Internal Audits - Who Can Audit Whom?

Gman2

Involved - Posts
2 Questions Inside -------->

First off I just want to say thanks to everyone who contributes on here, you are helping out everyone (including ME!) in a huge way.

Ok so here are the questions:

1-Do you, as a QM (if you ARE a QM) actually AUDIT during internal audits?
Are you allowed ot Audit as a QM? My previous 2 QM's never did but now I am the QM and I have always been a pretty strong auditor and was thinking I could really get the ball rolling with the internal auditors if I kind of led by example.
Okay so anyone do this and CAN you do this?

2-Can a production worker audit othre areas of production (example, a machine operator auditing another machine's process?)
Or should I just stick him to Shipping, Management, and areas like that.

Thanks a lot

G

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

SteelWoman

ditto. I USED to audit, have since passed the job to my assistant, but when I did it just had to be careful what I audited. Actually, I ended up passing it on BECAUSE my job responsibilities grew to the point where I really had too much day to day contact with many areas/elements to be completely objective, so I removed myself.

We frequently use operator auditors and allow them to audit any area except their own (or one from which they have recently transferred - don't need any axe grinders!)

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I agree with everyone so far. When I was a quality manager I didn't audit much because I had my hands in so many places, but when I could I audited. Some of my best auditors have been operators. Like has been said above, just make sure they stay out of their own areas of responsibility (or bias).

Probably the most important thing to remember is that "Selection of auditors and conduct of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiality..."

If your 2nd shift quality inspectors can audit 1st shift inspections without bias, then that should be okay. But if your shipping clerk and one of your production supervisors were recently divorced, then you probably don't want either one auditing the other. Remember that what happens off the clock can affect objectivity and impartiality.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
db said:
Probably the most important thing to remember is that "Selection of auditors and conduct of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiality..."

If your 2nd shift quality inspectors can audit 1st shift inspections without bias, then that should be okay. But if your shipping clerk and one of your production supervisors were recently divorced, then you probably don't want either one auditing the other. Remember that what happens off the clock can affect objectivity and impartiality.
I totally agree! We have around 250 people at my facility, but divided into four crews (excluding the salary). This means we're a relatively close-knit group. So I never put my Production Auditors in QC or Maintenance as they work with those groups on a daily basis.

Many people forget that bias can include personal bias, as well.

G

Groo3

Claes Gefvenberg said:
Hullo G,

1- In one word: Yes. (Just don't audit your own tasks)
2- See above.... As long as he stays clear of his own tasks: No problem.

Happy auditing...:bigwave:

/Claes
What Claes said... Yes... If you have a larger Audit pool, you can avoid any potential conflicts by just assigning that auditor to audit another area. Problems may arrise when dealing with smaller organizations or when you have a small auritor pool.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K No Internal Audits For Upcoming IATF Trans Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Internal Audits - Closing Audit Deficiency Reports (ISO 13485) Internal Auditing 4
S Is Audit Plan / Agenda required for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 2
C ISO 9001:2008 Surveillance Audit - No Internal Audits Internal Auditing 9
dubrizo Internal Audit Value - What is the point of conducting internal audits to a checklist Internal Auditing 40
O New Job 1 Month from Recertification Audit - Missing Documents, no Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
N Internal Process Audits - 7.1 Planning - How do YOU audit it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F Changing the Frequency of Internal Audits - ISO/TS 16949 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 5
Q Reducing the Frequency of Audits - Internal Audit Programme 2012 Internal Auditing 13
K Internal Audits - Necessary before Stage 1 Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
G Internal Audit Planning - We are not getting the best out of our Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K ISO 13485 Audit Finding on Regulatory Issues - Internal Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Internal Audits required before Registration Audit - Distributors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
ScottK Using Customer Audits as part of the Internal Audit Plan for ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Internal Audits - Audit Departments or Processes Internal Auditing 13
M Two situations where it is appropriate to add further Hazard Audits to Internal Audit Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
E Internal Audits - Presenting Audit Findings to Upper Management General Auditing Discussions 19
P No Time to Audit? Becoming "leaner" - How do you make time for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 36
E First external audit coming up, do I need to have performed Internal Audits already? Internal Auditing 15
P How do you Audit Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 32
C New to performing internal audits - Looking for audit questions Internal Auditing 5
A Audit Database that captures internal, external audits - Prime Part 21 manufacturer Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
Casana How to document Internal Audits done via the "Process Audit" methodology Internal Auditing 9
S Internal Audits not performed - Useful data from internal audit schedule Internal Auditing 31
B Internal audits 3 year plan? Internal audit frequency Internal Auditing 23
Y Internal Audits of All Facilities World Wide Before the Certification Audit Internal Auditing 9
D Internal Audits and Nonconformances - Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit (paragraph 4) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
W Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Examples - Quality Audits Internal Auditing 14
Crusader Your Internal Audit Team: Internal or Hired External? Outsourcing Internal Audits Internal Auditing 97
L Internal Audit Schedule - Frequency of internal audits Internal Auditing 9
C Changing Internal Audit Program - Regional Manager Online Audits Internal Auditing 2
C Who audits the internal audit system? Internal Auditing 32
I Seeking: Internal Audit Training Material - Practice Audits? Internal Auditing 14
Gman2 ISO 9001:2000 Internal Audit: Someone PLEASE find me the "Shall" on "Process Audits" Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 37
Gman2 ISO 9001 Internal Audit Checklists and Process Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 31
A ISO 14001 Clause 4.5.4 - Internal Audit - Must a company perform internal audits? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
A Management Review and Internal Audits Before Registration Audit Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
Raffy The Role of the Process Audit in ISO 9000 Internal Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 22
Raffy Internal Audit vs. Customer Audits - Can we count Customer Audits as IAs? Internal Auditing 25
J Self Audits - Internal Audits - Area supervisors to audit their own area Internal Auditing 22
C Internal Audit Schedule - Documentation requirements for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 10
A Internal Audits - Can we to perform audit just using process maps? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
B Our QS9000 audit team has been using checklists to perform internal audits Internal Auditing 37
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33