International Occupational & Health Safety Management System Standard

Randy

Super Moderator
Here is an internationally accepted OHSMS standard (guidance document). It is being used by the AIHA (American Industrial Hygiene Association) to develop an American OHS standard.

This guidance document document was developed by the International Labor Organization (founded in 1919).

The system stuff starts in clause 3.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Thank you!

Looks like a bit of a read, I glanced over it and will be interested in how much is kept and/or added vs. what is left out and/or changed by the time the AIHA is done with it.

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
Any body has the Idea when this OSHAS 18001 may become an ISO standard?. Second thing my company is planning to go for this . In case it becomes an ISO standard, what would be implication of it.

Randy

Super Moderator
The way it looks right now there won't be an ISO OSH standard for quite a while.

The implications will be the same as 14001...customer driven for the most part

R

Roger Eastin

It seems like I am hearing more and more about OHSAS18001. I haven't heard anything about ISO getting involved, but it seems like more companies are doing this on their own. Maybe this is what Randy meant by ISO waiting for customer demand.

J

Jimmy Olson

Is there any news on an American OHS standard? Or is America adopting OHSAS 18001? I am interested in finding out because I am trying to develop a safety program at my company and was interested in having something to use as a framework.

Randy

Super Moderator
You came to the right place there Richard. I'm originally a safety guy with a BS in Occupational Health & Safety.

Th US (actually ANSI & AIHA) is working on a standard right now. It's called ANSI Z.10, and you can find out about it at either www.aiha.org or at www.ansi.org

The ANSI standard is going to be loosley based on the ILO standard, ILO-OHSMS-2000. It is available on the ILO web page for free.

The above is only for management system stuff. If you are looking for compliance stuff you need to refer to the Washington OSHA site.
Washington Department of Labor and Industries
PO Box 44001
Olympia, Washington 98504-4001

Gary Moore, Director
(360) 902-4200
(360) 902-4202 FAX

Washington State Plan Web Page:

www.lni.wa.gov/wisha/default.htm

J

Jimmy Olson

Thanks Randy. I figured I could count on a reply from you.

I've actually become very familiar with WISHA and their website, and have already downloaded copies of all the rules and regulations. I've been using a lot of their stuff to comprise different components of a safety program.

I've read through the ILO document and have thought I would use that as a guideline for tying everything together. As it is now there are a couple programs in place (sort of), but they are seperate programs. I'm hoping to eventually get a safety program that links everything together.

Now that I've got that pesky ISO thing out of the way, this is my next focus, so I will probably be making this forum more active :vfunny:

Randy

Super Moderator
For grins and giggles you can use the same format as ISO14001. Change aspects to risks and impacts to hazards. Utilize the Job Hazard Analysis methodology prescribed by OSHA. Tie everything together and you should be close.;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Leveraging FDA 510k Clearance for International Registrations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC Seek Contractor for Establishment of a Single International Organization for Accreditation ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
M Class I - International Registrations EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E Packaging Specifications Mercedes-Benz U.S. International IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Informational Publication of Draft Health Canada Implementation Guidance for the International Medical Device Regulators Forum Table of Contents Format Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational RIVM – Summary International Expert Meeting on breast implant-associated lymphoma Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna Medical Device News International exposé of the harm caused by poorly tested medical devices. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
Wes Bucey International Manufacturing Technology Show - 10 September 2018 - Chicago (meet up?) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Sidney Vianna Optimizing Standards for Regulatory Use - International Medical Dev. Regulators Forum Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
qualprod Which standard to follow, local or international? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Referencing International Standards as Design Input Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
N International / Traceable Standards - Procedures for Calipers, Micrometers, Etc. ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B ISO 17100 (Requirements for Translation Services) International Translations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S. Moore Where is a good place to get IMDS (International Material Data System) Training? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Marc IAF (international accreditation forum) - Mandatory Documents (MD Series) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
Marc "Elsmar 90" International Quality Standard anyone? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 33
F Future Plan for IMDS (International Material Data System) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
J International Standards governing Test Method Validations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Determination of IP (International Protection Marking) Rating IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
U ISO 9001 Certification for Highly Distributed International Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Calibration Procedure Traceable to National/International Standards (API Q1 9th Ed) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
M Basic International Standards required for a Manufacturing Industry (Optical Media) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M Differences between international and regional standards (EN, AAMI, CSA...) Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
D International Standards (ISO or MIL) for MTBV Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
automoto International Problem Solving Guide Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
AnaMariaVR2 The International Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Int.) WHO US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
I International Sales Legal/Regulatory Gray Area? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M FDA Acceptance of ISO 13485 Reports from a Recognized International Program Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
I International Accreditation Board of Bristol, UK ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
Jen Kirley This international consultant thing sure is a ride! Career and Occupation Discussions 13
S IATF (International Automotive Task Force) Rules 4th edition changes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P IMDRF (International Medical Devices Regulators Forum)guidance on standalone software Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
jasonb067 Rayong Thailand - Best Hotel and closest international Airport Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
J Domestic and International Medical Device IFU (Instructions for Use) Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
E Are non-SI units International? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S The days before International Standards - Has ISO done what it was supposed to? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D RABQSA International (SUSPENDED) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Icy Mountain Combining ISO9001 and ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Measurement Standards Traceable to International or National Measurement Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B What a mess!!! Nebula Glass International (d.b.a. Glasslam) vs. Wacker Chemicals Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
T International Medical Data Storage Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
H Painting Quality Requirement International Standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D FDA Cease to Manufacture Order in USA and our International Interests 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
T Are there any International Conferences related to ISO/IEC 27000 series standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
A Instructions for Use - Best Practice to meet all International Regulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Y NEBOSH International General Diploma Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
A Plaster of Paris Medical Immobilization Cast - International Standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C International Supplier Audit (ISO9001:2008 + Manufacturing Requirements) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C National/International Standard For Calibration "As Found" Readings General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4