; With me being hired on as a consultant, will I be qualified in the eyes of the registrar to perform the internal audit? Do I need any kind of "formal" training such as a classroom, online CD, powerpoint, etc... I have zero experience with ISO prior to being hired. The company i am consulting for consists of 4 employees and we dont really have the finances to outsource.

Second, does anyone recommend a registrar that services the DC area? I have contacted several through a google search but I am looking for some experienced adivse on a registrar that could best service my company. We are like i said, a small, service oriented business that provides management advise to the federal market.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Internal Audit and registration

Firstly, the auditor will never know you are a consultant - unless you have a sign on you!

But your questions are very valid, since the client will have to show you are competent. If you've little experience with this, then it's going to show in your audit results/reports. That's even if the discussion about who you are and your relationship never surfaces anything. Doing audits is very close to the CB auditor's 'heart' so it's not difficult for them to determine whether the audits are any good.

It's not a case of showing 'training', but competency and, where can you get that without attending some form of course or being mentored through the process - both of which cost money!

Small companies always struggle with this, but I can assure you that whatever is invested in auditor competency (aka training) will be paid for in a short time...

K

KathySmith

Full ISO 9001 for a four person company. I'm thinking I remember a barebones requirement for small companies like have a CAR, survey system and Quality Statement that satisfies most customer quality system requirements for small companies?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Full ISO 9001 for a four person company. I'm thinking I remember a barebones requirement for small companies like have a CAR, survey system and Quality Statement that satisfies most customer quality system requirements for small companies?
While it's true that I wouldn't expect the same elegance in a small organization's QMS - including its internal audit program - I do expect to see all of the standard's requirements met in some fashion. That includes internal audits because it's the organization's big chance to have objective reviews of its own performance, report to top management, and act on learnings.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Competency is the key, as others have clearly pointed out.

How comfortable are you with your level of understanding? Do you feel that all the studying and research has provided the knowledge needed to understand if the requirements have been met?

If you are feeling reasonably comfortable, document that self study. That provides attainment of competency at least at some level.

Even those that go through the formal classes are not always competent. There is more to it than sitting through a class. I recently audited a company who's internal auditor was totally incompetent. The nonconformances he wrote could not be understood, making it hard for the auditee to effectively respond. He called the observations he wrote nonconformances and counted them in the total of nonconformances on his report. His records were sloppy. Yet there was a 5 Day Lead Auditor's Certificate left behind to attest to his competency.

From what you have posted, you seem to be very conscientious. Do you feel you have learned enough to audit effectively? If you do, document it and go for it. I'm pretty sure you will do a better job than was done on my example.

From what you have posted, you seem to be very conscientious. Do you feel you have learned enough to audit effectively? If you do, document it and go for it. I'm pretty sure you will do a better job than was done on my example.
As we all know, thinking we're good at an assignment and having us show someone are two different things. We all *think* we can drive, in our teenage years - and some can - but for the rest of us we have still a lot to learn over many years (and in your example, Jim, some never accomplish that enlightenment).

Competency is demonstrated - to someone else! Get someone (who knows how to audit) to come in and see how you audit. Or get on a video conference and have a discussion - the right person can discover your competency by that kind of session and a review of your audit planning and findings etc.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
As we all know, thinking we're good at an assignment and having us show someone are two different things. We all *think* we can drive, in our teenage years - and some can - but for the rest of us we have still a lot to learn over many years (and in your example, Jim, some never accomplish that enlightenment).

Competency is demonstrated - to someone else! Get someone (who knows how to audit) to come in and see how you audit. Or get on a video conference and have a discussion - the right person can discover your competency by that kind of session and a review of your audit planning and findings etc.
Your approach would compliment mine. No need to cast it as an adversarial one.

However, how many internal auditor competency records really use your approach? Most are from records of training alone.

S

ssz102

say my comments: both inner audit and training must be done, but for your company actually status, you can to do simply including develop documents

Your approach would compliment mine. No need to cast it as an adversarial one.

However, how many internal auditor competency records really use your approach? Most are from records of training alone.
Not adversarial, Jim, just higher standards! That's why I post here - to engage people in a higher standard than doing things to pass audits! I care not for what could get past a CB auditor, but what is beneficial for the organization!

J

JaneB

Sorry Kathy, but this just isn't correct. There's no such thing as 'full' or 'partial' ISO 9001, just ISO 9001, whether you're a large company or a smaller one. If you are certifed by an external party, you have to meet all applicable requirements, no exceptions.

But the system itself can and should be appropriate to the size of the company, which ISO 9001 also covers. I wouldn't want to put in a 'very large company' system into a very small company, or vice versa.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P IATF 16949 - Internal Audit Frequency Requirements Internal Auditing 2
S Internal Audit Man-days requirements using IAF MD9 General Auditing Discussions 2
X Internal Audit Trainer Qualifications Requirements (TS 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M ISO 13485 Audit Questions - Internal Auditor Training and other Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Internal Audit requirements in a One Man Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
F Internal Audit quiz - Auditor Qualifications and Requirements Internal Auditing 34
R Internal Audit Scope Requirements - Audit Nonconformance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
E Internal Audit Requirements of an ISO 14001 system ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
J Current Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 7
C ISO/TS16949 Requirements for Internal Audit Trainer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
P Can an outside consultant audit all the AS9100 requirements including Internal Audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
F Changing the Frequency of Internal Audits - ISO/TS 16949 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 5
M Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 28
S Internal Audit Closure Certification Report - FDA Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T ISO/TS 16949:2009 Internal Audit Requirements - Your Interpretation Internal Auditing 31
O Internal Audit of Customer Specific Requirements Checklist - Where to start? Internal Auditing 9
M Typical requirements for Internal Audit Lead Auditors Internal Auditing 5
S What Statutory & Regulatory Requirements can an ISO 9001 internal auditor audit Internal Auditing 15
P ISO/TS 16949 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 9
I Remote Location Internal Audit Requirements - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
D ISO 14001 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 24
W Certified/Registered vs. Compliant only - Internal Audit requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Use of VDA 6.3 to meet TS Internal Audit requirements General Auditing Discussions 2
Q ISO 17011 (Conformity assessment - General requirements..) Internal Audit Tips wanted Internal Auditing 12
A Internal Auditing - AS9100 Followup Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 4
R Chrysler CSR November 2007 - Internal Audit Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 35
E To conduct ISO 17025 Internal Audit - Auditor Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
R Internal Audit Requirements - All clauses and subclauses covered over the audit cycle Internal Auditing 9
E ISO/TS 16949 Internal Audit requirements for shifts Internal Auditing 10
K ISO 14001 Internal Compliance Audit - 5.2 "...other identified requirements to..." Internal Auditing 3
S Internal Audit requirements for TS16949 Internal Auditing 1
P TS 16949 Internal Audit Requirements - What to cover in each shift? Internal Auditing 13
C Internal Audit Schedule - Documentation requirements for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 10
H VDA 6.1 - 3.1 Internal Audit Requirements vs. QS-9000 IA Requirements VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
J QS-9000 Internal Audit Training Requirements Internal Auditing 4
Marc ISO9000 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 2
A Add MDSAP to Internal Audit Schedule Medical Device Related Regulations 0
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M ISO 13485:2016 internal audit checklist Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Internal Audit Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
salaheddine96 Internal audit planning Internal Auditing 2
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
E MDR internal audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7