Interrupted Sleep Might Be the Best Kind

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
From Slashdot:

The BBC reports that a growing body of evidence from both science and history suggests that eight-hours of uninterrupted sleep may be unnatural as a wealth of historical evidence reveals that humans used to sleep in two distinct chunks called first and second sleep. A book by historian Roger Ekirch, At Day's Close: Night in Times Past, unearths more than 500 references to a segmented sleeping pattern — in diaries, court records, medical books and literature, from Homer's Odyssey to an anthropological account of modern tribes in Nigeria. 'It's not just the number of references — it is the way they refer to it, as if it was common knowledge,' says Ekirch. References to the first and second sleep started to disappear during the late 17th Century with improvements in street lighting, domestic lighting and a surge in coffee houses — which were sometimes open all night. Today most people seem to have adapted quite well to the eight-hour sleep, but Ekirch believes many sleeping problems may have roots in the human body's natural preference for segmented sleep which could be the root of a condition called sleep maintenance insomnia, where people wake during the night and have trouble getting back to sleep. 'Our pattern of consolidated sleep has been a relatively recent development, another product of the industrial age, while segmented sleep was long the natural form of our slumber, having a provenance as old as humankind,' says Ekrich, adding that we may 'choose to emulate our ancestors, for whom the dead of night, rather than being a source of dread, often afforded a welcome refuge from the regimen of daily life.'

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
More likely, it has to do with age, whether or not there is a bed partner, and one other little thing I learned in Boy Scouts nearly 60 years ago - something called the "Indian Alarm Clock" which entailed drinking a lot of fluid before going to sleep, guaranteeing either early wake up or damp sleeping spot.:notme:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I've always been a "two part" sleeper going back to childhood. It drove my mother nuts (long story there...). Many days I did (and still do) take 3 sleep periods a day, usually each is 2 to 3 hours. Five hours is a long sleep period to me and has been as far back as I can remember. On the other hand, if I'm busy I can, or used to be able to, easily go for 24+ hours before I really started getting tired. And I never have been able to sleep on an airplane or in a car, even on long flights to places in Asia or Africa (to cite the longest flights I've taken over the years). I have taken Valium in the past on a few long flights which "sorta" worked.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Standards Data Forms (form 3654) - American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
AnaMariaVR2 Nonviolent videos better for preschoolers' sleep World News 1
optomist1 Design Exclusion, but now we might have an outsourced Product Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Correlation between 2 Variables - Potential X's that might affect yield percentage Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
K FREE online resource that might give me an SPC refresher wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
Hershal You might laugh if..... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
D FDA 21 CFR 820 - Manual we might use as a template or where to start 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
Tom W ASQ CQE Recertification - I might be a little short on points - What to do? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
B Tips on Technical Things the Auditors might ask during an Audit General Auditing Discussions 15
E FIRST Kiss - I's your first kiss and several questions might come to mind Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
B Some things that might only work on Thanksgiving Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
K Where might I find the ISO 9001:2000 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Modifying the Quality Manual - How Might This Affect our Audit? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
Raffy Internal Audit - Covering all relevant areas - What areas might NOT be relevant? Internal Auditing 6
Top Bottom