Definition Internal Customer vs. Process Partner - Definition of

D

Don Winton

I personally have issues with the general use of the term "internal customer", as I believe that this term is often abused.
While there may be cases where ‘internal customer’ may be abused, I would suggest these may in the minority. Perhaps I am wrong.

I do not agree with the (popular) interpretation of an "internal customer" being the next person in a production line or next department in the flow of production
While this may be true in a strict interpretation of the ‘standard’ but, I do believe that the concept of internal customers has its place. When an organization decides to start on the path of systems management, the idea of an internal customer must be considered. After all, if process A cannot hand off to process B acceptable product, that raises costs. I believe it was Deming who said “Every one in the organization has a customer. If he does not understand that, he does not understand his job.” Perhaps I am paraphrasing, but the gist is there.

I prefer to refer to these individuals or departments as "process partners" rather than "internal customers". The term "process partner" is much more accurate in their description and still promotes the central idea of working together toward a common goal.
I agree with this, in part. I am trying now to move my organization from a ‘quality management’ to a ‘systems management’ paradigm (BTW, Thanks Marc, good concept).

Regards,
Don

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Definition of a Customer

Subject: Re: Q: "Customer" Definition /White/Randall
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:57:13 -0600

> Subject: Q: "Customer" Definition /White
>
> Could someone provide me with a good definition of CUSTOMER under ISO 9000?
> In our ISO 9001 Quality System at our Government Installation, customer is
> defined as any outside entity that we develop a satellite, flight instrument
> etc. for under some type of MOA or other agreement. This includes our
> Agency's Headquarters organization. But would a Headquarters organization,
> Government or Industry, be a customer or a supplier under ISO since
> they provide the funding to do the work?

Tom,
If we look to ISO 8402:1994 we will find the following definition:
--------------------------
Customer
recipient of a product provided by the supplier

NOTES
1 In a contractual situation, the customer is called the "purchaser".
2 The customer may be, for example, the ultimate customer, user, beneficiary
or purchaser.
3 The customer can be either external or internal to the organization.

-------------------------

If we look under ISO/CD1 9000:1998 (planned to replace ISO 8402 in Nov. 2000) we find the following definition:
------------------------------

Customer
recipient of a product

EXAMPLES Examples of a customer are: ultimate consumer, end user,
beneficiary, purchaser

NOTE The customer can be internal or external to the organization.

------------------------------

I personally have issues with the general use of the term "internal customer", as I believe that this term is often abused. In my interpretation/opinion, an internal customer is a sister division or business unit who PURCHASES product/services (either directly or through book transfers).

I do not agree with the (popular) interpretation of an "internal customer" being the next person in a production line or next department in the flow of production (this appears to be contrary to the example given in ISO/CD1 9000:1998 and ISO 8402, note 2). I have found that companies can develop a tendency to focus on these "internal customers" more than their external (paying) customers.

I prefer to refer to these individuals or departments as "process partners" rather than "internal customers". The term "process partner" is much more accurate in their description and still promotes the central idea of working together toward a common goal.

I hope that this helps,

Richard

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T "Customer Specific" Internal Audit suggestions needed Internal Auditing 12
T Customer requires Internal Specification to be met on PPAP APQP and PPAP 7
M Utilizing ISO and Customer Audits for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 14
J C of C - Customer wants their internal procedures and standards indicated with rev AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 23
S Need to prepare Internal Customer Satisfaction Survey form for QA department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
V Can we take a Green Belt project to improve the Internal Customer Feedback Six Sigma 6
M 8.2.1 ?NOTE- Is Monitoring of Internal Customer Satisfaction a requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction - Is Internal Customer Satisfaction Employee Satisfaction IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Customer PPAP Approvals - Internal PPAP Possible? APQP and PPAP 7
U Customer Audit Nonconformity on Internal Audit Program done by Corporate QA General Auditing Discussions 19
S Internal Audit - No Proof of Acceptance of Customer New Payment Terms Internal Auditing 10
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M Internal and External Customer Survey Procedure and Form examples wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
ScottK Using Customer Audits as part of the Internal Audit Plan for ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A Internal Audit-Customer Related Processes Internal Auditing 2
O Internal Audit of Customer Specific Requirements Checklist - Where to start? Internal Auditing 9
L Internal Audit to Focus on Customer Complaint Re-occurrences Internal Auditing 4
I In ISO 9001:2008 - Can we show an Internal Department as our Client/Customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
P Can External Audits by Customer be treated As Internal Audits AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 21
I How to measure internal auditees' performance during customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
T How to Measure Internal Customer Satisfaction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Including Internal Metrics in the Calculation of Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI). IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K Definition Internal Customer - Definition - TS 16949 Clause 8.2.1 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
M What to "bubble" on customer print vs. internal print APQP and PPAP 4
S PPAP on Prototype tooling? Producing components for internal customer (assembly) APQP and PPAP 5
D Internal form we use to handle Customer Complaints - To control or not to control Customer Complaints 6
SteelMaiden Customer's Internal Audit - SQA - Supplier ISO 9001 Certificate Expired Internal Auditing 11
A Internal Labs - Customer asked why our reliability laboratory isn't 17025 certified ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
M Identifying Internal Customer Requirements - This is my list so far ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Customer Satisfaction and Internal Audits Internal Auditing 3
T GM Customer Specific Requirements - Internal Auditor Qualifications Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
A Internal audits on CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - Look at Ford's Behemoth Internal Auditing 1
Raffy Internal Audit vs. Customer Audits - Can we count Customer Audits as IAs? Internal Auditing 25
A Should Customer Complaints trigger Internal Audits? Customer Complaints 6
Marc Buying Customer Scrap because of poor internal procedures Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
M Internal Supplier-Customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Internal Customer Satisfaction - Objective Evaluation QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 17
D Internal Supplier / Customer concept in a Manufacturing industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Internal Customer Satisfaction QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7