Internal Auditing - How can I audit my QMS independently?

L

lennon121

I am running a Quality Management system of one person and have no other internal auditors trained, I am trying to get away from using external companies to carry out internal auditing, however, how can I audit my QMS independantly?

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Re: Internal auditing

I am running a Quality Management system of one person and have no other internal auditors trained, I am trying to get away from using external companies to carry out internal auditing, however, how can I audit my QMS independantly?

You are the only person in the company? Then you can't audit independently.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Internal Auditing - How can I audit my QMS independantly?

To ensure the impartiality , you shall be in two at least, or using external resources.
Are you sure to be ISO certified?
Sometimes when there is one man company, it is not usefull because you are the "system".:bigwave:

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Depending on the nature of your industry and your networking abilities, is there another organization in your area that is in a similiar situation? If yes, could the two of you develop an agreement (with the 'blessing' from senior management) to audit each other where needed?

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

One of the changes to ISO 19011:2011 does make an attempt at heling us understand more with regards to independence:

Independence: Auditors should be independent of the activity being audited wherever practicable, and should in all cases act in a manner that is free from bias and conflict of interest. For internal audits, auditors should be independent from the operating managers of the function being audited. Auditors should manitain objectivity throughout the audit process to ensure that the audit findings and conclusions are based only on the audit evidence.

For small organisations it may not be possible for auditors to be fully independent of the activity being audited, but every effort should be made to remove bias and encourage objectivity.

My emphasis in bold.

Big Jim

Re: Internal auditing

You are the only person in the company? Then you can't audit independently.
Let's not forget that the OP mentioned that this is a one many company. The requirement for auditors to not audit their own work would apply here, and everything in a one man company is that one man's work.

Randy

Super Moderator
Independence isn't seperation, it's a freedom from undue bias or influence.

The problem you've identified is one of the biggest HOR$E$HIT problems with 9001, on one hand it states that it can be used by any organization or any size and on the hand it limits organizations through the goofy "Thou shalt not audit thine old work" statement:horse:

Basically the "writers" are making a pre-judgement against smaller organization ethics

L

lennon121

Thanks for all your comments, it isn't a one man company, its a one man Quality team, thus when auditing doc control or audits, NCRs etc without others trained I couldn't independantly audit my own work. Thanks to Colin though, I haven't had time to read this new auditing standard!

qusys

Thanks for all your comments, it isn't a one man company, its a one man Quality team, thus when auditing doc control or audits, NCRs etc without others trained I couldn't independantly audit my own work. Thanks to Colin though, I haven't had time to read this new auditing standard!
I do not see this as a problem. I have understood that you conduct internal audits as well as contribute to the generation of QMS documentation.
You audit following process approach: once you have set documented procedure together mgmt and with approval of mgmt representative , you can check for compliance as well veirfy the effectiveness of your QMS processes.
The only thing that could be a problem is that you cannot audit your own work to assure impartiality. For example you cannot audit internal audit given that you conduct the internal audit.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Auditing - Audit to the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18
L Auditing Design and Development in ISO 9001 (Internal Audit) Internal Auditing 1
R On Auditing Internal Audit Process - How Independence can be Established Internal Auditing 4
R Auditing a process outside the realm of the formal Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Auditing the Internal Audit Process - 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 2
J Auditing the Internal Auditing Process - Audit Nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 3
K Sample Questions for Auditing Management Rep , Internal Audit and Reg. Compliance Internal Auditing 7
S Auditing the Top Management during the Opening Meeting of Internal Audit Internal Auditing 21
V Internal Quality Audit - Themes for auditing the company QMS Internal Auditing 1
P NC from TS16949 stage 2 audit - Internal Auditing - Auditor did not record evidence General Auditing Discussions 15
C Who is responsible for auditing the Internal Audit system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 56
W Internal Auditing - Processs Audit vs. Element Audit - ISO 9001 Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 6
A Internal Auditing - AS9100 Followup Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 4
Y How do you Perform Internal Audit on your Internal Auditing System? Internal Auditing 18
A Intercompany auditing - ISO Internal Audit of Sister Companies General Auditing Discussions 5
M Internal Auditing of our APQP Process - Who can audit APQP? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Crusader Internal Auditing to ISO 9001 - How to schedule/plan and perform an ISO audit Internal Auditing 31
T Second Party Internal Auditing - If I go to company to do an audit what do I do? Internal Auditing 4
Marc Sample Size in Auditing - Percentage audited when performing an internal audit Internal Auditing 8
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
G AS9101 Rev F - Worksheets for internal auditing AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
S ISO 13485:2016 and MDSAP internal auditing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Is Automated Internal Auditing Possible? Internal Auditing 13
C Internal Auditing Requirements (ISO 9001:2008) Internal Auditing 3
sswaim Auditing Internal Laboratory Personnel for Competence General Auditing Discussions 4
K Internal Auditing a previous Nonconformance? Internal Auditing 19
P Recommended books on ISO 27001:2013 Implementation and Internal Auditing IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
M Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
B ISO/TS16949 Internal Auditing - How many auditors? Internal Auditing 4
bgoers PFMEA, Internal Auditing, Corrective Action Training In Native Language (China) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Gman2 Internal Auditing Requirements before ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Auditing TS 16949 Cl. 7.6.3.1 - Internal Calibration Laboratory Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T ISO 9001 Internal Auditing Auditor Training in Amsterdam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S In an internal auditing desert and I'm the only one here.... AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 15
G Internal Auditing in a Multi-Site Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
B Internal Auditing of MDD and CMDR Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
O Internal Auditing in small Engineering company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Looking for a webinar on Internal Auditing General Auditing Discussions 3