Internal Customer Satisfaction - Objective Evaluation

A

Andrews

Internal customer satisfaction

How can you determine internal customer satisfaction objectively? A sample format will help a great deal.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
That's a good question. I know of no form. Maybe someone does have one in connection with a complaint box or something.

How about it folks, any thoughts on measuring Internal Customer satisfaction?

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
One of the basic ways are the normal motivation type , absenteism, accidents etc.
Here one can use a questionaire far more effectively than with customer satisfaction.
Relationships between supervisors and staff,
Satisfaction with facilities, cleanliness , food, etc.
Each plant should have an idea of the sort of problems that exist and how to improve them.
Hope this helps.

A

Al Dyer

I think we might be mixing apples and oranges.

"Internal Customer Satisfaction" is a requirements of both QS-9000 (4.1.6) and TS-16949 (4.1.1.3) while the tone of this thread seems to refer to employee satisfaction which is required only by TS-16949 section 4.1.6.

Basically, TS-16949 differentiates between the two requirements.

Am I off line here?

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Here is my take go along with Howard’s comments:

Who are the internal customers? How have they been identified? What is critical to their satisfaction (critical factors)? How do you monitor these critical factors (by what means)? How do you do at improving their satisfaction of these critical factors?

Many ways, I suppose, including a survey. However, how objective is a survey therefore how good is the data you collect from it? I would think that other means to monitor this might be more objective (absenteeism rates offered by Howard is an excellent example). However, a combination of objective and subjective means might prove to be the best balanced approach.

Regards,

Kevin

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I agree that there is a slight difference between the
I think we might be mixing apples and oranges.

"Internal Customer Satisfaction" is a requirements of both QS-9000 (4.1.6) and TS-16949 (4.1.1.3) while the tone of this thread seems to refer to employee satisfaction which is required only by TS-16949 section 4.1.6.

Basically, TS-16949 differentiates between the two requirements.

Am I off line here?
But acording to TS-16949 :2002
6.2.2.5 Employee motivation and empowerment
The organization shall have a process for motivation of employees to achieve quality objectives, to make continual improvements, and create an environment to promote innovation. The process shall include promotion of quality and technological awareness through the whole organization.
The organization shall have a process for measurement to ensure that its personnel are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives (see 6.2.2 d).
This appears to be measuring the commitment to quality not for satisfaction. :truce:
As I understand it internal customer satisfaction is measuring the same criteria as you would measure for external customers. All employees are internal customers so that their expectations from their internal suppliers and the organisation that employes them should be measured.

U

Unregistered

Internal Customer Satisfaction

Ok - lets redress....

Internal Customer Satisfaction as a requirement of QS is to do with Product flow and is measured simply by monitoring each stage of a process. There are various methods which we utilise here on site (Reject, Reworks, internal non-Conformances etc).

Is about recognising each stage of a process as the next ones supplier - the Micro system of a business.......

Process control and Partol inspections are the day to day monitor events but all information is gathered and analysed for Management review.

Thanks

J C W

M

Martijn TVM

Just some input

I think I agree with whoever wrote surveys might not be as objective, I think that measuring other things are much more usefull like carreer possibilities, abcense, but also efficiency trends, an unhappy employee will work less fast, so if you have an employee with normal 98%efficiency performance dropping down to 80% on the same process, you know that something is wrong, doesn't necessary mean that he/she is having difficulties at work but it could be an indication.

but still if you want to know your satisfaction internally, you will just have to spent time with the people, it might not get you your desired measurement but for improving your numbers it is a great tool.

M

Monte

RE:Nonconformances and Satisfaction

Originally posted by Kevin Mader
JCW,

Are measures of nonconformance really measures of satisfaction?

Regards,

Kevin
So Kevin, it's OK with you (external customer) to receive product that has quality issues? Quality and Service are both valid measures of External Customer Satisfaction. The more nonconformance issues exist between internal customers the lower the internal customer satisfaction and the lower the "receiving " departments' motivation when struggling to meet production demands with inferior quality components!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Need to prepare Internal Customer Satisfaction Survey form for QA department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M 8.2.1 ?NOTE- Is Monitoring of Internal Customer Satisfaction a requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction - Is Internal Customer Satisfaction Employee Satisfaction IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T How to Measure Internal Customer Satisfaction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Including Internal Metrics in the Calculation of Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI). IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Customer Satisfaction and Internal Audits Internal Auditing 3
F Internal Customer Satisfaction QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
T "Customer Specific" Internal Audit suggestions needed Internal Auditing 12
T Customer requires Internal Specification to be met on PPAP APQP and PPAP 7
M Utilizing ISO and Customer Audits for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 14
J C of C - Customer wants their internal procedures and standards indicated with rev AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 23
V Can we take a Green Belt project to improve the Internal Customer Feedback Six Sigma 6
J Customer PPAP Approvals - Internal PPAP Possible? APQP and PPAP 7
U Customer Audit Nonconformity on Internal Audit Program done by Corporate QA General Auditing Discussions 19
S Internal Audit - No Proof of Acceptance of Customer New Payment Terms Internal Auditing 10
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Internal and External Customer Survey Procedure and Form examples wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
ScottK Using Customer Audits as part of the Internal Audit Plan for ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A Internal Audit-Customer Related Processes Internal Auditing 2
O Internal Audit of Customer Specific Requirements Checklist - Where to start? Internal Auditing 9
L Internal Audit to Focus on Customer Complaint Re-occurrences Internal Auditing 4
I In ISO 9001:2008 - Can we show an Internal Department as our Client/Customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
P Can External Audits by Customer be treated As Internal Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
I How to measure internal auditees' performance during customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Definition Internal Customer - Definition - TS 16949 Clause 8.2.1 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
M What to "bubble" on customer print vs. internal print APQP and PPAP 4
S PPAP on Prototype tooling? Producing components for internal customer (assembly) APQP and PPAP 5
D Internal form we use to handle Customer Complaints - To control or not to control Customer Complaints 6
SteelMaiden Customer's Internal Audit - SQA - Supplier ISO 9001 Certificate Expired Internal Auditing 11
A Internal Labs - Customer asked why our reliability laboratory isn't 17025 certified ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
M Identifying Internal Customer Requirements - This is my list so far ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T GM Customer Specific Requirements - Internal Auditor Qualifications Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
A Internal audits on CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - Look at Ford's Behemoth Internal Auditing 1
Raffy Internal Audit vs. Customer Audits - Can we count Customer Audits as IAs? Internal Auditing 25
A Should Customer Complaints trigger Internal Audits? Customer Complaints 6
Marc Buying Customer Scrap because of poor internal procedures Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
M Internal Supplier-Customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Internal Supplier / Customer concept in a Manufacturing industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Definition Internal Customer vs. Process Partner - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6