Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule?

I was hoping for some clarification on this matter from people more experienced then myself.
We had a surveillance visit for our 9001 and 14001 IMS recently and some of the things the auditor ‘recommended’ we do strike me as just plain wrong.
He asked to see our internal audit schedule, which I gave him, and it showed that our schedule runs January to December and we had done a full system audit in June, two partial ones in September and October and there was another partial one due in December. He told me that I needed to change my audit schedule so that all our internal audits were completed between his visits (i.e. November to November) and that the internal audit we had scheduled in December counted as slippage as it was not completed for his visit.
Now, I am new to 9001 and 14001, but as far as I can see it does not state anywhere in either standard that the audits have to be scheduled like that. It just says you have to set and stick to a schedule, which I have done.
When I said as much to him and that the December audit can’t count as being missed as it hasn’t happened yet he was dismissive and insisted it meant 25% of our scheduled audits hadn’t been completed and would therefore be a non-conformance, so it had to be changed.
So, is there some clause that I am missing here or is he just trying to make me fit our IMS around him?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

AliGuff

Starting to get Involved
I was hoping for some clarification on this matter from people more experienced then myself.
We had a surveillance visit for our 9001 and 14001 IMS recently and some of the things the auditor ‘recommended’ we do strike me as just plain wrong.
He asked to see our internal audit schedule, which I gave him, and it showed that our schedule runs January to December and we had done a full system audit in June, two partial ones in September and October and there was another partial one due in December. He told me that I needed to change my audit schedule so that all our internal audits were completed between his visits (i.e. November to November) and that the internal audit we had scheduled in December counted as slippage as it was not completed for his visit.
Now, I am new to 9001 and 14001, but as far as I can see it does not state anywhere in either standard that the audits have to be scheduled like that. It just says you have to set and stick to a schedule, which I have done.
When I said as much to him and that the December audit can’t count as being missed as it hasn’t happened yet he was dismissive and insisted it meant 25% of our scheduled audits hadn’t been completed and would therefore be a non-conformance, so it had to be changed.
So, is there some clause that I am missing here or is he just trying to make me fit our IMS around him?

AliGuff

Starting to get Involved
I agree your auditor is wrong.

Do you have a "procedure" outlining your audit process? In my previous role ours stated we had a 2 year rolling audit plan. In my new job it is a three year audit plan.

If your process states you complete all internal audits within a 12 month procedure, auditor may have a point but 9.2.1 states " . . conduct internal audits at planned intervals . . " It doesn't specify how long the planned intervals should be

Yes, we have a procedure and it states

"Internal Audits are carried out by the Company to monitor the various processes that make up the IMS. The internal audits are planned to ensure a full system audit is carried out within a 12-month period as a minimum. Critical areas or problem areas may be audited more frequently if required."

The full system audit had been completed, so the minimum requirement for our system had been fulfilled. But that is beside the point I think as he didn't even look at our procedure to make sure we were sticking to it. He just looked at the schedule and said change it.
By the end of December, all internal audits will have been completed in the scheduled 12-month period and the new schedule will start in January.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
If I understand this correctly. you did not complete your internal audit prior to the surveillance visit.
The auditor can only see what has already been accomplished, not what you have a plan for doing in the future.

You should have completed the internal audit prior to the surveillance. The nonconformance makes sense.

RSEGRIGGY

Involved In Discussions
If I understand this correctly. you did not complete your internal audit prior to the surveillance visit.
The auditor can only see what has already been accomplished, not what you have a plan for doing in the future.

You should have completed the internal audit prior to the surveillance. The nonconformance makes sense.
It looks like he had completed a full system audit in June, before the surveillance audit.

Did you have an audit scheduled/completed for the December before the surveillance audit?

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
I don't think there is a finding that can be backed up by a requirement. Even if he said he couldn't see the December audit, he could have seen the audit from the previous cycle, as i assume it would be available if you keep a similar, rolling, schedule.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I think the auditor is wrong. It is possible to have a 3-year internal audit plan for 9001 where (crudely speaking) each year roughly 1/3 of the processes are audited. Also, the fact that in additional to your partials you also had a full internal audit during the year makes his complaint laughable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
J AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule Internal Auditing 25
D Please share your IATF 16949 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule Internal Auditing 13
P Internal Audit Schedule Complexity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 3
A Developing a ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
M Example Internal Audit Schedule wanted Internal Auditing 47
S No Audit Schedule and Internal Audit not Performed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
L R2 Certification Internal Audit Plan, Audit Sheet, and Schedule Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Help me with preparing Internal Audit Schedule based on Risk analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Internal Audit Schedule Conformance Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 31
L ISO 13485 Internal Audit Schedule example needed Internal Auditing 9
M QSIT-Based ISO 13485 Internal Audit Schedule Internal Auditing 8
C Does anyone have an example of an ISO 14001 Internal Audit Schedule ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
J Timing of an Internal Audit Schedule ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
R Receiving inspection and Internal Audit schedule ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
J Internal Audit Schedule - Please review my Internal Audit Schedule Internal Auditing 19
S Internal Audit Procedure and Schedule example Internal Auditing 2
T Internal Audit Plan/Schedule wanted Internal Auditing 19
J Internal Audit schedule & Process Audit Checklists Internal Auditing 3
U Internal Audit Schedule for Multi-site certificate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Internal Audits not performed - Useful data from internal audit schedule Internal Auditing 31
V Creating an ISO 14001 Internal Audit schedule Internal Auditing 13
GStough Internal Audit Frequency Schedule: Monthly, Quarterly, or Bi-Annually? Internal Auditing 46
V Is there a requirement for Internal Audit Schedule to be Approved? Internal Auditing 11
P The Optimal IA Schedule - How should the Internal Audit Schedule be set up? General Auditing Discussions 26
N Creating an Internal Audit Schedule Internal Auditing 48
B TS16949 internal audit schedule template Internal Auditing 4
A Internal Audit Schedule Updates - Necessity of a revision date on the schedule Internal Auditing 8
B ISO 13485 Internal Audit Schedule needed Internal Auditing 2
R ISO19011 Internal Audit Schedule - Should it have to be approved? General Auditing Discussions 12
W Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Examples - Quality Audits Internal Auditing 14
R Internal Audit Schedule samples Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L Internal Audit Schedule - Frequency of internal audits Internal Auditing 9
Crusader Internal Auditing to ISO 9001 - How to schedule/plan and perform an ISO audit Internal Auditing 31
T Developing TS-16949 Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Example and Advice Internal Auditing 9
F AS9100 Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
C Internal Audit Schedule - Documentation requirements for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 10
R Problem interpreting Element 4.17.1 Internal Audit Schedule Internal Auditing 3
R Internal audit schedules - Where does it say that I need an annual schedule? Internal Auditing 13
M Changing the internal audit schedule Internal Auditing 11
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16