Internal Audits performed by another local business

My company is having some issues with not auditing our own work. The easiest way to fix this situation is to bring in outside assistance. The owner suggested that we could call another local company and offer to swap auditing services.

The problem is our registrar auditor said that doing something like that would not fly. Reading the standard my assumption is as long as they can show some sort of training (I would prefer 3rd party training) then we should be good to swap with whomever we choose. Help?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
"Show me the shall I would be violating" is what I would ask the registrar auditor.

I would personally try to do as much as I could "in house" but in areas where there may be an issue with auditing one's own work, I don't see where your plan would violate the standard. Maybe I will be "edumacated" differently.

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
You can do it.
Preferably, it is to have internal auditors.
Because In some way, more internal people know In deep the processes, and could find more important issues when auditing.
Other point , have the 'iso perfume " inside, more frequent audits, more people feel the audits,etc.
You may give bonus to auditors, so that , results may be better, than external auditors.
Hope this helps

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The problem is our registrar auditor said that doing something like that would not fly. Reading the standard my assumption is as long as they can show some sort of training (I would prefer 3rd party training) then we should be good to swap with whomever we choose. Help?
It is pretty well established that organizations can outsource the internal auditing function. The main question is about the competence of the outsourced internal auditors. Training alone has never made anyone competent to perform in the capacity of internal auditors.

So, in principle, the proposed arrangement could be exercised, but, if the goal is just to have an audit done to pass the external audit, you are missing a great opportunity to improve the system.

Unfortunately, too many organizations never realize and extract the benefit of high performance internal audits. For them, internal audits are a total valueless event.

Thank you every one for the help.

We have had some roles change and I have more involvement in each operation than I did a few years ago. It has made it more difficult to be as objective as I need to be to perform good audits.

Adding an outside source for some of the audits would keep us from overloading the other auditors we have in house.

I didn't want to have another disagreement with the auditor yesterday at the closing meeting. I had enough of those through the audit. :nope:

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Here in the Dallas area, we have an ASQ Audit Special Interest Group that offers free auditing that enables companies like yours to have a qualified (competent) auditor conduct the audit and also helps the auditors get audit time credit for recertification. You might check your local ASQ chapter to see if they have anything similar.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
offers free auditing that enables companies like yours to have a qualified (competent) auditor conduct the audit and also helps the auditors get audit time credit for recertification.
I don't want to be excessively picky, but the aspect of auditor competence goes beyond that. Do the "volunteers" have an understanding of the audited organization's context, it's regulatory exposure and stakeholders? An auditor who is very familiar with machining of commercial parts might be totally ignorant about the challenges of a medical device manufacturer or an engineering firm; so could s/he be deemed competent as an auditor for that organization?

Further, if the organization will outsource the internal audits, it would be highly advisable they check the individual's references and establish a Non-Disclosure Agreement, as some of the most sensitive information might be part of the discovery, typical of a well executed management system audit.

Last edited:

itsbiodiversity

Involved In Discussions
Sidney, you do seem to be excessively picky in this situation, but I do agree with you at the same time. I'll just bring some simplicity to the table here.

If you can prove than an effective audit is taking place, then you have satisfied the standard. Only a trained and competent individual can perform an effective audit. The training level and competency is easy to judge by looking at the quality of the audit.

Now if you are not performing quality internal audits, regardless who is conducting the audit, a corrective action should be issued and outside reinforcements should be brought in with the correct knowledge.

It is perfectly acceptable to have ASQ trainees with a background in your standard and industry to conduct the audits. Again - was an effective audit conducted? That's all that matters.

I have been a one man lab and conducted my own for ISO/IEC 17025.

I have conducted ISO 9001 audits although my specialty is 17025.

I have paid advisors with ISO 9001 specialty to audit our 17025 lab.

I have paid advisors with 17025 specialty to audit our 17025 lab.

I have had trained employees from another area of the facility conduct an internal audit.

All audits were effective. I use the registrar's audit checklist as a guideline, and as long as all objective evidence for meeting the requirements is there then that would be an effective audit. Of course you can always push further...I'm just trying to give some of my experience.

Also - someone from another facility can audit just one portion of the system - like the management system - without requiring knowledge of the production process itself. And be sure to have NDA for anyone you work with, just as Sidney Vianna mentioned above.

I tend to agree with Sidney. I recently saw the results of some outsourced internal audits and I was appalled at the immature way they had been conducted. Worse, of course, was the fact that the CB auditor had accepted that. They are also a consultant and it makes me wonder what they have been telling/training their clients to do... Not competent at all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Corrective Action from Internal Audits not performed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
M Program of Internal Audits aren?t performed fully - Is it nonconformance? General Auditing Discussions 20
E First external audit coming up, do I need to have performed Internal Audits already? Internal Auditing 15
A Internal Audits - What if performed by consultant Internal Auditing 9
S Internal Audits not performed - Useful data from internal audit schedule Internal Auditing 31
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
qualprod Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
Gman2 Quality Record Retention (Internal Audits, CA's) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Informational What is the purpose of Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 27
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
Pmarszal ISO 19011:2018 - Risk Based Approach for planning, conducting and reporting of internal audits Internal Auditing 8
R ISO 13485:2016 Registration - NC on full cycle of internal audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
W FAA Advisory Circular (AC) Requirements (FAA AC 00-56) - Internal Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B Going into IATF 16949 transition without Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K No Internal Audits For Upcoming IATF Trans Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Supporting Processes - Internal Audits - Need help settling a debate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K AS9100 Rev. D Transition - Internal Audits & Gap Analysis Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
J Internal Audits - Closing Audit Deficiency Reports (ISO 13485) Internal Auditing 4
S Is Audit Plan / Agenda required for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 2
J ISO 9001:2008 - Can I still conduct Internal Audits in my company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F What is your favorite software for ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO 9001:2008 Surveillance Audit - No Internal Audits Internal Auditing 9
J Dinged on Internal Audits for supervising an auditor I was training Internal Auditing 10
Marc ISO 9001:2015 vs. 2008 - Internal Audits - What changes are you making? Internal Auditing 44
M Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
dubrizo Internal Audit Value - What is the point of conducting internal audits to a checklist Internal Auditing 40
D Using consultants for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 24
O New Job 1 Month from Recertification Audit - Missing Documents, no Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
R How do I conduct my API Q1, ISO compliant internal audits? Internal Auditing 1
F Is it good to outsource the Internal Audits? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
S Advice for ISO17025 First Round of Internal Audits ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
S Engineering Audits - Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Time Allocation for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 5
A A Guide to Effective Internal Management System Audits Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M Utilizing ISO and Customer Audits for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 14
N Internal Process Audits - 7.1 Planning - How do YOU audit it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Scope of External & Internal Audits General Auditing Discussions 10