Internal Quality Audit for Maintenance Department

M

Muhd Firdaus

Dear all,

i will be conducting internal audit for ISO9001 in my company. I need to audit maintenance department and need some checklist to help me to audit the department. i have seen in their quality manual and there is no procedure for Maintenance Department.The previous IQA audit for Maintenance has also found to be very simple and i feel not sufficient for 2 hour audit time for the department.Maybe all of u can share with me your experience in auditing maintenance.

Thank You

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
An audit of the maintenance department should be an audit of their process(es) and we can't give you a meaningful checklist. You have to put in the work to study and understand their objectives, the way the process is measured and monitored and also the process(es). You should also research current problems due to machine down time - lost production, over time, late deliveries etc.

Only when you have studied these will you be prepared for your internal audit.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dear all,

i will be conducting internal audit for ISO9001 in my company. I need to audit maintenance department and need some checklist to help me to audit the department. i have seen in their quality manual and there is no procedure for Maintenance Department.The previous IQA audit for Maintenance has also found to be very simple and i feel not sufficient for 2 hour audit time for the department.Maybe all of u can share with me your experience in auditing maintenance.

Thank You
You will be internal auditing the maintenance process
This process does not demand a documented procedure, however if it has one then that must be your basis.
You will be looking into Infrastructure...
Who and how it is determined (see records of management review)
Are they provided ?
Are they in use and covered effectively within the company maintenance program or the supplier's annual maintenance contract.
You must determine if the maintenance records are covered in your records control and if the records show good evidence of optimum maintenance activity.
Look into any quality objectives that are determined in the maintenance process which align with the organization policy and objectives. Audit its monitoring and effectiveness.
Audit the support services that your company uses and how they are helping the organization's purpose.
You will be looking into work environment...
This is towards the product requirement.
What are they that are determined ?
Lighting, Controlled temperature areas for working / storage, .. what else
Are they provided as determined and managed.
What are the evidences that you can look into
Note your observations and ....
>
>>
>>>
Guess you are done

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Dear all,

Thank You
Hi.
AndyN and Someshekar have already said a lot .
I would like to share my idea for process audit approach, by using the model of turtle diagram. During audit you shall assess input and output of the process/activity, how it is measured, with whom it is carried out, how it is controlled, which are the procedures and tools of the process, what are the linkage with other processes.
It is important to check competence and training of the involved personnel, reaction mechanism in case of problems, corrective and preventive actions, records of the process, compleince with laws and statutory requirements etc..
I have conducted many audit for this and I think it is important to go on the field interviweing personnel and technician and supervisors that manage the plant. Check also the control of external origin documentation: I think they use OEM manuals and they should provide control as per your internal document procudure.Check the contigency plan in case of down expecially in the case of cogeneration plant. If the use outsoucer for some activity, assess the control in place...there are many items, in any case establish the scope and the criteria for this internal audit with the commitment.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
Lots of good suggestions already given. I am currently in the process of scheduling an auditor for our Maintenance department as well.

We are a manufacturing facility, one of the things that our 9001 has is 'scheduled Preventative Maintenance of the machines':
-Do they get the machines on time?
-Do they use any forms? If so completed?
-Work done by appropriate person (electrical inspected by electrical-authorized vs. general mechanic)?

What process does maintenance follow for non-routine work requests? Any forms? Is process consistent?

What other records do they keep? Can these be viewed as interfacing with Quality?

Do they have lots of items needing repaired and limited amounts in the shop? Can't get quality parts when the shop doesn't have tools to work with.
:2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
T Internal Audit not done for Quality Department Internal Auditing 11
Q Internal Audit of Product Quality Complaint System (21 CFR Part 820) Customer Complaints 9
F Quality Audit and Internal Control Audit Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S Internal Quality Audit Tracking Sheet with Auto Report Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
A Risk Based Internal Quality Audit Scheduling and Planning Internal Auditing 2
M Internal Audit of our ISO 9001 Quality Systems prior to the Registration Audit Internal Auditing 9
B Where do I start when I Internal Audit the Quality Management System? Internal Auditing 8
A How to Address Internal Quality Audit Findings Internal Auditing 8
9 Internal Audit vs. Internal Quality Audit - What is the difference Internal Auditing 23
R ISO 9001 Internal Quality Audit by Consultants (External agency) Internal Auditing 5
V Internal Quality Audit Focuses Internal Auditing 8
S Motivation for IQA (Internal Quality Audit) Auditors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A How to Audit the Quality Department (Internal Audit) Internal Auditing 15
B Value adding for Internal Quality Audit training General Auditing Discussions 18
V Internal Quality Audit - Themes for auditing the company QMS Internal Auditing 1
P External Contract Auditor for Internal Quality Audit Internal Auditing 18
J Internal Audit NC ISO 9001 Clause Mapping - Quality Objective Achievement Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Quality Manual Internal Audit at least once prior to certification audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Software Quality Audit - Internal Audit Checklists Software Quality Assurance 6
6 How to implement a functional system and carry out high quality internal Audit? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
L Is an internal audit of quality department required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Cost-Benefit Analysis of Internal Quality Audit Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A Is an Internal Quality Audit Checklist necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Internal Quality Audit Software - IQA Dash Board Internal Auditing 1
C An Internal Audit Challenge - Audit of the Quality System Effectiveness Internal Auditing 42
M Internal Quality Audit (IQA) Report Sample Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
B Internal audit and quality performance improvement Internal Auditing 11
A Internal Quality Audit - Can I follow the Auditors and Ask Questions? Internal Auditing 11
Q How to Internal Audit a Quality department - ISO 9001:2000 14001:2004 OHSAS18001:1999 Internal Auditing 20
W Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Examples - Quality Audits Internal Auditing 14
O Quality internal audit metrics - How to determine and show Audit Effectiveness Internal Auditing 9
S Internal Quality Audit Management Software General Auditing Discussions 13
M Can external quality consultant carry out internal audit? Internal Auditing 17
M Internal Quality Audit - Seeking Example Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Internal Quality Audit File is missing !! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Who may audit the internal quality audit system? General Auditing Discussions 8
M ISO 9001:2000 Process Based Internal Quality Audit Plan General Auditing Discussions 11
D Internal Quality Audit - Desk Top Audit First? General Auditing Discussions 8
K Are internal audit results a true reflection of the organisations quality system Internal Auditing 2
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 42
Ron Rompen Internal Quality Alert Program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
Gman2 Quality Record Retention (Internal Audits, CA's) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Suggestions of Videos for Internal QUALITY Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S Is it a Finding if all Internal Auditors are from the Quality Department? Internal Auditing 18
A Quality Awareness Communications through Internal TVs Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
L Quality Manager wants Internal Auditor to softgrade the findings - What shall I do? Internal Auditing 23
S Internal Quality Assessment/Questionnaire Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8