Internal Audit Training Material to Train Internal Auditors for ISO9001:2000

B

bbolden

I am looking for some good training material to train internal auditors for ISO9001:2000. Does anyone have a PowerPoint, training activites, or handouts that they have used in the past that has worked. Thanks for your help in advance.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Internal Audit Training

I am looking for some good training material to train internal auditors for ISO9001:2000. Does anyone have a PowerPoint, training activites, or handouts that they have used in the past that has worked. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hello, and welcome to The Cove Forums. :bigwave: :bigwave:

You may begin by scrolling down this page and click on the links.

Then you do a search, and you'll find great materials for your training.
Some assembly is required.;)

Again, welcome and do come back often.

Stijloor.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

It can be done internally, but as a consultant, allow me to make a recommendation. If you are an experienced auditor, skillful in doing a process auditing approach, you can get good results internally. However, as a trainer, I would strongly recommend you retain a good trainer with a a good training program.

This will be an expensive few days of training, even if you do it internally. Further, the results of the internal audits can provide the company many thousands of dollars of value if done well. If not done well, the audits will just churn through time and produce much less results.

The cost should not be viewed as the cost of training, it should be viewed as the cost of missed improvements over time. That can be vastly more expensive than any training you contract. Good auditing is not easy, and training for it should be handled by very proficient trainers.

(Shameless Plug - I, and some others on this forum, provide good training programs for auditors. I have had very good success with my current "Auditing for Improvement" internal audit system training. I would give serious consideration to using (good) outside help. This is an area where saving money actually costs many times the perceived savings.)

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Internal audit should be a value-added process, finding opportunities for improvement, finding systemic problems in your processes, diving a little deeper than reviewing the turtle and metrics.

An experienced trainer (and auditor) will give you a wealth of information during these training days that goes beyond a standard 19011 training.

In my opinioin, it worth the investment.

D

DsqrdDGD909

Is this refresher or initial training? Have you assessed the objectivity, competency and impartiality of the internal auditors?

B

bbolden

It will be initial training for most. The other internal auditors have not conducted an audit for some time. The lead auditors in our company have been conducting all of the audits. I am wanting to expand the number of auditors so we can perform better audits that are focused more toward the process approach.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Is this refresher or initial training? Have you assessed the objectivity, competency and impartiality of the internal auditors?

Since "Auditing for Improvement" is not the focus of most audit training curriculums, it is designed for both new auditors and experienced auditors. It is a new approach using a proprietary system we put together, to lead auditors through an appropriate, thorough "process approach" audit.

I would say that is baked into the purpose of the training. To teach people to "Audit for Improvement" effectively, addresses objectivity and developing competence.

Impartiality would have to be controlled when auditors are assigned specific processes to audit.

The thing I am excited about, is after many iterations, we finally have developed a checksheet system that leads auditors down the right paths of all the process audit linkages and rabbit trails, which so easily get missed. We also teach some audit concepts that are nontraditional, and cause auditors to look for things they have not looked for before.

Essentially, I took the things a good third party auditor learns, and distlled it into a system that internal auditors with less experience can still master and follow. been getting good feedback. It is the right approach for companies to follow, whether they use my system, or develop their own. merely auditing for ISO compliance is a diminishing return on value.

AndyN

Moved On
It will be initial training for most. The other internal auditors have not conducted an audit for some time. The lead auditors in our company have been conducting all of the audits. I am wanting to expand the number of auditors so we can perform better audits that are focused more toward the process approach.

Can I add a word of caution?

You say you want to expand the number of auditors to get better audits. In fact adding new auditors will not improve the results, since they will be somewhat inexperienced. I'd suggest getting someone (like Helmut) in to work with your current auditors to see what can be improved, before you spend money on more training. Too many cooks spoil the audit...........:lol:

M

Matt M - 2009

On the one hand I do agree with Andy about exspansion plans. However I ran into a similar problem here where the same auditors had been doing them so long that they fell into a bare minimum approach. The number of auditors had decreased so much that the few who were left would be doing too many to be done effectively. Expanding the program and having the new auditors work along side the experienced ones proved effective.
It is worth doing a search right here on this site, there was lots of useful material that I found posted by others that answered questions and filled in gaps.

Top Bottom