Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work)

Randy

Super Moderator
Good day @Sidney Vianna ;
Regardless of context, I'm not sure how a definition can be "mandatory". It is a definition. No dispute there...a definition is, by definition, a definition. Just like a requirement is, by definition, a requirement. Both are accurate for what they are, but they are different.

Be well.
Definitions are applicable to the standards, therefore if they can be applied they need to be applied.

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure how a definition can be "mandatory". It is a definition. No dispute there...a definition is, by definition, a definition.
Let me offer an example. To this date, around the world, there are many people that believe that when nonconforming product is produced, what one does to fix (repair/rework) the nonconforming product is called corrective action; and, if you want to prevent that type of defect from happening again, that is called preventive action.

Those of us, who are familiar and follow ISO 9000 terminology and definitions know that, we should be referring to correction and corrective action, instead.

Another example that I have experienced and I am sure others have as well: When planning to interview "top management" of an organization, I was brought to speak with a quality manager. The ISO 9000 definition of "top management" clearly establishes that the typical quality manager does not fulfill the expectations of who "top management" is.

The definitions are only definitions if they are enforced, and that's the reason for the document to be called a normative reference.

Top Bottom