Internal Audit Team - The number of internal auditors a company should have

S

SwidenS

Is there a standard or a recommendation regarding the number of internal auditors a company should have? For instance a company of 1000 employees should have an audit team of X members? (Or, given full-time and part-time auditors X hours of audit hours per month?)

I have looked at ISO 10011-1 and cannot find anything. I also have not been able to get a response from RAB.

Does anyone know if there is a guideline, what it is or where I can find it?

Thank you in advance.

Shari

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
There's no standard requirement. It depends upon your company needs and how you want to structure things. You could have 1 auditor who only audits. Or you could have 50 auditors who each audit once a year.

I'm sure you will get some replies from others who have come up with a 'rule of thumb' for their comnpany - but again be warned - what is right for 1 company isn't always right for another.

G
There is no rule of thumb regarding the number of internal auditors, but in an article in Quality online I read that Dan Bridget (Lead Assessor) estimated that for a company employing 100 - 300 people, 10 - 12 internal auditors should cover it, other articles I have read elsewhere mention anything from 1 per 50 employees to 5 for medium sized manufacturing plant, so all things being equal it really depends on the size and complexity of your operation and the experience and time availability of your internal auditors.

Q

Qualiman

SwedenS:

Is my point of view that despite of there is no place where a written rule is given related this topic, is not covenient having only ONE internal Auditor, because..Who will audit s/he ?.

If I were you probably would apply the rule of having from 3 to 5 folks for a micro/small company, less than 50 souls and 5 to 10 folks for a medium sized company,let's say less than 200. For bigger plants it is really a matter of making numbers.

I have 2 more points of view :

1) If you have a very limited number of auditors (supose 2 or 3) you have the risk that they would have another urgent duties related their own activities during the week of the audit,hence the importance of having enough people (not to many of course)in order to face that kind of emergencies.

2) I am convinced that in the case of companies that have the problem that the majority of people is not awere or convinced to change their attitude towards quality or any other type of possitive change they consider "allien or strange", the internal audits would have a very helpful "double role" function: One >> Being a very professional auditor during the audit and, of course, avoiding the role of consultant during the audit, but afterwords s/he will be a "change promoter" in his own department in order to push the closing of non conformances, taking care of going deep to find the root causes of problems and the application of preventive actions, convinced that is better to "wash the dirty cloth at home" before external visitors arrive. This second "personality" has been in my experience very very helpful in small/medium sized companies, making possible the establishment of a "quality gang" in most of the cases more effective than an "official" Quality Comitee, that also in most of the cases is only a corporative "show". The activities of quality gang after the internal audits do not brake any "judge and jury" or any other rule.

Qualiman

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
All in all there is no rule...just opinions, and i believe probably as many opinions as there are people...

I will be addressing a convention in November on this issue including contract-vs-inhouse auditors..it all falls under the same umbrella...anyway, the attendance is expected to be at max....or close to it..WHY do you think that is?
Its a very difficult call, and all you can do to address it, is trial and error...what works for you, your company and the audit team at....at this moment in time...????

Far too many factors to give a rule ...

BTW..the session is on what to consider and how to make that decision.....anyone got some comments to add to that?

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 12 March 2000).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Is it required to have a Lead Internal Auditor on the Internal Audit Team? ISO 14001 Internal Auditing 3
Q What are the benefits of a Cross-Functional Internal Audit Team? Internal Auditing 14
E Internal Audit for Project Management Team - Construction Industry Internal Auditing 8
J Internal Audit Teams - How big the audit team should be and who should be on it General Auditing Discussions 6
F Advantages of a designated Internal Audit team? General Auditing Discussions 7
Crusader Your Internal Audit Team: Internal or Hired External? Outsourcing Internal Audits Internal Auditing 97
J Internal Audit Team - Small or Large Pool? Internal Auditing 7
B Our QS9000 audit team has been using checklists to perform internal audits Internal Auditing 37
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 5
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 1
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
J Microsoft Teams to manage Internal Audit System? Internal Auditing 3
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28