SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Internal Laboratory - Defining the Laboratory Scope - Inspection, Test, Calibration

D
I have been asked to write the procedure on the Internal Laboratory, but am confused. The standard says that the Lab shall have a defined scope the includes its capability to perform the required inspection, test or calibration services. Question is, how do I define that scope? What evidence would I need to supply?
Any help or guidance appreciated.

David

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

JStain - 2008

Internal Lab

If I understand you correctly, they want you to define what your capable of doing. Here's a link to some examples:

http://www.a2la.org/#

This is a bit more involved, however it will give you a place to start. I've seen them as simple a a spread sheet to as complex as a Power Point Presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sal881vw

Hello DJN,

I think something like this will fit the scope..........
This technical, QMS......whatever, defines the technique used to carry out tests, calibrations........ using standard and in house methods.

You can also find valuable information by searching the web for ISO/IEC 17025

Good luck

bpritts

Involved - Posts
David:

The format provided by Ralph is absolutely on target.

With regard to evidence, you need to consider:

A. the written procedures (either standards or your own internal) on how
to do the procedure

B. Evidence of qualification. How do you determine that your internal
procedures work? Could be confirming a test using a 3rd party to repeat a
test as an audit
check, for example.
C. Most auditors also have special focus on training of those doing the
testing. Have your training records up to date!

Best regards,
Brad

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
DJN said:
I have been asked to write the procedure on the Internal Laboratory, but am confused. The standard says that the Lab shall have a defined scope the includes its capability to perform the required inspection, test or calibration services. Question is, how do I define that scope? What evidence would I need to supply?
Any help or guidance appreciated.

David
David,

The scope provided by Ralph is good, and for an internal lab may be sufficient.

I am a bit fuzzy whether TS-16949 requires internal labs to be accredited however. Your external providers are required to be accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 so I am given to understand.

If accreditation of internal labs is required, then the scope needs more work. Places to go to look at scopes for either calibration or testing include three of the accrediting bodies that offer accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:

http://www.iasonline.org

http://www.a2la.org

http://ts.nist.gov/htdocs/210/214/214.htm

Hope this helps.

Hershal

R

ralphsulser

My understanding at this time is that Internal Labs (ours at least) does not require accrediation. However, you are correct about external labs needing it.

K

Ken K

If your company supplies product to GM, your internal lab needs to be ISO 17025 accredited.

They are currently upgrading their specs to read:

3.1 General Requirements. Testing is to be performed
by a laboratory accredited or audited, by
a third party organization recognized by GM, to
ISO 17025/IEC Guide 25 or GM GP-10. Include a
Scope of Accreditation or a Scope of Activity with the
test data. Registration to QS9000 is not a substitute
for lab accreditation.

Since GP-10 is no longer praticed by GM, your only choice is accreditation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
H Internal laboratory scope requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B IATF 16949 - 7.1.5.3.1 Internal calibration laboratory requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
V Temperature/humidity requirements in internal metrology laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Internal Laboratory Scope and Measurement Uncertainty (MU) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C MU (Measurement Uncertainty) in an Internal Calibration Laboratory Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
sswaim Auditing Internal Laboratory Personnel for Competence General Auditing Discussions 4
S Internal Calibration Laboratory Inspection/Approval General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Casana What is an Internal Laboratory - TS 16949 Clause 7.6.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Auditing TS 16949 Cl. 7.6.3.1 - Internal Calibration Laboratory Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T Sampling for an Internal Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J TS 16949 requirements for an internal laboratory equipment list IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Comparing Laboratory Scope of Accreditation against internal equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Internal Laboratory Services - Selling Services to "Outside" Customers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M TS 16949 Clause 7.6.3.1 - Internal Laboratory - need clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K TS 16949 Clause 7.6.3.1 - Internal Laboratory Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Mikey324 ISO/TS 16949 Clause 7.6.3.1 - Internal Laboratory - Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
P 7.6.3 Internal or External Laboratory? Measuring instruments used in production IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
K Internal laboratory - applies only to Calibration or also to other laboratories? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P ISO/TS 16949:2002 - Internal Laboratory Scope - Post good example please! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S In-House (Internal) Laboratory Scope Requirement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
R Standard Methods - Internal Calibration Laboratory - What if there is no standard? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Internal Results vs. Independent Testing Laboratory - Inkometer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
D Does TS 16949 require us to have an internal laboratory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Stijloor Is the Laboratory in HQ (Japan) considered an Internal Laboratory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
K Internal Calibration - Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
K AS9100 6.2.2 - Internal ISO 17025 Laboratory - Clause 5.2 Personnel Best Practices ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
S Skipping internal audits in internal laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
C Definition Internal Laboratory as defined in TS16949 - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
D Internal Laboratory Scope - Ranges for Measurement Tools Specified? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Company Internal Calibration - Is Internal Calibration a LABORATORY? TS16949 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
R TS16949 Clause 7.6.3.1 - Internal laboratory - Facility shall have a defined scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A Internal Labs - Customer asked why our reliability laboratory isn't 17025 certified ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
S Estimation of uncertainity for Internal Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Internal laboratory requirements and technician skills - TS 16949 para. 7.6.3.1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J 7.6.3.1 Internal Laboratory - Are "Technical requirements" defined somehow? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Internal Laboratory - Isn't it required to keep a record of the temperature? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Internal Audit of Internal Calibration Laboratory - Inspection sample size question Internal Auditing 2
B ISO16949: 2002: trouble with 7.6.3 point - Internal Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Lab Quality System - Developing a Quality System for an Internal Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T TS 16949 Para. 7.6.3.1 - Internal Laboratory - Defined scope that includes capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Laboratory Scope for TS 16949 Internal Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Internal Calibration Laboratory Requirements - Ambient temperature, Humidity, Etc. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
V Does an internal calibration laboratory need to be certified on ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
P QS-9000 Internal Laboratory Requirements - Guide 17025 certified or equivalent ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
J Internal Laboratory Scope - Methods & Standards QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
G Organizing internal audit program for an Integrated QHSE Management System Internal Auditing 13
W How do you phrase your internal audit questions? Internal Auditing 3
M IATF - Internal Audit 3 year span Internal Auditing 4