Internal Audits - Presenting Audit Findings to Upper Management

E

Eloy Gomez

We have completed all of our yearly internal departmental and process audits. Total findings is 74 -- mostly for lack of training, not following procedures and operator error. Also for procedures not outdated and not meeting the current process.

Some of these audits were valued added where we discovered new ways to improve on the process and outputs. Others not too sure.

I would like to create a nice presentation package that includes all the areas/process audited and the number of findings to present to upper management and would like some suggestions on what to include or on what to emphasize. Not sure if I should measure the audits and give a benchmark, or if I just should name the problem areas.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
Re: Internal Audits -- Presenting to Upper Management

We have completed all of our yearly internal departmental and process audits. Total findings is 74 -- mostly for lack of training, not following procedures and operator error. Also for procedures not outdated and not meeting the current process.

Some of these audits were valued added where we discovered new ways to improve on the process and outputs. Others not too sure.

I would like to create a nice presentation package that includes all the areas/process audited and the number of findings to present to upper management and would like some suggestions on what to include or on what to emphasize. Not sure if I should measure the audits and give a benchmark, or if I just should name the problem areas.
It has been my experience that upper managment does not want a lot of detail on these matters. Mostly they expect the various managers and department heads to deal with whatever comes up.
Frankly I think your first paragraph is a pretty good place to start from. In presentation form it might go something like:

Conducted (X number) of internal audits with a total of 74 findings. In the main these findings fell into three areas.
1) Lack of proper training
2) Not following prescribed procedures
3) Documents not being updated and or not reflecting actual processes.

Then you could go briefly how each area should be or has been addressed (emphasize the ones where processes improved) and who is responsible for addressing them.
Finally ask for questions, suggestions etc from management.

If you think that management might be interested in more detail on a some area or other, you might have a more detailed report ready to go. Then a quick trip to the copier, or slides on an overhead or PPT gives everyone just what they need.

Hope this helps.

Peace
James

Re: Internal Audits -- Presenting to Upper Management

These findings tend to indicate (to me) you've left it too long to report this stuff. Doing a yearly audit just isn't sufficient. As a result, you've got waay to much to report, management will never absorb this many findings and, to cap it all, I see nothing about how effective the processes are. Findings like 'not following' or 'outdated' are not helpful unless they're linked to 'does it give good results'.....Without that vital part of the auditors' story, you won't get much response, no matter how nice your powerpoint is....

IMHO - you need to do some work on your audit program......

Randy

Super Moderator
Provides me evidence of ineffective audit planning, poor audit program and not maintaining the system. There could also be lack of adequate resources, lack of competencies, poor communication, ill defined roles & responsibilities, poor document control and so on....

Bottom line y'all just seem to be going thru the motions but not really going anywhere....How long have you had a functioning system?

T

trainerbob

I agree with Andy and Randy. It is obvious you are not reporting problems in a timely manner if you have 74 of them for your report. Your whole audit program/system/process is suspect in my book. And if you are going to do a report like the one suggested I would think you would surely want to include this along with the rest of your report. If your management is truly serious about its QMS it will give you the resources and directive to do your internal audits and subsequent reports in a timely manner so that the needed changes can be made to your QMS to help out your organization.

E

Eloy Gomez

Provides me evidence of ineffective audit planning, poor audit program and not maintaining the system. There could also be lack of adequate resources, lack of competencies, poor communication, ill defined roles & responsibilities, poor document control and so on....

Bottom line y'all just seem to be going thru the motions but not really going anywhere....How long have you had a functioning system?

That is the problem, we do not have a functioning system, I have only been with the company 5 months and took over the responsibility of internal audits and process improvements + C/A's and P/A's and a lot more stuff. The culture is quantity based not quality based and plenty of incompetence, not too many educated people, and lack of resources.

Is not poor audit program, too much to audit in such little time, now that I have the numbers and the details I would like to present to upper management so that they see how screw up they really are. :D

E

Eloy Gomez

I agree with Andy and Randy. It is obvious you are not reporting problems in a timely manner if you have 74 of them for your report. Your whole audit program/system/process is suspect in my book. And if you are going to do a report like the one suggested I would think you would surely want to include this along with the rest of your report. If your management is truly serious about its QMS it will give you the resources and directive to do your internal audits and subsequent reports in a timely manner so that the needed changes can be made to your QMS to help out your organization.

Let me emphasize that as the audits were conducted the findings were reported and acted on a timely manner, now is the end of the 4th quater and I have to present the internal audit program as part of the 4th quater MR meeting.

Randy

Super Moderator
Your audit program has to serve a specific purpose over a defined time period...that's the ISO definition, I didn't make it up.

An audit program is made up of one or more audits...that's part of the definition also

Apparently one audit isn't hacking it...why? Because...The organization shall conduct internal audits at planned intervals to determine whether the quality management system

a) conforms to the planned arrangements (see 7.1), to the requirements of this International Standard and to the quality management system requirements established by the organization, and

b) is effectively implemented and maintained.

There is something broke with the process and what we may have is a critical lack of understanding of what's and why's when it comes to the internal audit.

It's also very honest of you to say your system is not functioning, I hesitated because I didn't want to be accused of being mean to you. You really have a difficult task ahead of you. Good luck Eloy

E

Eloy Gomez

Honestly the Findings could have been much higher, I only concentrated on the major issues and disregarded the nick picking. Still 74 C/A's in 5 months as a result of the internal audits took management by storm with the Quality department being one of the worst agressors in non-compliances. These people need help and I am not about to give up on them, not yet. Eventually I will leave, for this company is just too screwed up for me. But I will like to know that at least I guide them in the right direction before I do.

The auditor I replaced only did desktop audits and all departments always passed with flying colors, so I come in and I call it like it is and it took them by storm.

Our ISO/AS9100 yearly audit is in January 2010, this is why the urgency on completing all internal audits. Now I just have to present the results for the 2009 year to upper management review.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Honestly the Findings could have been much higher, I only concentrated on the major issues and disregarded the nick picking. Still 74 C/A's in 5 months as a result of the internal audits took management by storm with the Quality department being one of the worst agressors in non-compliances. These people need help and I am not about to give up on them, not yet. Eventually I will leave, for this company is just too screwed up for me. But I will like to know that at least I guide them in the right direction before I do.

The auditor I replaced only did desktop audits and all departments always passed with flying colors, so I come in and I call it like it is and it took them by storm.

Our ISO/AS9100 yearly audit is in January 2010, this is why the urgency on completing all internal audits. Now I just have to present the results for the 2009 year to upper management review.

Agree with what the other expert Covers told on this.
Question:did you also audit Management and mgmt review process?
It could be important to undestand how they sponsored and sustained internal audit program and whether they allocated enough resources
Besides, results of audit are one of the input of mgmt review process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 10
M Major vs. Minor for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 10
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
qualprod Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 149
Gman2 Quality Record Retention (Internal Audits, CA's) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Informational What is the purpose of Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 27
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
Pmarszal ISO 19011:2018 - Risk Based Approach for planning, conducting and reporting of internal audits Internal Auditing 8
R ISO 13485:2016 Registration - NC on full cycle of internal audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S Corrective Action from Internal Audits not performed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
W FAA Advisory Circular (AC) Requirements (FAA AC 00-56) - Internal Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B Going into IATF 16949 transition without Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Internal Audits performed by another local business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K No Internal Audits For Upcoming IATF Trans Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Supporting Processes - Internal Audits - Need help settling a debate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K AS9100 Rev. D Transition - Internal Audits & Gap Analysis Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
J Internal Audits - Closing Audit Deficiency Reports (ISO 13485) Internal Auditing 4
S Is Audit Plan / Agenda required for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 2
J ISO 9001:2008 - Can I still conduct Internal Audits in my company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F What is your favorite software for ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO 9001:2008 Surveillance Audit - No Internal Audits Internal Auditing 9
J Dinged on Internal Audits for supervising an auditor I was training Internal Auditing 10
Marc ISO 9001:2015 vs. 2008 - Internal Audits - What changes are you making? Internal Auditing 44
M Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
dubrizo Internal Audit Value - What is the point of conducting internal audits to a checklist Internal Auditing 40
D Using consultants for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 24
O New Job 1 Month from Recertification Audit - Missing Documents, no Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
R How do I conduct my API Q1, ISO compliant internal audits? Internal Auditing 1
F Is it good to outsource the Internal Audits? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
S Advice for ISO17025 First Round of Internal Audits ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
S Engineering Audits - Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Time Allocation for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 5
A A Guide to Effective Internal Management System Audits Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M Utilizing ISO and Customer Audits for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 14
N Internal Process Audits - 7.1 Planning - How do YOU audit it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Scope of External & Internal Audits General Auditing Discussions 10
S Internal Audits of QMS Corporate Basics at the Local Plant Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2