Internal Auditing of MDD and CMDR Requirements

B

BigManP

I recently went through an ISO 13485 audit with our notified body. In addition, we are audited to Part 1 of the Canadian Medical Device Regulations and 93/42/EEC Annex II 3.2. During the Internal Audit section of the audit, we got a minor nonconformance for not including EU and Canadian labeling requirements in the scope of our internal audits. While I agree that is within the scope of the NB audit, I don't see the requirement that it has to be included in our internal audit schedule. Can anyone point me to that link? Furthermore, the auditor only wrote us up for the labeling requirements, do other parts of the MMD or CMDR need to be covered by internal audits?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Paul

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

sreenu927

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Paul,

Usually the internal audit schedule will/should cover Health Canada and MDD requirements, apart from ISO 13485 in a broader sense. May not be specific to each and every clause or section , as audit is based on sampling; may not be 100% audit. If you indicate in your internal audit schedule that the scope is so and so systems(or functions/processes) as per ISO 13485, EU MDD and HC MDR, then you can argue with your auditor on this minor NC.

Regards,
Sreenu

rob73

looking for answers
Were labeling requirements covered during the design and development process? if so you may be able to argue that it has been covered during internal auditing of D&D. We use a simple content review of both labeling and instructions.

Attachments

B

BigManP

Thank you Sreenu and Rob for your comments. I do agree that these requirements should be covered under the scope of our NB audit, but I just don't see the direct link to the requirement that they be covered by our internal audit schedule. We also have never been written up for this in the past. Rob, while we do look at labels under D&D, we don't really have a formal method of approving them per the MDD like the table you provided. All of our devices are pretty basic and similar, so the first labels were created by following the MDD and CMDR. This format was verified by the review and approval of our NB and Health Canada. From there, I just swap out part numbers and descriptions for the new products, but the format and content is the same. They are then transposed onto blueprints and controlled that way.

In looking at 13485, is it 8.2.2 a) ...to the requirements of this International Standard and to the quality management system requirements established by the organization ... that require it to be covered? One of our quality objectives is: To demonstrate that the quality system is being achieved, maintained and continually improved in accordance with ISO 13485, FDA QSR, European MDD, Canadian CMDR and [FONT=&quot]Brazilian RDC #59. [/FONT]If so, then all requirements should be audited not just labeling. Right?

In the end, I probably need to just take it up with the auditor, but I appreciate your help so I can go into the conversation with a little more knowledge on my end.

Thanks, Paul

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Just because it has not been raised as a non conformance before, does not mean that it isn't a non conformance!

Labelling and artwork creation is an important part of the design process, even if it is simple and repetetive. I would expect the process around this to be audited. If you exclude their review and approval from the design process, I would expect to see this somewhere else and the process audited - otherwise you are not auditing your entire QMS!

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
When you get some time, see the Post attachment list and search for audit checklist. You will find several that maps ISO13485 requirements + MDD / CMDR requirements.
Your internal audit must cover scope of ISO13485 QMS + the regulatory to which your QMS aligns. You will have a cross linked reference of these regulatory requirements mapped to the ISO13485 requirements perhaps in your QMS manual or elsewhere. This must help you make a good audit program. Some aspects (like the label) could also be listed that are not linked to ISO13485 clauses. Your audit program must also consider this too. Good planning for audit is the key.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G AS9101 Rev F - Worksheets for internal auditing AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
S ISO 13485:2016 and MDSAP internal auditing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Auditing - Audit to the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18
M Is Automated Internal Auditing Possible? Internal Auditing 13
C Internal Auditing Requirements (ISO 9001:2008) Internal Auditing 3
L Auditing Design and Development in ISO 9001 (Internal Audit) Internal Auditing 1
sswaim Auditing Internal Laboratory Personnel for Competence General Auditing Discussions 4
K Internal Auditing a previous Nonconformance? Internal Auditing 19
P Recommended books on ISO 27001:2013 Implementation and Internal Auditing IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
M Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
B ISO/TS16949 Internal Auditing - How many auditors? Internal Auditing 4
bgoers PFMEA, Internal Auditing, Corrective Action Training In Native Language (China) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Gman2 Internal Auditing Requirements before ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Auditing TS 16949 Cl. 7.6.3.1 - Internal Calibration Laboratory Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T ISO 9001 Internal Auditing Auditor Training in Amsterdam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S In an internal auditing desert and I'm the only one here.... AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 15
G Internal Auditing in a Multi-Site Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
O Internal Auditing in small Engineering company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Looking for a webinar on Internal Auditing General Auditing Discussions 3
R On Auditing Internal Audit Process - How Independence can be Established Internal Auditing 4
D Auditing Abroad - Internal Audits of our European Sister Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Auditing a process outside the realm of the formal Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G New to Internal Auditing - Best questions to ask? Internal Auditing 17
M Auditing the Internal Audit Process - 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 2
J Auditing the Internal Auditing Process - Audit Nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 3
S Internal Auditing related to RISK Internal Auditing 9
W Internal Auditing - Observational Checklist for a Behavior Based System Internal Auditing 3
R Internal Auditing Checklist - Major NCR because the Checklist was not Completed Internal Auditing 17
V Depth of Internal Auditing and Training aspects in Research & Development (R & D) Internal Auditing 4
N Good Internal Auditing Training Courses Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
L Internal Auditing Reports / Documents - Design and Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N Recommend internal auditing training 101 please (Tucson or Phoenix, AZ) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
L Internal Auditing - How can I audit my QMS independently? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
C Internal Auditing - How to make it useful? Internal Auditing 36
K Sample Questions for Auditing Management Rep , Internal Audit and Reg. Compliance Internal Auditing 7
K More Positive Internal Auditing - Would This Work? Internal Auditing 8
M Internal Auditing of Area with Active Change Control Internal Auditing 14