Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Internal Auditor Training requirements for ISO 14001:2015

I'm looking at internal auditing against ISO 14001:2015 but only have internal auditor training to ISO 14001:2004 version. Is it possible just to have an awareness training on the changes from ISO 14001:2004 to ISO 14001:2015 to be able to audit against the 2015 standard?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I'm looking at internal auditing against ISO 14001:2015 but only have internal auditor training to ISO 14001:2004 version. Is it possible just to have an awareness training on the changes from ISO 14001:2004 to ISO 14001:2015 to be able to audit against the 2015 standard?
Many people do this, yes. It has worked better for 14001 than 9001 because the changes have been more subtle than with 9001. Let us keep in mind that the standard requires competence, and does not cite a particular type of training for internal auditors.

Randy

Super Moderator
Jen is absolutely right and I'll extend it even more...Just review the 2015 rev real good and get familiar with Appendix A "Guidance" mainly because that's where the majority of usable and useful information is.

UncleFester

Involved In Discussions
Competence requirements are defined in 7.2 - especially 7.2b in that you are note that you're "competent on the basis of appropriate education, training or experience."
You're also required to "retain appropriate documented evidence of competence". You would need to satisfy an auditor that your awareness training to the 2015 version is documented and be able to satisfy 7.2b.

Randy

Super Moderator
Competence requirements are defined in 7.2 - especially 7.2b in that you are note that you're "competent on the basis of appropriate education, training or experience."
You're also required to "retain appropriate documented evidence of competence". You would need to satisfy an auditor that your awareness training to the 2015 version is documented and be able to satisfy 7.2b.
Well yeah, but 1st define the word "appropriate" (you'll find that in Appendix "A")
2nd pay attention to the phrase "...education, training or experience", the word "or" means any combination including experience "only"
3rd, evidence of competence could be very well performed audits
4th, you only need to document that which is done including awareness training (which isn't required)

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
If I could add anything of value here, it would be to carefully review the Annex of ISO 14001:2015, as this section explains many concepts and I have found a number of clients who have not reviewed this valuable resource. The implementation guide document ISO 14004:2016 is also insightful and may provide more value than an additional course, depending on the student.

Top Bottom