SBS - The best value in QMS software

Interpretation of Clause 5.5.2 in ISO 13485:2016

JoshuaFroud

Involved In Discussions
Hello all

I am currently in the process of transitioning from 2003/2012 to 2016. I have a gap analysis in place that I presented to management and there is a slight disagreement as to the actual requirements of clause 5.5.2.

It is the final sentence in the clause that is causing contention, point C. Which without directly quoting the standard says "The Management Rep will promote awareness of the regulatory and QMS requirements throughout the organisation".

The feeling from management is that our current Training system of assigning relevant procedures to the different roles/employees within the organisation is sufficient to cover this requirement.

My feeling is that this is pushing for something a little more, but during the discussion, I was unable to articulate exactly what that was.

Please, can I have some input as to how others have interpreted this clause and how you have met the requirements?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
I think it's easier to understand the few "awareness" requirements if you look at another requirement, the one in 6.2.2 that says: "d) ensure that its personnel are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives".

I usually use one anecdote as a basis for this requirement (and I do not remember where it com from):

Imagine 3 stone breakers, ask each one "what are you doing?"
1 - breaking stone - he has no vision beyond the task and therefore does not understand the impact of his work
2 - making a window - sees beyond the task but not where the output fits into the overall context
3 - building a cathedral - he sees himself as part of the process and has a vision of what he is trying to achieve that will influence what he does

In particular, number 3 is the most aware of the relevance and importance of this activities to achieve objective, and thus, more able to contribute (for example, he may note that the stone he is breaking may not be ideal for building a cathedral and would alert his superiors, where 1 and 2 would not understand this).

The idea is the same for the "promote awareness" requirement of the MR, which is to make sure everyone is aware of the regulatory and QMS requirements.

One easy way to verify if this is being done is to ask random employees how they would act in certain simulated situations.

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
Marcus,
I share that vision completely, however I have worked for organizations in the past that treat warehouse workers (for example) as two hands and a heart beat that should have limited knowledge as to what's in the boxes they ship (and even justify it by viewing their importance to the process as being too stressful on them). Personally, I saw that as an impediment to good customer service at the very least and a detriment to the organization.

Fortunately, my current employer has employees with experience in higher level quality control that transfers to our organization and corporate culture.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Interpretation of ISO 9001 Clause 7.2.1 Development Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L ISO 10012:2003 - Interpretation of Managment Responsibility clause Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
L Process Measurement - ISO 9001:2008 Clause 8.2.3 - Whats your Interpretation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G Definition Interpretation of ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.2 - Purchasing Information Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 15
G Definition Evidence of Conformity - Interpretation of ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.4 (data - yes or no?) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
R Interpretation of ISO 13485 Clause 8.4 - Analysis of Data ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
J Management Representative Requirements - ISO 9k2k Clause 5.5.2a interpretation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
E ME (Medical Equipment) Systems - IEC 60601-1 Clause 16.1 Interpretation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
T TS 16949 Clause 7.4.1.2 and Sanctioned Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Q Interpretation of Clause 7.1 Planning Of Product Realization in AS9100C standard AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Interpretation of TS 16949 Clause 7.4.3.2 Supplier Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Outsourcing - Type of Control - Request for Interpretation on Clause 4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Z Don't quite understand interpretation of ISO17025: 2005 clause 1.4 and 1.2 ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
B Interpretation of Clause 7.6 in the Education Field (IWA 2) Service Industry Specific Topics 7
B Customer Documents - TS 16949:2002 Clause 7.2.3.1 Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Interpretation of AS9100 Clause 8.2.4.1.d Inspection Documentation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
J What's your interpretation of Clause 7.6 - Calibration 'Interval'? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
W Interpretation of Production Planning per AS9100 CLAUSE 7.5.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Main Elements of an EMS - ISO14001 Clause 4.4.4 c) Auditor Interpretation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 20
D Interpretation for supplier development clause 7.4.1.2? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
M Interpretation of the term "SAFEGUARDED" - ISO9001:2000 Clause 7.6 (d) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Customer's Interpretation vs. TS16949 clause 7.4.1.2 Supplier Development Requirement Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 70
A QS-9000 Clause 4.6.2.1 and Interpretation C9 - Subcontractor Development QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 41
D Preventive Maintenance Interpretation - Clause 4.9.g.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
Q Contingency plan - IATF Sanctioned Interpretation 17 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
U MDD Article 12/ MDr Article 22 interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R MDR, Annex I, 23.1 Interpretation - IFU on the website EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M MDR Article 22 Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Interpretation of the MDR GSPR 23.4 (u) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P MDR Rule 10 interpretation - Active Device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
A OHSAS 18001 external auditor finding personal interpretation? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
A OEM branding - My interpretation of the LVD Directive makes us a manufacturer CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Average Peel Strength - Interpretation of BS EN 868-5:2018 and ASTM F0088/F0088M Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B ISO 50001 Interpretation of section 3.3.9 (Outsourcing) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Interpretation of significant change - material change Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
R MDR Software Rule 11 Formal Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A IATF Sanctioned Interpretation No. 7 - Type and Extent of Control (supplemental) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F Interpretation of MDR 2017/745 Article 23 - CE Mark Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
U Hand-Held dosing device has no PATIENT - Interpretation of the PATIENT definition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
G Medical Device "Immediate Container" Interpretation of Definition US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Interpretation of Article 16 (2b) - Packaging, samples and Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 10
D EU MDR Corrigendum Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational MDCG 2019-3 Interpretation of Article 54(2)b – Pre- market clinical evaluation consultation procedure with the involvement of expert panels Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G EU MDR 2017/745 Rule 11 interpretation - Re-classification of a Software as Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
qualprod P x I = Value interpretation for residual risk? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T CSA Z299.3-85 Nuclear interpretation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2