Internal Auditor Competency based upon Skill Sets based on ISO 19011

M

madan1916

Iam in the process of coming up with the Internal Quality Auditor competency matrix, Iam planning to use the below skill sets based on ISO 19011. Let me know if this is fine to start with.

List of Skills

1. Understanding the ISO 9001:2008 standard
2. Process and Value added auditing skills
3. Understanding customer requirements
4. Presentation skills
5. Communication skills
6. Suggesting and understanding the CA and PA
7. Management and Organizational policies and procedures

C

Citizen Kane

Hi !

I think is a proper matrix to start with - you could also include it in you job description - HR. Also, you could have the Project Management skills - my opinion is that the PM approach should be included in all the aspects - this is a very usefull skill and mind-set. Another key point that you mentioned are the presentation skills - for me that's essential.

S

samsung

I am in the process of coming up with the Internal Quality Auditor competency matrix, I am planning to use the below skill sets based on ISO 19011. Let me know if this is fine to start with.

List of Skills

1. Understanding the ISO 9001:2008 standard
2. Process and Value added auditing skills
3. Understanding customer requirements
4. Presentation skills
5. Communication skills
6. Suggesting and understanding the CA and PA
7. Management and Organizational policies and procedures

Welcome to the Cove. Very good first post but I have some comments & queries:

Since an Internal Auditor is not supposed to 'suggest' any CA or PA whatever, I don't think it should form part of your matrix that you devise to evaluate their competence.

Further, I couldn't get to the 'customer requirements' ? How those fall under the scope of the Internal Auditors ?

By 'Presentation Skill', I hope you mean 'reporting of findings or report writing' skill. Is it ?

And finally, can you elaborate how you're going to measure 'Value added auditing skills' ?

J

JaneB

Madan,
Your list looks a bit like a 'reinvent the wheel' while dropping a lot of good stuff from 19011. My comment is that:

1. = Knowing the COMPANY QUALITY SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (rather than the ISO 9001:2008 standard) relevant to the audits they are doing

There were a whole bunch of competencies & attributes in 19011 that are directly relevant - but for some reason you've dropped them, or reworded them. I don't think this is wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

madan1916

Thnx a lot, will talk to HR on the Project Management skills.

M

madan1916

Welcome to the Cove. Very good first post but I have some comments & queries:

Since an Internal Auditor is not supposed to 'suggest' any CA or PA whatever, I don't think it should form part of your matrix that you devise to evaluate their competence.

Further, I couldn't get to the 'customer requirements' ? How those fall under the scope of the Internal Auditors ?

By 'Presentation Skill', I hope you mean 'reporting of findings or report writing' skill. Is it ?

And finally, can you elaborate how you're going to measure 'Value added auditing skills' ?

When I put Suggest any CA or PA I meant looking into the CA or PA satisfies for the Finding or observation given, will reword the same.

Customer requirements is the understanding the needs of the customer, here in my organization it needs that the artist understand the specs given by the customer for ad making

Yes it means reporting of findings

Sure will elaborate on the Value added auditing skills - here it basically means sharing of the best practices

M

madan1916

Madan,

Your list looks a bit like a 'reinvent the wheel' while dropping a lot of good stuff from 19011. My comment is that:

1. = Knowing the COMPANY QUALITY SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (rather than the ISO 9001:2008 standard) relevant to the audits they are doing

There were a whole bunch of competencies & attributes in 19011 that are directly relevant - but for some reason you've dropped them, or reworded them. I don't think this is wise.

Thanks a lot for providing valuable comments, by mistake it is typed as 9 it should have been 10011, but you comment is really valid

M

madan1916

It is actually ISO 10011-2: Guidelines for auditing quality systems-Part 2: Qualification Criteria for Quality system auditors.

Top Bottom