Internal Process Audits - 7.1 Planning - How do YOU audit it?

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Several interesting threads fringing on this subject on the front page today, but that's not why I'm here.

I'm here because I think I've identified a weak spot in my auditing practices, and I'm seeking your counsel in how to best approach it.

The usual constraints - small company, limited resources, developmentally adolescent systems.

In my previous lifetime I was sheltered, I suspect. Our external auditor did not dig deeply into the 7.1 Planning of Product Realization, and our efforts to address it were accepted. But now I have a new post at an even smaller company, I'm the QA manager, and we're getting to know a new auditor.

I've always found Planning to be one of those things that everybody feels they do. And, in reviewing the standard, it appears that they do. Sales does some planning, as does Engineering, Purchasing, Materials, Integration & Testing all have a role to play in planning.

So now to the meat of my question. My approach to internal audits is to loosely structure the practices that the company uses to turn customer fantasy into saleable product in process groups to help map how the corn goes through the goose ( or insert analogy of your choice here ).

And in training a new team of internal auditors, I realized I've always given planning short shrift. So the rock I'm stuck on is this: Do I define planning as a process group deserving of it's own audit, or do I acknowledge that it exists across all disciplines by the nature of our business, and sprinkle it's components across the existing process groups ( Management, QA, Sales, Design, Purchasing, Integration / Test, Customer Service ad nauseum?

I am primarily asking for your input on how YOU personally address this. I will not be ungrateful for general advice and philosophic input, but YOUR personal approach is what I'm seeking here.

As always, couldn't do it without you folks - :thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Well, it depends...:notme:

This is one of those areas where the "one size fits all" approach of the standard, doesn't really work too well, IMHO. The depends is going to be based on what you do - custom work or standard products and this will drive complexity of planning, who gets involved etc.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
We build computers and associated gear for military and commercial applications, so it's a mix of standard and custom for us, heavy on the custom.

Well, perhaps I have just answered my own question. In a search for "auditing 7.1" I turned up this quote from [Randy(Super Moderator)]:

" And please don't waste time auditing 7.1....Audit everything from 7.2.1 to 7.6 that is applicable to your system and that's your proof of verifying 7.1...Pay attention to it though and you'll see what I mean "

So I checked it out and I see what he means - you cover all the ground addressed in 7.1, it's just spread out across the process groups of Management, Sales, Design, Integration & Test, at least when viewed through the rose colored glasses I use to view our organization through.

Last edited:
S

silentrunning

I have never audited any of the point 1 clauses. They seem to be a preview of things to come and are more of an outline of things covered later. Since we are now process auditing it really seems unnecessary.

B

bluepagen

I agree with all that has been said, each process has some planning built in. Evident when department meetings are held. But we have a planning department that reviews the enginering specs, any outside process, inspectioin points - first article, in process and final, and any machine operations that have to take place, painting, nde, and then store in the warehouse, where it will be pulled for assembly and testing. This department that reviews all the steps needed, put it on a job router, and the router is what the shop follows. This is our method of planning that we focus on. The operation has all the inputs, with who, with what, a method of measuring effectiveness and outputs. It is a process.

I have been in smaller machine shops when auditing our vendors, and each, regardless of size, has had a job traveler in a clear protector, or a router with drawings or instructions.

Hope this helps.

W

Wilderness Woody

Well, perhaps I have just answered my own question. In a search for "auditing 7.1" I turned up this quote from [Randy(Super Moderator)]:

" And please don't waste time auditing 7.1....Audit everything from 7.2.1 to 7.6 that is applicable to your system and that's your proof of verifying 7.1...Pay attention to it though and you'll see what I mean "
Very much agree with this perspective... we do not audit 7.1 as we build in planning to all appropriate processes since PCDA cycle is how the real world gets things done!

Supporting processes, shop floor management software environment provide the structure and framework to direct and document planning and execution of product realization. Evidence can be demonstrated through the review of procedures, open and archived plans and retained records (data).

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
The system operates on the PDCA cycle and within the system several processes, sub processes or supporting processes also operates on its own PDCA cycle. Each of these processes have inputs, processes these inputs and adds value, and delivers useful outputs for an other process to take it forward.
How much each process have a grip over their inputs, use all the inputs to perform tasks, and deliver all outputs must be very clear to them., and this must be assessed in the auditing.
What are your clear outputs ?
What are your inputs that you process ?
Why do you want them ?
How do you use all of them ?
Do you add your inputs as well ?
What are they ?
How do you get feedback about your outputs ?
How do you use the feedback into your inputs ?
Such questioning and assessing the connections in each response will show the presence of good planning or absence of same.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Super Moderator
There is one topic that you can audit effectively by itself in 7.1, and that is how you plan for production of each work order/traveler/router or whatever you call it in your company. What you do here is the main thing you use to provide control of production for 7.5.1. If you are looking over traveler development before you audit production, you are auditing 7.1.

I view the aspects of planning for 7.1 in both a big picture (macro) perspective and the little picture (micro) perspective. Building the traveler fits the micro planning. It is easy to audit. The big picture planning (macro) may be harder to audit, and may include such things as how big of a facility you need, how many employees are needed, what equipment is needed, what computer system (hardware and software) is needed, and so on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Does ISO 9001 *require* that Internal Audits be Process Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Same auditor shouldn't do two consecutive Internal Audits on same Process/Procedure? General Auditing Discussions 12
S Internal Audits where process chunks are geographically spread out Internal Auditing 1
Howard Atkins Process Approach Requirement for Internal Audits in TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 46
Casana How to document Internal Audits done via the "Process Audit" methodology Internal Auditing 9
5 Process based Internal Audits, instead of auditing to the elements of the standard Internal Auditing 21
N I'm still not grasping the idea of Process Based Internal Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 19
J Layered Process Audits vs. Internal System Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 17
J Internal Process Auditing - Auditor Unhappy - Wants Layered Process Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 13
B Internal Audits - Changing from Check Lists to Process Approach Internal Auditing 13
C TS 16949 Internal Audits - SIPOC (Suppliers*Inputs*Process*Outputs*Customers) Internal Auditing 15
T Lacking Auditors for Internal Process Audits - What to Do? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 8
Howard Atkins New to Internal Process Auditing - Seeking Sample Process Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 31
Gman2 ISO 9001:2000 Internal Audit: Someone PLEASE find me the "Shall" on "Process Audits" Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 37
A Internal Audits - Design Process Measurement (Measureables) Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
Gman2 ISO 9001 Internal Audit Checklists and Process Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 31
H Process Approach - Internal Audits - Example Check List Attached Internal Auditing 11
Raffy The Role of the Process Audit in ISO 9000 Internal Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 22
V Planning Internal Process Audits to the new standard - ISO 9001:2000 Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 7
M 'Process Approach' to ISO 9000 Internal Audits - Identify an 'owner' for each process Internal Auditing 15
A Internal Audits - Can we to perform audit just using process maps? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
V Process and Internal Audit Criteria matrix wanted Internal Auditing 8
A ISO 13485 - Internal Auditor Independence and Process Owners ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E How do I create a FMEA for the Internal Audit process? Internal Auditing 11
R AS9100D Internal Audit Process Checklists ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Internal Audit Matrix Process Query ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
AmandaMusser Internal Calibration Process Suggestions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Process Writing Software Suggestions for Internal Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
W Internal Audit of the Internal Audit Process Internal Auditing 15
L Request APQP Process Internal Audit checklist APQP and PPAP 2
K Process Owners signing Internal Audit Reports Internal Auditing 6
T Process for Reviewing Internal Data Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
R On Auditing Internal Audit Process - How Independence can be Established Internal Auditing 4
R Auditing a process outside the realm of the formal Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Can I skip Payment Process audit for TS16949 Internal Audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C ISO 17025 Internal Audit of an "Internal Audit Process" ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
N Internal Audit Process for small Medical Device company Internal Auditing 9
M Auditing the Internal Audit Process - 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 2
J Auditing the Internal Auditing Process - Audit Nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 3
P Company Conducted Internal Audit Offsite using a Document Review Process Internal Auditing 65
F Airport Internal Audit Checklist (Cleaning, Project Process, Maintenance, etc) Internal Auditing 3
P Internal Audit Corrective Actions - Can a CB write an NC on an in-process CA? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
B Can I use Internal Audit Checklist to do Process Audit? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 9
S Must I document qualification(s) or qualification process for Internal Auditors? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
K When is the best time to Audit the Internal Audit Process? Internal Auditing 25
R Process Internal Audit Checklist for Service Organizations wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10