International Standards

M

Martin

I wondered if anyone could tell me how should handle the following:
We purchase a lot of our material from agents and they don´t tell us from who we are really buying. So the problem is that we can´t proof that our suppliers meet international standards (see point 4.6.1.2.).
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Tom Goetzinger

IMHO, I think the agent is, in fact, your supplier and your qualification and performance standards apply to him. I would suggest a good incoming inspection process, to ensure that the material you get meets the required specifications. This may be something you can ease away from as your "supplier" (agent) proves that he has the controls in place to ensure you always receive appropriate material that meets your specifications. Note that I say "controls in place", rather than historical performance. IMHO, it is critical that you look at his controls, and not just rely on historical performance as proof of his ability to provide what you specify on your order.

[This message has been edited by Tom Goetzinger (edited 15 May 2000).]

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
"4.6.2 – Evaluation of Subcontractors

The supplier shall:

a) evaluate and select subcontractors on the basis of their ability to meet subcontract requirements including the quality system and any specific quality assurance requirements;

b) define the type and extent of control exercised by the supplier over subcontractors. This shall be dependent upon the type of product, the impact of subcontracted product on the quality of final product and, where applicable, on the quality audit reports and/or quality records of the previously demonstrated capability and performance of subcontractors;

c) establish and maintain quality records of acceptable subcontractors (see 4.16).

NOTE: Methods other than an "approved subcontractors list" may be utilized to meet this requirement."

I agree with Tom. Bottom line is your supplier is vouching for the products they sell. Take a car - a Ford. Ford vouches for every part in the car with few exceptions (none that I know of, actually, but I don't want to box myself in here). But if you ask them for proof that the casting used for the disc brake system is ".... to an international specification..." they would have to go out several levels to find out.

If you want the supplier to provide parts 'made to an internaltional spec', you make that spec a purchase order requirement.

Now in some cases your customer may ask for documentation such as PPAP from your suppliers. When that is the case you have to choose a supplier who will cooperate.

Are the suppliers you are referring to distributors?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna Optimizing Standards for Regulatory Use - International Medical Dev. Regulators Forum Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Referencing International Standards as Design Input Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
N International / Traceable Standards - Procedures for Calipers, Micrometers, Etc. ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
J International Standards governing Test Method Validations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Calibration Procedure Traceable to National/International Standards (API Q1 9th Ed) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
M Basic International Standards required for a Manufacturing Industry (Optical Media) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M Differences between international and regional standards (EN, AAMI, CSA...) Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
D International Standards (ISO or MIL) for MTBV Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
S The days before International Standards - Has ISO done what it was supposed to? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Measurement Standards Traceable to International or National Measurement Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Are there any International Conferences related to ISO/IEC 27000 series standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
A Plaster of Paris Medical Immobilization Cast - International Standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sidney Vianna ISO/IEC Guide 63:2012 - Safety Aspects in International Standards for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Sidney Vianna New Collection of International Case Studies proves Economic Benefits of Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Clarifying the many different Medical Device national and international standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
J International standards or guideline for the use of CMM (Cordinate measuring machine) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
A International Standards for Bulb Syringes used to Suction Noses of Newborns? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
Sidney Vianna ISO brochure clarifies distinctions between International Standards and private ones Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
T ISO 9001:2008 7.6 (traceable to international or national measurement standards)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
E RDC 59 - GMP for medical products Brazil versus compatible international standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
A Tracking Revision Status of External Documents - International and American Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
gard2372 International Standards BS/EN/DIN/ISO U.S. Equivalents Matrix Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Where can I buy VDA 4, VDA 6 and other national or international standards? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
J Leveraging FDA 510k Clearance for International Registrations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC Seek Contractor for Establishment of a Single International Organization for Accreditation ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
M Class I - International Registrations EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E Packaging Specifications Mercedes-Benz U.S. International IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Informational Publication of Draft Health Canada Implementation Guidance for the International Medical Device Regulators Forum Table of Contents Format Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational RIVM – Summary International Expert Meeting on breast implant-associated lymphoma Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna Medical Device News International exposé of the harm caused by poorly tested medical devices. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
Wes Bucey International Manufacturing Technology Show - 10 September 2018 - Chicago (meet up?) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
qualprod Which standard to follow, local or international? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B ISO 17100 (Requirements for Translation Services) International Translations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S. Moore Where is a good place to get IMDS (International Material Data System) Training? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Marc IAF (international accreditation forum) - Mandatory Documents (MD Series) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
Marc "Elsmar 90" International Quality Standard anyone? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 33
F Future Plan for IMDS (International Material Data System) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
R Determination of IP (International Protection Marking) Rating IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
U ISO 9001 Certification for Highly Distributed International Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
automoto International Problem Solving Guide Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
AnaMariaVR2 The International Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Int.) WHO US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
I International Sales Legal/Regulatory Gray Area? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M FDA Acceptance of ISO 13485 Reports from a Recognized International Program Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
I International Accreditation Board of Bristol, UK ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
Jen Kirley This international consultant thing sure is a ride! Career and Occupation Discussions 13
S IATF (International Automotive Task Force) Rules 4th edition changes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P IMDRF (International Medical Devices Regulators Forum)guidance on standalone software Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
jasonb067 Rayong Thailand - Best Hotel and closest international Airport Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
J Domestic and International Medical Device IFU (Instructions for Use) Other US Medical Device Regulations 3