Internal Auditor Training Resources

J

Jimmy Olson

Auditor Training

Hello everyone. I am in the process of looking at training for internal auditing. I have found a number of different courses, but was interested in hearing from people who have attended any of the training to help choose a course. If anyone has attended any internal audit courses I would appreciate hearing your comments. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
I received training from a consultant group I hired that to me was very basic and not overly helpful. I haven't attended any seminars, but I suppose that if I did, I would use one of the more recognized providers (ASQ, RAB). I hope this helps some.

Anyone else out there have a recommendation??

Kevin

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi Richard and welcome to THE COVE.

Yeah Kevin I have some recommedations.....USE ME!!!!:bigwave:

I contract with a couple of providers and do this type of training myself so I am more familiar with them.

You will find everyone to be basically the same. Approaches and content will vary some, but basically everyone who provides training conforms to requirements stipulated in ISO 10011 soon to become ISO 19001.

I send ol' Richard a private Email so as not to step on too many of my buddies toes here by not recommending them.;)

If you're new to this game Richard you will find tons of useful information and the best people in the field to get it from right here in THE COVE. Drop by often and take Marc up on the subscription materials he has (you'll save a lot of work for yourself).

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
My original internal auditor training was done by a consultant group that was helping our company get registered. It was a two day course given in-house. I then went on my own to a 16 hour lead auditor class. The internal auditor class was to me the most beneifical (excellent teacher). I also did a lot of reading and self study. The person that give the training is no longer with the consulting firm and has his own. If you are interested, I will find his number, e-mail me.

Randy

Super Moderator
What you say may be true in the US, but not (totally) so in the UK.
The UK? Oh yes, now I remember. That's the little place across the lake where we secured civilization twice and kicked their behinds twice also:biglaugh: We Americans have high expectaions for that place, insignificant as it is;)

"Some of us feel very strongly that it's really bad practice to train internal auditors to have the same skills as registrars' auditors."

Jim,
Can you elaborate?
I have always felt that internal auditors should be as knowledgeble as registrars auditors. IMO it tends to level the playing field. But, I may be missing something.

Tom W

Living the Dream...
Auditor Training

Training the internal auditor is great, but if they are not utillized and can effective implement the training, then they will soon develop lapses in their knowledge and it will make for a poor audit. I agree with everyone else that the training is almost always the same type. It follows the same principles of auditing, what makes a good auditor and a good audit. I will attach a powerpoint file I use. But again, effectively implementing the training on a continuous basis will help your internal auditor become familure with auditing and make them more effective.

Attachments

RE: Auditor Training

Jim Wade said:
ISO 10011/19001 is bad, harmful, evil ... help, I need a stronger word!
I used to be a 'sanctioned' trainer of the AIAG "Internal Auditing for QS-9000". I even taught it at the AIAG. I felt at the time, and still do, that they spent too much time in 10011. For example, I have never known an organization to convene an evaluation panel to oversee internal auditor selection and continuation. I don’t think I totally agree with Jim’s assessment, but will say that as with anything, you must filter what you are presented with that you really need.

The biggest drawback to most (every?) internal auditor class is they seem to lack training on how to audit procedures and processes. The whole focus seems to be on compliance to the standard. Internal auditing will not be a good improvement tool if the only focus is on compliance. (I think this is part of what Jim was saying, as well).

M

M Greenaway

I'm sorry but I am totally lost by the argument that auditing compliance is a waste, and that auditing should be something 'more beneficial'.

If you are not auditing compliance to something, be it a national/international standard, business model, contract requirements, etc, etc, then all you are doing is spouting opinion. As undoubtedly that opinion is based on a very small snapshot in time it is of very little value.

Don’t get me wrong, Martin, I don’t think compliance is a waste. I think it should not be our “only” focus. Even 9K2K doesn’t address all the requirements of procedures or processes. It can’t – there is no way ISO can address all of the company level documentation. My concern, is most training focuses solely on the standard, and in many cases, doesn’t even mention how to address organizational documentation or how to audit a process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Your opinion on the better training org for IATF16949 Internal auditor and Lead Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Internal Auditor Training requirements for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
E Informational I would like to get some Internal Auditor Training Internal Auditing 31
Q AS 9100D internal auditor training requirements Internal Auditing 16
E Online training for an internal auditor to AS9120B AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Casana 2nd Party and Internal Auditor Qualifications & Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
B Competency of Trainer for Internal Auditor Training (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C ISO 13485:2016 - Internal Auditor Training vs. Lead Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
J Dinged on Internal Audits for supervising an auditor I was training Internal Auditing 10
V Internal Auditor Training Documents and PPT Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
V Internal Auditor Training Documents and PPT Internal Auditing 3
M ISO 13485 Audit Questions - Internal Auditor Training and other Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Questions about AS9100 Internal Auditor Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
P Internal Auditor Training - Audit exercises Internal Auditing 5
D Training Material for Internal Auditor Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
U TS16949 Internal Auditor Training - Is On-line training OK? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S TS 16949:2009 Specific Internal Auditor Training Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
T ISO 9001 Internal Auditing Auditor Training in Amsterdam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S Does anyone have any pointers on TS 16949 Internal Auditor Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S How to spice up the Internal Auditor Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Movie clips for Internal Auditor training Internal Auditing 9
R ISO 14001 Internal Auditor Training Requirements ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
M Basic Internal Auditor Training Powerpoint File Internal Auditing 26
T Developing an AS9100 Internal Auditor Training Program AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A Validity of Internal Auditor Certificate/Training Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
9 AS9110 Rev A Internal Auditor Training and Qualification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
pammesue Internal Auditor Training Providers in Tennessee Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
A Training Requirements for ISO 17025 Internal Auditor ISO 17025 related Discussions 19
J ISO 9001 Internal Auditor Training in English in Tokyo Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
O Suggestions for a good Internal Auditor Training Program Internal Auditing 2
J ISO 9001 Internal Auditor Training in New York area Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
C Internal Auditor Training Courses in Australia - Recommendations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A AS9100 Internal Auditor Training and Qualifications Internal Auditing 8
M Internal Auditor training - Boston area Internal Auditing 1
B Do we need an internal auditor training for ISO9001-2008? Internal Auditing 4
A TS16949 Recertification Training - Internal Auditor Qualifications Internal Auditing 4
B Specific requirement for Internal Auditor training in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
J Internal Auditor Training - How much training and what kind of training Internal Auditing 18
T Minimum training and experience required for an Internal Auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K ISO Lead Auditor or Internal Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
D In-house Internal Auditor (ISO9001 & ISO13485) Training & Course Contents Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
S Internal Auditor Training - How often should an internal auditor be trained? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
L TS 16949 Internal Auditor Training Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
D Recommendations for ISO 9001 Internal Auditor Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
A ISO 9001: 2000 Internal Auditor Training - Michigan Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
N Internal Auditing without Internal Auditor Training Internal Auditing 29
I Audit Scenarios for Internal Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3