Internal NCR Meetings

N.galt

Starting to get Involved
Another thought on the triage format, if you decide to use it: It's critical that people bring the right information to the meeting. Some basic questions might include: What happened? Who reported it? When did it happen (if known), and when was it found? What product is affected? How was it found?
Yes, I think that I'm going to use a hybrid of both of your advice so far. I'll triage and tackle the highest value NCR's first

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
Yes, I think that I'm going to use a hybrid of both of your advice so far. I'll triage and tackle the highest value NCR's first
Facing the problem head on and getting things actually fixed is the only way of eventually overcoming this situation, it's hard work, but the pay off is well worth it.

Best of luck :)

Last edited:

Matt's Quality Handle

Involved In Discussions
Another tip for this is to have separate meetings. It sounds like something I encountered, where the status meetings became a defacto, semi-buttocks problem solving meetings. Our operations managers were trying to problem solve while the meeting was supposed to be a status update. I don't blame them, we had everyone that was needed for a cross-functional problem solving meeting right there. But it was impossible to go into sufficient depth to get a good solution, and we'd never make it through the whole list at any given time.

For example:
Me: NCR-1234, customer reported 2 parts with missing clips.
FF1 Manager: We got containment yesterday. [To engineering] can we put a sensor in the feed to cut off when a clip doesn't feed.
Engineering: No, there's no place to attach. We could...

...and at this point, I've lost control of the meeting.

Keep meetings as short as possible to cover what you're going to cover. Be specific with what the meeting will be covering. Set expectations accordingly. If this is a status update, expect just a status update. Offer to schedule problem solving sessions at another time if needed.

Zero_yield

No cost too great...for Quality
Keep meetings as short as possible to cover what you're going to cover. Be specific with what the meeting will be covering. Set expectations accordingly. If this is a status update, expect just a status update. Offer to schedule problem solving sessions at another time if needed.
:applause:

Agreed wholeheartedly. The phrases we use here are "let's take this discussion off-line" or "let's get [relevant data] and follow up with [relevant person] and discuss again tomorrow."

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I go to weekly meetings were NCRs are status checked and someone's NCR is thoroughly discussed, we have homework assignments to comment on a particular section. It feels like Thunderdome. I hate it, but have grown a thicker skin over time.

Anyway, I think it would be better to set up 5 or 7 minutes individually than air it out in a group like that. Unless it's a repeat - then it seems to me that the group perspective might be best.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Internal NCR - API Q1 5.4.2b - API 16C Clause 4.1.3 Internal Auditing 9
R Internal Auditing Checklist - Major NCR because the Checklist was not Completed Internal Auditing 17
M How to handle Rejections of a Internal NCR event Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
K How to categorize Minor, Major or Observation for Internal Audit NCR Internal Auditing 28
M Internal NCR - Welded steel - Fixes during welding process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
C Is NCR compulsory for all Nonconformances found during Internal Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M TUV NCR 1 - Internal Audit did not audit the second shift Internal Auditing 26
R Capturing Non-Product Related and Internal Systems NCR / Complaint Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M NCR (minor) - Internal auditor qualification not prescribed Internal Auditing 7
T Robust internal audit program AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J Average number of Nonconformances during internal quality audit for Medical Device Manufacturers Internal Auditing 3
Q AS9100:D Counterfeit internal audit questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Check Sheet ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Qualified MDR internal auditor? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
L Internal audits for IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E FDA & Internal Audits US Medical Device Regulations 3
LabCat Internal SOP for a validated (ISO) method? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
L Documenting internal audit of customer specific requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
T Internal and external communication procedure for Food Safety Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
R Looking for ISO 13485 Internal Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
E Cybersecurity for Internal Tool Validation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
G During internal audit - finding poor action plans ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
G Opening meeting - internal audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G NC criteria during internal audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Information on Process-based Internal Auditing Needed Internal Auditing 6
H Ever given an Operations Manager an internal Corrective Action Request? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
TheAxiomaticHamster Internal ISO17025:2017 Compliant Reporting ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Mr Roo Discovered dishonesty after performing an internal audit General Auditing Discussions 4
Q Internal calibration (stopwatch) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Internal Laboratory (7.1.5.3.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
W IATF 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit how to determine risk IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
B Consistently Late Internal Audits- Any Suggestions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 114
X Looking for 17025 auditor to perform internal audit on IT software testing laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Customer Dimensions on Internal Drawing, all of them? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Internal Auditor Competence for Automotive CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M ISO27001 18.2.1 - Internal Independent review IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
J 9001 Internal Audit of Client Onboarding process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F Internal Laboratory Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G Internal Laboratory Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
B Internal audit checklist Internal Auditing 5
V Internal Audit Software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Internal Audit Schedule IATF Internal Auditing 4
J API Q1 4.3.2.2 Personnel Competence for Internal Auditors Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Internal auditor competence assessment Internal Auditing 13
C ISO 14001 Internal Audit - Opportunity for Improvement ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
T Ford CSR for Internal Auditors 2021 Internal Auditing 4
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P Looking to outsource Internal Audit - MDSAP competent auditor needed Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
D INTERNAL LABORATORY IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Transition training for Internal Auditor from ISO 9001: 2008 to the ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2