Internal Auditing in a one-man company

N

neyveliravi

The internal audit cannot be carried out by the same process owner. As you are the only man, you can ask any trained internal auditor to carry out audit for your entire processes. I am doing such audit for a one man company here.

Best wishes.

J

Jason PCSwitches

The internal audit cannot be carried out by the same process owner. As you are the only man, you can ask any trained internal auditor to carry out audit for your entire processes. I am doing such audit for a one man company here.

Best wishes.

So adding additional costs to an organization for the purpose of conducting internal audits is an added value how??

J

JRKH

So adding additional costs to an organization for the purpose of conducting internal audits is an added value how??

I would say that it adds value in the same way that paying an external company to audit you for certification adds value....It simply becomes a cost of doing business.

Additionally, - I this just occurs to me...It may not necessarily cost much if anything....
The standard does not make any requirements for the qualifications of an internal auditor (unless that has changed) so, for a "one man operation", what prevents a family member, spouse, adult child, or a friend or another business associate etc from doing the audit for free?
In the case of business associate it could you audit me and I'll audit you. In the casee of a family member it simply helps "dad" out.

Perhaps some will think my idea above impractical, but I don't know if anything in the standards (as I recall them) that would prevent it.

Peace
James

N

neyveliravi

Yes I agree.
If you have some person to help, regardless of any qualification,
then they can do the audit of your process. But, Please keep in mind, that they should have trained to do internal audit. At least, create records that they are trained for internal audit.

J

JRKH

Yes I agree.
then they can do the audit of your process. But, Please keep in mind, that they should have trained to do internal audit. At least, create records that they are trained for internal audit.

I would certainly never propose this as some way around the standard. certainly they should be trained. But if I may offer a senerio....
I have a shop that makes signs, and various items from wood for sale and I work alone. My wife is a Registered nurse - RN,BS, MBA, and has "done it all" including various management positions.
I decide to gain ISO certification for my shop. I ask my very intelligent wife if she will look over the standard and see if she can act as my auditor...
Do you think that my wife could be able to perform adequately?
I do....Thus I have a "contract auditor" who costs me nothing (well maybe a kiss)

Peace
James

J

Jason PCSwitches

Yes I agree.

There is though the whole problem of competence and awareness!!!!

J

JaneB

I stand firm on the fact that ISO 9001:2008 conflicts with itself, on one hand it states that it is applicable to any organization but in the Requirements (shall's) it punishes small organizations by saying the one person organization can't audit his own work. Absolute conflict and it automatically assumes that people cannot be trusted.
Yes, I fully agree with you about the internal conflict in the Standard here. This aspect makes it rather difficult for a very tiny (eg, 1-person) businesses. Plus it's a little hard to argue that 'internal audit' adds a lot of value in a 1-person biz.

skb76

Involved In Discussions
8.2.2 questions need to ask under the clause itself?

actually i understood what the 8.2.2 IA means ..

BUT what questions needed to be ask under the 8.2.2 under the clause itself?

coz the IA NEED to be reported/documented as 'PROOF'; IA has been done like others clauses..(to show to the external auditor)

p/s advise
thanks!..

AndyN

Moved On
Re: 8.2.2 questions need to ask under the clause itself?

actually i understood what the 8.2.2 IA means ..

BUT what questions needed to be ask under the 8.2.2 under the clause itself?

coz the IA NEED to be reported/documented as 'PROOF'; IA has been done like others clauses..(to show to the external auditor)

p/s advise
thanks!..

Welcome! Can you give us a little more information? When you ask "what questions need to be asked under 8.2.2, what do you mean?

skb76

Involved In Discussions
Re: 8.2.2 questions need to ask under the clause itself?

Thanks for the early reply!

or my inquiry should be like this; my ncr from external auditor:
(NO EVIDENCE that the internal audit conducted COVERED ISO9001:2008 CLAUSE 8.2.2 Internal Audit) ..

Top Bottom