Interpreting clause 4.1.5 in ISO 13485:2016

SteveK

Trusted Information Resource
“When the organization chooses to outsource any process that affects product conformity to requirements, it shall monitor and ensure control over such processes.”

Now I can see that sending an item to be e.g. anodized by an external company is an example of outsourcing a process. However, in this context does “process” also mean using an external company to supply moulded parts, machined components, PCBs etc .to your design for assembly into the final device at your production site? By answering my own question – I assume it does. It is just that now the requirement of this clause is to obtain written supplier agreements. In our case we have enough problems getting supplier quality questionnaires returned as part of our vendor approval process (no problems with major ones) – noting that we have hundreds of suppliers! Can anyone confirm my assumption?

Steve

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pads38

I don't think that this necessarily applies to ordinary 'Parts Suppliers'. Anyway, you can maintain quality control simply by inspection of the supplied parts, or the quality of the anodising.

Rather, I think this is more related to out-sourcing design and all manufacturing to third parties. The named 'manufacturer' must have full control of all critical aspects and not just be "putting their sticker" on a box.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
I'm not in the medical field but it would seem to me things like getting a simple C of C from the supplier, supplier audits, checking on supplier certifications (i.e. NADCAP), doing sampling inspection on incoming items, and those questionnaires you mention are all relatively common methods of complying with that clause.

rob73

looking for answers
I would agree with pads that this is how we would like it, but thinking about pip scandal, what if your supplier swapped your expensive medical grade HDPE for a knock-off 50% recycled material to improve his profit margin. Would you be able to tell the difference? for an invasive device this would have a massive impact on conformity, telling the auditor "we've worked with then for many years and trust them" may not pull any weight.
Does anyone know if there is going to be an update TS14969 for 2016??

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
“When the organization chooses to outsource any process that affects product conformity to requirements, it shall monitor and ensure control over such processes.”

Now I can see that sending an item to be e.g. anodized by an external company is an example of outsourcing a process. However, in this context does “process” also mean using an external company to supply moulded parts, machined components, PCBs etc .to your design for assembly into the final device at your production site? By answering my own question – I assume it does. It is just that now the requirement of this clause is to obtain written supplier agreements. In our case we have enough problems getting supplier quality questionnaires returned as part of our vendor approval process (no problems with major ones) – noting that we have hundreds of suppliers! Can anyone confirm my assumption?

Steve
Don't forget the rest of the story:

The controls shall be proportionate to the risk involved and the ability of the external party to meet the requirements...

(I'm trying to come up with an Obi-Wan type line of "Steve, use the risk" but it's just not working :) ). A statement of work or purchase order could certainly serve as written quality agreement (if you include quality requirements). Questionnaires certainly aren't required.

Access2hc

Involved In Discussions
hi - it means as far as possible to have written down an agreement of the mutual expectations and requirements.

it's good business sense - how can you not have an agreement/contract when you outsource anything that can affect the product or the QMS?

the current version just stated the need for written agreement so that there's no disagreement or ambiguity down the track.

Cheers,
Ee Bin

bjohnsonrli

Starting to get Involved
Hi Steve,

It looks like ISO has taken what was a "thou should" to a "thou shall" type of situation. Adding a quality agreement requirement brings the standard in line with EU GMPs and with the guidelines FDA has accepted.

Quality agreements have been a requirement by the FDA....

21 CFR 820.50 Purchasing Controls
"...Purchasing documents shall include, where possible, an agreement that the suppliers, contractors, and consultants agree to notify the manufacturer of changes in the product or service so that manufacturers may determine whether the changes may affect the quality of a finished device..."

Chapter 7 of the EU GMPs talks about Outsourced Activities and requires a quality agreement to define the responsibilities of the "contract giver" and "contract acceptor."

I agree with you about the difficulty in getting simple signed documents back from suppliers. However, we have taken the approach to have agreements in place with vendors of "critical" materials (or processes) and ones who supply large quantities of raw material. The rest are categorized as "miscellaneous" so that we aren't wasting time trying to get the janitorial company to sign an agreement. We put all this in our supplier evaluation procedure and perform audits accordingly (Periodic onsite audits, incoming quality controls, on going reliability testing, process change approval, etc.).

SteveK

Steve, in my interpretation, it doesn't. What you are describing is not outsourcing of a quality-impacting process, but simple procurement of parts, covered under section 7.4 of ISO 13485:2016.
Hi Sidney,

Thanks for that - the more I have been looking at the definition of a 'process" wrt clause 4.1.5, I do think that you are right and that my initial assumption was wrong. It is just that in trying to out-think an auditor's and NB's possible interpretation of such clauses that I keep potentially heading down a black hole!

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Interpreting Product Realization (Clause 7) in ISO 9001:2008 for Service Industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Interpreting Responsibility and Authority Clause 5.5.1 ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
P Interpreting the Process Gap - Open Non-Conformances & ISO Clause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 28
J Interpreting clause 7.5.2.1 (validation of software used in production & service) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
X TL9000 Clause 7.1.C.3 - Interpreting the Disaster Recovery clause TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 2
E Product Realization - Interpreting Clause 7 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Tooling & Equipment Supplement - Interpreting clause 4.4.2.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
L Contract Review - Interpreting the intent of Contract Review - Open POs - Clause 4.3 Contract Review Process 16
Q Interpreting China Medical Device regulations/standards China Medical Device Regulations 1
P ISO 80369-7 standard - Interpreting which Parts should be in scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
K PACS - interpreting MDD and Borderline Guidance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M List of Packaging Contents - Medical Devices - Interpreting EU Directive 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Interpreting Normal vs Weibull Capabilities Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
P Interpreting Span Measurement - P95-P5 Six Sigma 1
B Interpreting Deviations 5 & 6 in Annex ZA in ISO 14971:2012 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
B Interpreting "misuse" when assessing Hazardous Situations ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Interpreting Process Controls - 21 CFR Part 820.70(a) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Help interpreting 21 CFR Part 806 (corrections and removals) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
G Interpreting Type 1 MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Help interpreting MIL-STD-105E Single Sampling Plans Tables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Biocompatibility in Respiratory Products - Help interpreting whitepaper IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 22
V GD&T Interpreting Datums in Two Single Segmented Position Tolerances Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Interpreting X bar and R Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
B Help with interpreting stock market terminologies Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
V Interpreting Zinc Plating Specification GMW 3044 - 6K96/48 APQP and PPAP 2
K Interpreting and Applying 7.3.2 Design and Development Inputs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Interpreting the Calibration Report for my Dial Indicator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Interpreting Process Capability results and ratios Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
B Length Measure - Interpreting Calibration Results and Measurement Uncertainty (MU) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
S Interpreting Level of Confidence - Round Robin for Tensile Testing - Help needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Interpreting my t test in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
S Interpreting Linear Regression Results from Minitab Using Minitab Software 15
optomist1 Interpreting LMC for Pattern of Slots (GD&T) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
optomist1 Interpreting Minitab Test For Equal Variances Using Minitab Software 3
V Interpreting Minitab Gauge R&R Results Using Minitab Software 6
A ISO 2081 - Interpreting Coating Thickness Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
L Interpreting Injection Molding Tooling Documents - Cavities Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Interpreting Gage R&R Results - 3 operators, 3 iterations and 10 parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Interpreting Measurement Uncertainty for Temperature PRT probes Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
N Interpreting Hygrometer Calibration Uncertainty - Temperature Coefficient Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
mr500 Interpreting Decimals in the mm state - Off Wall Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
E Interpreting Partial Least Square Results Using Minitab Software 1
C Interpreting Outside Laboratory Calibration Certificate Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
M Interpreting MIL-PRF-19500 (Performance Spec, Semicon Dev) - What is LTPD of 20 - ??? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Rules for interpreting control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
H Interpreting 'Evaluation of compliance' in ISO 14001 Internal Auditing 4
P Micrometer Gage R&R study - Interpreting the data and suggestions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
W Interpreting a Normal Probability Plot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Wes Bucey "Downsizing" ramifications - Evaluating and Interpreting the News World News 0