International Standardized Testing Organization (ISTO) Test

T

tschones

Has anyone taken the ISTO test that tests for understanding of ISO 9000:2000? If so, please provide insight on the value of the experience.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
There was a somewhat contentious thread a while back which was lost during the switchover to the upgrade software - for some reason it would not import correctly. Actually there were several which did not import, but there may be a way to get them back through an import of the old database when the software is out of beta. So I guess we get to start over...

My opinion at the time was more of a question - what will you do with it? Secondly, look at the training time - how much will you learn in that time?

My major concern, however, is it is supposed to test your 'understanding' of ISO 9001, but what are lead auditor courses about? There are so many ISO courses and 'tests' that this is just one more.

My question to you: What do you expect to gain from it? You'll probably learn more here reading through these forums.

T

tschones

Thanks for the clarification. I did a search on 'ITSO' and found nothing, which surprised me.

I agree with your point that one will learn much by reading through the forum or attending a lead auditor training course. However, I was looking for an objective measure of one's knowledge of ISO.

Z

zigzag

tschones said:
I did a search on 'ITSO' and found nothing, which surprised me..

It's not ITSO, it's ISTO - see http://www.isto.ch

It is BTW a test of understanding of ISO 9000 as a whole, NOT just ISO 9001 - big difference!

E

energy

Oh Boy

zigzag said:
It's not ITSO, it's ISTO - see http://www.isto.ch

It is BTW a test of understanding of ISO 9000 as a whole, NOT just ISO 9001 - big difference!

Admittedly, I didn't do too good on the sample test provided. Averaged about 60%. I think that some of them a "trick" questions! Nice site, though! :rolleyes:

Z

zigzag

energy said:
Admittedly, I didn't do too good on the sample test provided. Averaged about 60%. :

Don't feel bad.

The majority of ISO 9000 experts who take the test fail it first time. Makes you wonder, eh?

Here's a question (not from an ISTO exam as far as I know) ...

How many International Standards currently make up the ISO 9000 family?

For extra points, name them all ;)

zigzag said:
How many International Standards currently make up the ISO 9000 family?
For extra points, name them all ;)
OK, I'll bite, but only because I had the PDF of the 9000 standard from ASQ open to take the test (I did worse than energy until I read that is was open book).
There are 4:
ISO 9000 fundamentals and terms
ISO 9001 requirements
ISO 9004 guidance for performance improvements
ISO 19001 guidance on auditing quality and environmental systems
(I got the first three without help, but I knew there were 4 and consulted the bible, er, standard).

Z

zigzag

There's 11 - maybe 12 - of the buggers!

Sorry, Big Chief - that is the wrong answer.

Although FOUR is exactly what I would have said until a few days ago when I learned that there are - count 'em - "ELEVEN International Standards currently making up the ISO 9000 family"!!!

In addition to the four you listed, we have

ISO 10006:2003 - project management
ISO 10007:2003 - configuration management
ISO/TR 10012:2003 - measurement management systems
ISO/TR 10013:2001 - QMS documentation
ISO/TR 10014:1998 - quality economics
ISO 10015:1999 - training
ISO/TR 10017:2003 - statistical techniques

Looks like it'll be TWELVE soon if we include:

ISO/DIS 10018 [draft] - guidelines for handling complaints.

See http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre/pressreleases/2003/Ref865.html for the objective evidence.

Get reading, my friends - we have a long way to go! For a mere 294 Swiss francs (only a bit more than $200) you can buy the lot in one handy book or CD.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
The thing is very few people use standards like ISO/TR 10014:1998 - quality economics or ISO 10006:2003 - project management. Do you? What for? Not to mention 4 of those ISO specs listed were released this year.

Can you name ALL the ISO standards that you never have seen, never used, never been asked for advice on, never been asked by a company to address, and never seen referenced??? Now we're playing games.

Maybe the ISTO thingie will be used for something some time but as of now it's of questionable value other than as one more training and 'certification' supplier. They haven't even updated their web site since 2001 other than http://www.isto.ch/index_1.htm. What does that tell us about their professionalism and their value?

At one place they state: "A pass in the ISTO Test of Understanding of ISO 9000:2000 is recognized by IRCA as an acceptable alternative to completion of the IRCA ISO 9000:2000 Series Foundation Training Course". Sounds to me like just another 'alturnative'. I can take a course a company like Excel gives or an ISTO course. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Top Bottom