Interpretation of Article 16 (2b) - Packaging, samples and Certificate

Hi,

Does anyone have an idea how to interpret Art. 16?

1) Regarding Art. 16 (2b): What packaging is meant here? Outer packaging seems clear to us. What is meant by "including a change of pack size"? If we sell a package consisting of 6 pieces, can we change the pack size to maybe 2 x 3 pieces? Or even sell single pieces (e.g. for demo purposes)? What about the DoC? As far as I know, it only refers to the package of 6 pieces. Doesn't it become invalid as soon as I split the content? What about labelling requirements if I was allowed to split (apart from requirements in Art. 16 (3))? So to sum up, what would be a real use case for Art. 16 (2b)? Does it rather mean that if the manufacturer sends us 10 x sets of 6 pieces, we are allowed to separate the sets but without splitting each set. So we can sell the single sets instead of 10 at the same time...

2) Regarding Art. 16 (4): How often do we have to inform/provide samples to the manufacturer and CA? Assumed "making available" means any supply of a device for consumption, doesn't that imply that it means every selling activity? So do we have to inform them once and can have repeated selling of the same "modification" of the pack size or do we have to inform them of every sale?

3) Regarding Art. 16 (4): What certificate is required ("[...] certificate issued by a notified body designated for the type of devices that are subject to activities [...]")? Is an ISO 13485 certificate sufficient? Is any additional specific wording on existing certificate required? Is any separate (MDR?) certificate required? So which type of notified body is required and what notification should it have?

Hope you can help us...all guidance we found so far does not go down to that detail.

Thanks in advance.

Asuka

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
What is your rationale supporting that the repackaging is necessary in order to market the device in the relevant Member State?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Our customers do not want to buy 6 at a time but only 3 or sometimes only even 1.
In my opinion this is a weak argument in the current context. It is a sales argument that (apparently) has nothing to do with any specific Member State. I'm not sure that you can utilise Article 16 2b.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
First of all, s. 2 of Article 16 is (in its entirety) an exception to s. 1c, that covers a situation where an entity other than the Manufacturer modifies the device; i.e. s. 2 - where it applies - exempts from full assumption of Manufacturers' obligations in some circumstances where the device is modified (in general, and unless otherwise specified, the packaging is considered part of the device).

S. 2a relates to provision of information, including translation and Member State-specific additional information. It seems less relevant to your situation.

My take on s. 2b is that a change in packaging is exempt in situations where labelling on the outer packaging is necessary in the local language - either due to explicit Member State legislation or due to practical considerations. More generally, there might be other (non-labelling) local legal requirements that might necessitate outer packaging changes, and these might include limitations regarding pack size. This is only my private interpretation - I wasn't involved in the development of the MDR, I don't know what the authors motives actually were and I'm reading the MDR just like you. One thing I'm quite certain about - the justification has to somehow relate to specific Member states. It can't be generic.

Maybe s. 37 of the MDR's preamble can shed some light on this (if one has the legal background or the diligence to fully study the context :)):
Parallel trade in products already placed on the market is a lawful form of trade within the internal market on the basis of Article 34 TFEU subject to the limitations arising from the need for protection of health and safety and from the need for protection of intellectual property rights provided for under Article 36 TFEU. Application of the principle of parallel trade is, however, subject to different interpretations in the Member States. The conditions, in particular the requirements for relabelling and repackaging, should therefore be specified in this Regulation, taking into account the case-law of the Court of Justice (1) in other relevant sectors and existing good practice in the field of medical devices.
Footnote (1):
Judgment of 28 July 2011 in Orifarm and Paranova, joined cases C‑400/09 and C‑207/10, ECLI:EU:C:2011:519.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. This seems logical to me as well. So, for my first question maybe this is already the answer. We are just not allowed to change the pack size only because we (or our customers) want it. Just in case of a regulatory need by the relevant Member State we might do that.

But what about my other 2 questions. Does anyone have more detailed information on that topic?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Interpretation of MDR 2017/745 Article 23 - CE Mark Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Informational MDCG 2019-3 Interpretation of Article 54(2)b – Pre- market clinical evaluation consultation procedure with the involvement of expert panels Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I Interpretation of MDD 93/42/EEC Article 11, Item 2 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P MDR Rule 10 interpretation - Active Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
A OHSAS 18001 external auditor finding personal interpretation? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
A OEM branding - My interpretation of the LVD Directive makes us a manufacturer CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Average Peel Strength - Interpretation of BS EN 868-5:2018 and ASTM F0088/F0088M Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B ISO 50001 Interpretation of section 3.3.9 (Outsourcing) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Interpretation of significant change - material change Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
R MDR Software Rule 11 Formal Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A IATF Sanctioned Interpretation No. 7 - Type and Extent of Control (supplemental) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
U Hand-Held dosing device has no PATIENT - Interpretation of the PATIENT definition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
G Medical Device "Immediate Container" Interpretation of Definition US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D EU MDR Corrigendum Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G EU MDR 2017/745 Rule 11 interpretation - Re-classification of a Software as Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
JoshuaFroud Interpretation of Clause 5.5.2 in ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q P x I = Value interpretation for residual risk? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T CSA Z299.3-85 Nuclear interpretation AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D VDA Trigger Matrix in the VDA 6.2 Manual - Interpretation and Use VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
B Interpretation of Customer Specific Requirements of Continental - Records Retention Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
S Interpretation or Definition of ‘Once Every 5 Days’ ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N What is the interpretation I-MR-R chart in this question? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
E ME (Medical Equipment) Systems - IEC 60601-1 Clause 16.1 Interpretation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
P IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 "Calibration/Verification Records" Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
B Clarification on interpretation of some EN ISO 14971:2012 & IEC 62304:2006 req's ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 46
M IATF 16949 - 7.1.3.1 Plant, Facility, and Equipment Planning - Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R Location Interpretation on Drawing - Hole to Hole? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T TS 16949 Clause 7.4.1.2 and Sanctioned Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
D Interpretation of new IAQG ruling - Audit duration for nonconformance verification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
K Interpretation of IEC 60601-1-2 Electromagnetic Compatibility – Requirements & tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Heat Treatment - Soaking time interpretation Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D Interpretation of DOE interaction plot Using Minitab Software 8
A Training material for interpretation & understanding Part 11 requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
L Interpretation of "Any or All"'? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 10
G Interpretation of phrase - "Direct Authority" EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
pittmatj Brazil: Interpretation of RDC 185 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
D What is your understanding or interpretation of TS16949 7.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Interpretation of Plus/Minus Draft - Injection Molded Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
E FDA Significant Change Interpretation - Guidance Document EU Medical Device Regulations 2
0 ISO 9001:2008 interpretation not the same per country? (Netherlands and France) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Multiple Standard Interpretation Queries Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
A Need MSA %GRR Interpretation Advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P EU Conflict Minerals Regulation Interpretation RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
S AS9102 Interpretation on Form 2 field 6 - Specification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
A Coke Reactivity Index (CRI) Testing Code Interpretation: ASTM D5341-99 (2004) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
P Internal Audit Reports reviewed by management? 21 CFR 820.22 Interpretation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Annex ZA of ISO 14971:2012 - Deviation 7 - Incorrect Interpretation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10