Internal PPM's in a medium sized metal stamping plant

JerryJ

Involved In Discussions
I have a question regarding Internal PPM's. I have search the forum and could not believe that there were few post's on this.
Our internal PPM average for the 2016 year is 1273.
I have been told this is too high. We are a medium sized metal stamping plant & we run around 500 part numbers and I do not see this as being high.
Is 1273 a high number. What is a normal Internal PPM. On the treads I did see all the answers were its hard to say. There has to be an industry standard.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Internal PPM's

Too many factors to say. Depends a lot on what you are doing. Who said it was too high? The number itself isn't that useful. But the trend towards 0 is. I'd focus on cutting in in half, then in half again, etc.

JerryJ

Involved In Discussions
Re: Internal PPM's

For example in the month of July we ran 1,629,859 parts and scraped a total of 1455 pcs. which gives me a Internal PPM of 892. For running a million and a half parts I believe this is a low number. We have 15 Presses and 30+ welders. All it takes is one die to screw up and then we are scrapping parts. To set a number without knowing what the outcome for the month is you would always be doing corrective actions for internal PPM's.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I have worked in metal stamping and you have a low PPM. I agree with Golfman25, in that scrap reduction is a goal, but the reality is you will never reach zero. I have seen shops where getting a scrap rate on a complex, poorly bid job saw (a deep draw which should have used prog dies but was bid for "one die" on one press - and the product was an aluminum alloy) scrap rates on that specific piece exceeded 40%.

I would look at and trend your PPM on each part number. PPM across a range of parts is OK to look at but not very useful.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Internal PPMs depend heavily on the type of product and the process. Some processes generate defects that are independent of each other while some like stamping can generate slugs of consecutive defective parts. The latter type of process will typically generate higher PPM levels.

Another consideration is how you count. Do you include/exclude setup scrap into the calculation?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
To address your other question - there really is no industry standard. first what is good today is too high tomorrow. each company has their own mix of products and technologies and pricing structures. so each standard would only apply to a very small number of companies in any industry. It isn't like airline crash rates or 'on-time' flights or medical infections while in hospital. These metrics must be reported and these industries are highly standardized to begin with. most industries do not have to report their metrics regarding defect rates and very few actually do this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
V PPM - Internal PPM / External PPM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
Z Predicting External PPM Capability from Internal PPM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D Internal or External PPM form or template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
H Does internal ppm include defects produced while adjusting the machine? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 22
B The correct approach to calculating Internal Scrap ppm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H Who is responsible for quality of the company (Internal ppm) - Quality or Production? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
P How do you decide what is an acceptable Internal and External PPM number? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
B Internal Auditor Competency - Product Auditors Internal Auditing 9
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
F Internal transfer of work from one line to another? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 10
M Major vs. Minor for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 10
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 6
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
I What direction do you provide your internal auditors on OFIs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 11
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
D Impartiality of Internal Auditor ISO 9001/13485 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 9
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
Ron Rompen Internal Quality Alert Program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5