Interpretation of 6.3.c - Supporting Services

D

dbulak

supporting services 6.3.c

6.3.c supporting services (such as transport or communication), can someone give me an interpretation of what this means with an example?

C

Craig H.

That is under the "Infrastructure" subheading. Unless transportation is an organization's main business, then the transportation of work-in-process or raw materials would be a supporting service.

In my mind, a supporting service would be something that is non-value added, but still necessary for completion of the main work process. Payroll might be a good example here. It does not directly add value to the product, but try making the product without it.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
See the attached powerpoint file. Slide 9 shows the support processes.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• business_processes_slides.ppt
    573 KB · Views: 912

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Here are a few things that come to mind...

Transport:
• Forklifts
• Pallet jacks
• Trucks
• Conveyors
• AGVs
• Cranes & hoists
• Trucking & shipping services (outsourced processes?)

Keep in mind that 7.5.5 says "The organization shall preserve the conformity of product during internal processing and delivery to the intended destination." I remember a lovely trip I had many years back to a Ford assembly plant in Hermosillo Mexico one August. I got to sort/rework struts with rusty mounts in an asphalt parking lot in 118º heat. The problem was the result of a truck with a leaky roof.

Communication:
• Email
• Fax
• Phone
• EDI & other electronic means of communication with customers

These help to support ISO 9001 communication requirements:

5.5.3 Internal communication
Top management shall ensure that appropriate communication processes are established within the organization and that communication takes place regarding the effectiveness of the quality management system.

7.2.3 Customer communication
The organization shall determine and implement effective arrangements for communicating with customers in relation to
a) product information,
b) enquiries, contracts or order handling, including amendments, and
c) customer feedback, including customer complaints.

Top Bottom