Internal Audit vs. Customer Audits - Can we count Customer Audits as IAs?

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Internal Audit

Hi :bigwave:

Our spec says that we have to perform internal audit at least once every year or as needed. Customers are visiting as rampantly and they also performing an audit to the company's quality system.

My concern is that, can we omit the usual internal audit since we were been audited by our customers? In this regard, how are we going to show to the third party auditors that we omit the traditional internal audit?

Audits coming from our customers shows an affirmative result and we have documents to show on how do we track closure of any nonconformance found by the internal auditor of our customers.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Internal Audit

Raffy said:
---X---
My concern is that, can we omit the usual internal audit since we were been audited by our customers? In this regard, how are we going to show to the third party auditors that we omit the traditional internal audit?
---X---
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:
Hullo Raffy,

Sorry.... In one word: No.

If we're talking ISO9001, this is one of the shalls. Another shall is that you have to plan an audit programme, "taking in to consideration the status and importance of the processes and areas to be audited, as well as the results of previous audits".

Now, I'm certain that you know your company and its processes far better than any customer or third party auditor. You will find things they cannot possibly find.

/Claes

D

David Mullins

Yes you can - if you are satisfied with regard to the scope of the audit, that elements x,y,z are covered, that processes are examined etc, then why not.

Personally I'd put an internal audit report over the customer/external report (like a cover sheet), stating what the outcomes of the audit were, noting NCRs raised, etc, and YOUR system can then follow the actions through just like any other internal audit NCRs.

I'd wouldn't have a problem with it, so long as you didn't rely entirely on externals, and were evaluating your system and processes yourself to a responsible level.

Jim Wade said:
---X---
All you need to show is that you have control over the utsourced process.
Yep... That's one possibility, of course. And David is right too: If the customers are considerate enough to cover your entire audit scope.

/Claes

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

My question is "Are your customers going to continue to "visit you rampantly" and audit to your QMS?

One of my fears with relying on your customers' audits is that you will end up with differing "requirements" from each one of them which could (would?) lead to an unmanageable system.

Unless your customers are that exceptional (please send them my way!!), they have you as a supplier because you are the "experts" and would rely on your expertise to keep your systems under control with the caveat of continuously improving them.

I would tend to go along with Claes' first reply - you know your business more thoroughly than your customers do and if you don't keep an "internal eye" on it, looking for "improvement opportunities" and at least maintaining "status quo" (yuck), you will have customers visiting for different reasons.

Just my take on it.
Bill

Bill, yuo said;
"One of my fears with relying on your customers' audits is that you will end up with differing "requirements" from each one of them which could (would?) lead to an unmanageable system."

Excellent point. That's the present condition with QS and it will be the future condition with TS.
We supply products to the U.S., European and far east auto market, and not one of them have the same requirements.

Scope and Schedule

There are requirements on how often to audit (based on the status and importance and the results of previous audits). My question is can you show that the "customer" audits are consistent enough to meet this requirement? Also, the intent of the auditing is to make sure you know your complete QMS is working. Are the audits being performed at intervals and detail enough to allow this?

I would tend to think that using customer audits would not have enough "planning" to meet your needs (let alone the requirements). What you could do is to tailor your auditing to fill in the gaps.

Audit methods

You can meet the 'audit' requirements via management reviews and/or process improvement team activities.
Jim, you've brought this up before. I'm not confident that these activities alone would meet the need (I'm not talking about meeting the requirement, I'm talking about meeting the need). Having said that, perhaps the methods used to collect the data for the management review might do the trick.

I think the key here, and you would agree, is not to think of audits as the same method that the registrar uses. "All roads leads to Rome", and you can take any number of them you wish as long as you arrive in Rome when you are finished.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

db & Jim

While I agree with your "tailoring" comments, I don't know that I buy into "losing" the walkaround type of audit. Where do you get the input from for the management reviews and/or process improvement team if you don't get out on the floor and assess what is going on??

Bill
(Prepared for the incoming bombs)

While I agree with your "tailoring" comments, I don't know that I buy into "losing" the walkaround type of audit. Where do you get the input from for the management reviews and/or process improvement team if you don't get out on the floor and assess what is going on??
Prepared for the incoming bombs
No bomb Bill. I happen to think the walkaround type of audit is a very valuable tool. I use it almost exclusively. My comment is that toooooooo many times we do something because that is the way we've always done it. It might be beneficial to think about alternative methods to supplement the conventional. The more ways we look at something (within reason) the better our understanding will be.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T "Customer Specific" Internal Audit suggestions needed Internal Auditing 12
U Customer Audit Nonconformity on Internal Audit Program done by Corporate QA General Auditing Discussions 19
S Internal Audit - No Proof of Acceptance of Customer New Payment Terms Internal Auditing 10
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
ScottK Using Customer Audits as part of the Internal Audit Plan for ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A Internal Audit-Customer Related Processes Internal Auditing 2
O Internal Audit of Customer Specific Requirements Checklist - Where to start? Internal Auditing 9
L Internal Audit to Focus on Customer Complaint Re-occurrences Internal Auditing 4
SteelMaiden Customer's Internal Audit - SQA - Supplier ISO 9001 Certificate Expired Internal Auditing 11
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 5
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 1
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
J Microsoft Teams to manage Internal Audit System? Internal Auditing 3