Internal Audits - Can we to perform audit just using process maps?

A

AURELIO

If ISO 9001:2000 require at least 6 documented procedures for QMS. Can we to perform audit just using process maps ( flow chart) as work instruction or QAP?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

I wouldnt know why you could not do it that way

BUT what rumors I have heard explain that even auditing methods will be changing....

What external auditors do now is "compare actions to standards requirements." Internal auditors compare actions to written procedures... and verify they are yes/no being satisfied.

The "new look approach" to auditing (big guess here ) is that effectivness of what the standards require or effectivness of what the proceedures are asking for will be the major consideration. NOT necessarily - are the same words used in the standards - used in the procedures - but is the intent of an effective outcome as esxplained in the standards being accomplished.

M

M Greenaway

Compliance vs Effectiveness

Its true that the traditional 'compliance' only auditing is considered to be a thing of the past. The requirement to audit effectiveness is now emphasised in ISO9001:2000, although it did exist in the 1994 version. Compliance auditing will still be an important element of the audit process, but blindly quoting non-compliance or compliance where the actual activity is effective or ineffective will hopefully die.

Auditing should now look at the process, consider the inputs, outputs, mechanisms and controls. A written procedure or a flow diagram might be one method of control - what the auditor must satisfy himself with is 'are the controls adequate so that the process performs effectively', clearly looking at the output of the process will be a major part of this assessment.

M

M Greenaway

P.S.

As a P.S. to the last post...

ISO9001:2000 now also explicitly states that audits are undertaken against the requirements of the standard. This was always considered 'best practice', and is the method taught by accredited audit training bodies.

So primarily your audit needs to address compliance with ISO9001:2000, therefore without a procedure or flow diagram there is still plenty to audit against.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Please remember that as flow charting is simple and may be easier to comprehend,however you will more than likely need to also supplement with words. Anything you write(flow chart) for you QMS must be understandable by your people who use it. Do not write(flow chart) for the registrar/auditors. Make a value added QMS for your users of the QMS .

A

AURELIO

Thank You Sirs

I agree both as about a new audit approach as the audit having focus on the effectiveness of output, since I am with advisor hat that look at not only standard compliance but add value to client process output too.
BUT, If someone is on auditor hat, mainly registrar auditors, could miss some information in a diagram flow, as WHO, WHEN, WHERE, WHAT, WHY, HOW, not necessarily all.
And I knowing very well what is a point of view of registrar auditor, for example, some registrars auditors say that is a paradox the standard require at least six written procedures or another auditor wants quality objectives measurable for ALL FUNCTIONS within organization, I would like to remake my question as:
Does anyone have experience with registrars auditors using only diagram flow to perform process assessment and these was accept as a work instruction?

Best Regards

AURELIO

M

M Greenaway

diagram flow

We have used flow diagrams for years, and have been successfully audited against them.

Your auditor should be able to accept the format of your documentation whatever it is.

L

Laura - 2003

my 2 pen'orth

I've used flow charts to document procedures and had no problems with staff or auditors, in fact I find them easier to audit.

One more thing!:biglaugh:

I was given to understand by a BSI assessor that it would be prudent for an organisation to audit the QMS by selecting one of the quality management principles and using it as a theme for the annual audit plan.

Any thoughts?

G

Greg Mack

My two bob's worth

Hi Laura,

I like the sound of that approach but I guess it would all depend though on how your system was documented. It could get ugly real quick.

I believe that there would be many processes that a business documents that would encompass all eight principles in one. I would assume then you would split it and then it could get really messy to establish and maintain any sort of audit schedule.

If your system is documented by a process, then audit it all but ensure that your auditors are aware of the eight principles. That way each process gets a thorough auditing without splitting it up into eight groups.

I feel that a sensible and simple audit schedule by process/procedure, based and assessed for frequency on a risk assessment would be more beneficial and easy to maintain.

My two bob! :D

L

Laura - 2003

I'm gonna pocket your two bib

Greg,

I agree with you. I felt at the time that to theme the audit plan would be ineffective as you may well be auditing against one principle and not finding that you are effective or otherwise against another principle until a subsequent annual audit plan.

Given the structure I propose for our QMS, I wish to audit the support processes that underpin the core business process, and review the core business process at frequent Management Reviews. At least this will enable me to ensure senior management committment at a process level!

Can anybody see a flaw in this?

Lau.
:cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H Can our QMS Consultant Perform Internal Audits on our behalf (Conflict of Interest)? Internal Auditing 69
A ISO 14001 Clause 4.5.4 - Internal Audit - Must a company perform internal audits? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Claes Gefvenberg How many audits a year do your internal auditors perform? Internal Auditing 49
A Is training necessary to perform internal audits within our company Internal Auditing 1
R Outsourcing Internal Audits - Hiring a contractor to plan and perform internal audits Internal Auditing 21
B Our QS9000 audit team has been using checklists to perform internal audits Internal Auditing 37
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
qualprod Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
Gman2 Quality Record Retention (Internal Audits, CA's) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Informational What is the purpose of Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 27
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
Pmarszal ISO 19011:2018 - Risk Based Approach for planning, conducting and reporting of internal audits Internal Auditing 8
R ISO 13485:2016 Registration - NC on full cycle of internal audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Corrective Action from Internal Audits not performed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
W FAA Advisory Circular (AC) Requirements (FAA AC 00-56) - Internal Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B Going into IATF 16949 transition without Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Internal Audits performed by another local business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K No Internal Audits For Upcoming IATF Trans Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Supporting Processes - Internal Audits - Need help settling a debate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K AS9100 Rev. D Transition - Internal Audits & Gap Analysis Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
J Internal Audits - Closing Audit Deficiency Reports (ISO 13485) Internal Auditing 4
S Is Audit Plan / Agenda required for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 2
J ISO 9001:2008 - Can I still conduct Internal Audits in my company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F What is your favorite software for ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO 9001:2008 Surveillance Audit - No Internal Audits Internal Auditing 9
J Dinged on Internal Audits for supervising an auditor I was training Internal Auditing 10
Marc ISO 9001:2015 vs. 2008 - Internal Audits - What changes are you making? Internal Auditing 44
M Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
dubrizo Internal Audit Value - What is the point of conducting internal audits to a checklist Internal Auditing 40
D Using consultants for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 24
O New Job 1 Month from Recertification Audit - Missing Documents, no Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
R How do I conduct my API Q1, ISO compliant internal audits? Internal Auditing 1
F Is it good to outsource the Internal Audits? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
S Advice for ISO17025 First Round of Internal Audits ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
S Engineering Audits - Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Time Allocation for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 5
A A Guide to Effective Internal Management System Audits Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2