Internal Auditor Qualifications - TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2.5

Baalberith

Starting to get Involved
This might be a little bit of a stupid question guys, so please forgive me.

Under section 8 Measurement, analysis and improvement at 8.2.2.5, it states;
"The organization shall have internal auditors who are qualified to audit the requirements of this Technical Specification"
The company I work for are ISO9001 (ISO14001) certified, and are in the process of going for TS16949.
Audits have been carried out previously by internal auditors who are qualified as ISO9001 auditors.
Are these Internal Auditors allowed to audit against TS, to satisfy 8.2.2.5, or will they have to be qualified to TS16949 before they can undertake internal audits?
Remember - we are not yet TS approved. Therefore there was no previous requirement for the Auditors to be qualified to TS.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

antoine.dias

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Internal Auditor Qualifications

Hello,

One of the requirements in ISO TS is as you already stated :
"The organization shall have internal auditors who are qualified to audit the requirements of this Technical Specification"
So one of the criteria to get ISO TS certified is to have trained ISO TS auditors.

Best regards,
Antoine

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

The company I work for are ISO9001 (ISO14001) certified, and are in the process of going for TS16949.
Audits have been carried out previously by internal auditors who are qualified as ISO9001 auditors.
Are these Internal Auditors allowed to audit against TS, to satisfy 8.2.2.5, or will they have to be qualified to TS16949 before they can undertake internal audits?
Remember - we are not yet TS approved. Therefore there was no previous requirement for the Auditors to be qualified to TS.
From what you wrote, I understand you are facing the project to get ISO TS certification. In this roadmap , one of the milestone should be the qualification of the internal auditors versus the new standard, considering that you have to demonstrate that you are working under ISO TS at least since one year before applying for the certification with the CB.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

Baalbrith,

Ensure your internal auditors also are able to apply their skills and knowledge to audit for conformity to all applicable management system standards.

You should have them demonstrate their understanding of ISO/TS 16949 requirements perhaps with examples of evidence of conformity.

In doing this you may discover one or two of your auditors are not yet competent.

John

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions

Stupid question but is it trained, qualified or competent? I mean what evidence of the internal auditor being able to audit to the TS is acceptable? If you can demonstrate that the auditor knows, understands and is able to audit for conformity to the TS is that sufficient irrespective of the level of actual training or qualification the auditor has?

No lead auditor qualification but competency can be demonstrated some other way (not sure what other way but just testing the theory it is competency not necessarily paper qualifications that is importance).

As to the OP's post it sounds like you need to be in compliance for 1 year prior to certification. In that year you need to be auditing to TS using competent internal auditors. My interpretation is competent to audit to TS not just ISO 9001 which it is based on. Perhaps you could determine those auditors who are competent, record that evidence of competency and reserve them for TS internal auditing. All others are reserved for ISO 9001 audits subject to training up to TS competency. Apart from evidence of competency to both standards a simple matrix of the standards your internal auditors can audit to. It could, for example, include other standards to such as environmental and H&S standards. I think TS includes requirements to meet regulatory requirement (not trained in TS so forgive my lack of certainty). Would that not mean the auditor needs to be able to determine whether those regulations are being met sufficiently?

To me it seems auditing to TS is a bit of a step up from ISO 9001 internal auditing.

Baalberith

Starting to get Involved

Perhaps you could determine those auditors who are competent, record that evidence of competency and reserve them for TS internal auditing. All others are reserved for ISO 9001 audits subject to training up to TS competency. Apart from evidence of competency to both standards a simple matrix of the standards your internal auditors can audit to. It could, for example, include other standards to such as environmental and H&S standards.
I like this. A matrix listing all Auditors, showing who is "trained" to audit what. Sounds good. :)

Now a supplimentary question.

....... considering that you have to demonstrate that you are working under ISO TS at least since one year before applying for the certification with the CB.
Is there a minimum number of audits that have had to be undertaken, a minimum amount of TS sections covered by audit during this "working towards TS" year, or do all areas of the TS have to have been audited to satisfy the CB?

Now a supplimentary question.

Is there a minimum number of audits that have had to be undertaken, a minimum amount of TS sections covered by audit during this "working towards TS" year, or do all areas of the TS have to have been audited to satisfy the CB?
No. Up to the point of the stage 1 audit by a CB, when you want to ensure you have no processes or activities which haven't (yet) been internally audited, after that, you fall back on the basic ISO 9001 requirement of "status and importance", or an CSR details. Please don't fall into the trap of starting an audit program to "satisfy a CB". You have to a) satisfy your customer (their specific requirements) and b) provide some value internally to management and the rest of the organization. If you worry about the CB and what the auditors "think", you'll go mad - and never satisfy them, because their requirements are unstated...

Sebastian

Full cycle (for system audit it means all determined acc. to 4.1 processes) of internal audits and 12 months of internal audits and performance data as it was written in 3rd edition of "Rules", but I do not have current 4th edition, so maybe someone corrects me.

qusys

Full cycle (for system audit it means all determined acc. to 4.1 processes) of internal audits and 12 months of internal audits and performance data as it was written in 3rd edition of "Rules", but I do not have current 4th edition, so maybe someone corrects me.
Yes, correct. To respond to the OP , we can say that internal audit programm shall be in place for system. manufacturing and product audit. The only requirments for the auditor is that they are "qualified" ( in terms of knowledge of ISO TS requirements and customer requirements as well as the quality tools linked with ISO TS, e.g FMEA, control plan , SPC , MSA, Problem solving, PPAP, APQP etc...).
To share personal experiences, your organization may want to organize external course held by recognized body by IAFT, begin to audit vs ISO TS, make ISO TS quality culture vs all organization, help in fixing gaps vs ISO TS . An external consultant might speed up this process within at least one year before application and his /her experience coudl also raise the knowledge level of comptence and skill of your auditors'.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Casana 2nd Party and Internal Auditor Qualifications & Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
F Internal Audit quiz - Auditor Qualifications and Requirements Internal Auditing 34
J Where do you define Internal Auditor qualifications? Internal Auditing 9
K Internal Auditor Qualifications ? ISO13485 vs. ISO9001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
C Internal Auditor Qualifications? Small Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A AS9100 Internal Auditor Training and Qualifications Internal Auditing 8
A TS16949 Recertification Training - Internal Auditor Qualifications Internal Auditing 4
G AS9100 & ISO 9001 Internal Audits (-+) - Auditor Qualifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
S Internal Auditor Qualifications - What qualifications should I include? Internal Auditing 49
A Internal auditor qualifications for product audits - TS 16949 Internal Auditing 16
F Seeking: Examples/Samples - How to document internal auditor qualifications Internal Auditing 9
T GM Customer Specific Requirements - Internal Auditor Qualifications Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
R Internal Auditor Qualifications - TS16949:2002 Internal Auditing 48
T Internal Auditor training - Qualifications needed to train internal auditors? Internal Auditing 13
Q Registered Quality Internal Auditor Qualifications - What needed? Audits? Experience? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
V Internal Auditor Competency KPI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
B Internal Auditor Competency - Product Auditors Internal Auditing 9
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 42
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
D Impartiality of Internal Auditor ISO 9001/13485 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
Q Internal Auditor competence for ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
S IATF 16949: Is "Certified" Internal Auditor mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
J Your opinion on the better training org for IATF16949 Internal auditor and Lead Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Internal Auditor Training requirements for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
E Informational I would like to get some Internal Auditor Training Internal Auditing 31
Q What is the difference between normal and licensed internal auditor? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 9
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
A ISO 13485 - Internal Auditor Independence and Process Owners ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q AS 9100D internal auditor training requirements Internal Auditing 16
A Other Discussion Boards - Internal Auditor Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
E Online training for an internal auditor to AS9120B AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q Internal Auditor Trainer's Requirement Internal Auditing 4
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R Internal Auditor vs. Public Accountant - Accounting Student Needing Help Career and Occupation Discussions 4
C IATF 16949 Cl. - 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C IATF 16949:2016 Cl. 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 39
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 - Internal Auditor Competency and Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18
Q How can an Internal Auditor Trainer's Competency be Evaluated - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
H ISO/IATF Internal Auditor Recommendations For Manufacturer In California, USA Internal Auditing 3
P Problem with IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.3 Requirements (Internal Auditor Competency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Competency of Trainer for Internal Auditor Training (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C ISO 13485:2016 - Internal Auditor Training vs. Lead Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4