Internal Quality Audit - Can I follow the Auditors and Ask Questions?

A

aynin_quality

hi again!

i have formed an internal quality audit team. they will be conducting our internal quality audit this month. is it ok if i accompany the auditors during their rounds and am i allowed to say anything during the internal audit?

really appreciate all of your advises.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
hi again!

i have formed an internal quality audit team. they will be conducting our internal quality audit this month. is it ok if i accompany the auditors during their rounds and am i allowed to say anything during the internal audit?

Sure, unless they've taken out a restraining order. :D

There's nothing insofar as the standard is concerned that prevents it. You might be thinking of registration audits and consultants; generally consultants are allowed to be present during registrar's audits, but they're not allowed to "guide" the audit.

Randy

Super Moderator
What are the procedures for your audit program? Just follow your procedure....A question...What do you want to ask and why? Asking questions after your auditor could give an indication that you do not think they are competent and could diminish them in front of the other employees.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
In my opinion, since you "formed" the audit team, you can ask both auditors and auditees questions or make comments as "continuing education" as well as to assure competence of the audit AND a step up on the management review.

Whether you come across as a "wise and caring mentor" or an "interfering, micromanaging horse's a$$" is dependent on how much you care about your team and the organization and how you make that clear to your audience.

C

cokyat

hi again!

Hi! Kumusta? Its good to hear from you...
Well as per your questions, I've been a Lead Auditor for 6 years in an automotive company here in our country and I've been accompanying the auditors during the surveillance and we are still certified...:) until now...

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
hi again!

There isn't any problem in asking questions during your "internal" audits, but I would refrain (unless for clarification) from asking questions during the "External" audit.

Randy said:
What do you want to ask and why? Asking questions after your auditor could give an indication that you do not think they are competent and could diminish them in front of the other employees.
But, Randy is right. If you ask questions while your "Internal" audit is being performed, it may cause them to think twice and ask to be relieved from acting in the capacity of Internal Auditors, because they could think that you don't feel comfortable with them as auditors. :caution:

Last edited:
There is no problem in asking questions but the questions should not be silly or so elementary that the "external" auditors lose confidence in the system :eek:

I usually ask questions towards the enhancement or continuous improvements of the system requirements

Q

qualityboi

Personally I would square the idea of asking questions during the opening meeting. It would be a professional courtesy and it would not take them by surprise. Also you don't want it to affect the time line for an audit that may be pre-scheduled. I often asked questions during a 3rd party audit but I let the auditors know ahead of time that I was not challenging them and that is was for my own growth as an internal auditor.

B

Bill Pflanz

This question is a tough call. If the purpose of your questions is for training purposes to make sure the internal auditing team is asking the right questions, the right way then you should communicate your purpose to the internal auditors and even to the auditees. By briefly explaining why you are present, it will keep your auditors from being embarassed. Those being audited need to know so they understand that auditors are in training and not just being turned loose.

Of course, if you follow along and effectively take over the audit because of all your questions then you have done a disservice to everyone. Assuming your purpose is to train auditors, your questions should be discrete or you should save your comments until a post review of the audit with the internal auditors. I learned from a good auditor but he did have a tendency during the initial audits to be a little pushy so I am speaking from experience.

Bill Pflanz

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
hi again!

Hi, aynin -

When you say you have formed an internal quality audit team, do you mean that these are newly trained internal auditors? Here's what my Internal Audit Procedure states:

3.1 AUDITOR QUALIFICATON

3.1.1 Any employee may volunteer to become an Internal Auditor after 90 days of employment. This minimum employment period is necessary in order to ensure that auditor candidates comprehend the organizational structure, functions and relationships, as well as the management system processes and related terminology.

3.1.2 Auditor candidates must receive training in TCI audit practices and the referenced documents in section 4.0 of this procedure. Training is conducted by the Lead Auditor.

3.1.3 Newly trained auditors will be accompanied by the Lead Auditor for no less than two rounds of auditing. This allows the Lead Auditor to evaluate the personal attributes and interview techniques of the auditor, as well as his ability to apply the audit principles and techniques learned in auditor training.

I take great care to not undermine or embarrass a new auditor - but I think it is a good idea to accompany them to observe and help out if needed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Average number of Nonconformances during internal quality audit for Medical Device Manufacturers Internal Auditing 3
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
T Internal Audit not done for Quality Department Internal Auditing 11
Q Internal Audit of Product Quality Complaint System (21 CFR Part 820) Customer Complaints 9
F Quality Audit and Internal Control Audit Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S Internal Quality Audit Tracking Sheet with Auto Report Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
M Internal Quality Audit for Maintenance Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Risk Based Internal Quality Audit Scheduling and Planning Internal Auditing 2
M Internal Audit of our ISO 9001 Quality Systems prior to the Registration Audit Internal Auditing 9
B Where do I start when I Internal Audit the Quality Management System? Internal Auditing 8
A How to Address Internal Quality Audit Findings Internal Auditing 8
9 Internal Audit vs. Internal Quality Audit - What is the difference Internal Auditing 23
R ISO 9001 Internal Quality Audit by Consultants (External agency) Internal Auditing 5
V Internal Quality Audit Focuses Internal Auditing 8
S Motivation for IQA (Internal Quality Audit) Auditors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A How to Audit the Quality Department (Internal Audit) Internal Auditing 15
B Value adding for Internal Quality Audit training General Auditing Discussions 18
V Internal Quality Audit - Themes for auditing the company QMS Internal Auditing 1
P External Contract Auditor for Internal Quality Audit Internal Auditing 25
J Internal Audit NC ISO 9001 Clause Mapping - Quality Objective Achievement Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Quality Manual Internal Audit at least once prior to certification audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Software Quality Audit - Internal Audit Checklists Software Quality Assurance 6
6 How to implement a functional system and carry out high quality internal Audit? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
L Is an internal audit of quality department required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Cost-Benefit Analysis of Internal Quality Audit Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A Is an Internal Quality Audit Checklist necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Internal Quality Audit Software - IQA Dash Board Internal Auditing 1
C An Internal Audit Challenge - Audit of the Quality System Effectiveness Internal Auditing 42
M Internal Quality Audit (IQA) Report Sample Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
B Internal audit and quality performance improvement Internal Auditing 11
Q How to Internal Audit a Quality department - ISO 9001:2000 14001:2004 OHSAS18001:1999 Internal Auditing 20
W Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Examples - Quality Audits Internal Auditing 14
O Quality internal audit metrics - How to determine and show Audit Effectiveness Internal Auditing 9
S Internal Quality Audit Management Software General Auditing Discussions 13
M Can external quality consultant carry out internal audit? Internal Auditing 17
M Internal Quality Audit - Seeking Example Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Internal Quality Audit File is missing !! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Who may audit the internal quality audit system? General Auditing Discussions 8
M ISO 9001:2000 Process Based Internal Quality Audit Plan General Auditing Discussions 11
D Internal Quality Audit - Desk Top Audit First? General Auditing Discussions 8
K Are internal audit results a true reflection of the organisations quality system Internal Auditing 2
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 42
Ron Rompen Internal Quality Alert Program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
Gman2 Quality Record Retention (Internal Audits, CA's) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Suggestions of Videos for Internal QUALITY Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S Is it a Finding if all Internal Auditors are from the Quality Department? Internal Auditing 18
A Quality Awareness Communications through Internal TVs Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
L Quality Manager wants Internal Auditor to softgrade the findings - What shall I do? Internal Auditing 23