Introduce Continual Improvement in a Mining Equipment Service Company ? HOW?

L

lenard6027

Introduce Continual Improvement in a Mining Equipment Service Company – HOW?

Hi Everybody

I am Len And I work for a company that supply machines to mining companies, yes underground equipment.
In our company we have service contracts that maintain these machines, and with the labour problems the skill level is very low. I started the new role as continuous improvement manager, and not to sure where to begin with this new position, i did work my life in the technical side.

And i am looking for help, with this please. dont know what will the right path to start with.

Thanks
Len

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Hi i am new

Hi Everybody

I am Len And I work for a company that supply machines to mining companies, yes underground equipment.
In our company we have service contracts that maintain these machines, and with the labour problems the skill level is very low. I started the new role as continuous improvement manager, and not to sure where to begin with this new position, i did work my life in the technical side.

And i am looking for help, with this please. dont know what will the right path to start with.

Thanks
Len
I’m going to make a copy of lenard6027 ‘s post and start a new thread for him in the Forum
Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis
Titled
Introduce Continual Improvement in a mining equipment service company – HOW?
As always, we suggest folks (new and old to the Cove) read through the thread entitled

How To Ask A Question or Start a Conversation by Starting a New Thread in a Forum
and don’t hesitate to click on a Forum moderator’s name (found in the far right column with the list of Forums on the main index page http://elsmar.com/Forums/index.php ) to ask for help in figuring out a good title for your thread which will attract attention and responses. Often, Moderators will unilaterally change titles or move threads to a different Forum in an effort to help the original poster attract more meaningful comments.

Last edited:

harry

Super Moderator
Re: Hi i am new

Welcome Len,

For a start could you attach a process map or flowchart that summarizes your operations so that fellow Covers can have an idea of what you do and how you operate and hence offer relevant advice.

S

S Johnson

Re: Introduce Continual Improvement in a Mining Equipment Service Company – HOW?

What you are asking is not a simple question to answer. Starting something from scratch will take a lot of dedication and hard work. Your best bet is to read some books and go to some training courses. I would suggest reading up on Six Sigma and Lean (also called Toyota Production System). Your library should have a lot of info to get you started. You don't state in your email your level of experperience with these methodologies so I am guessing you have little experience with them. Good luck! There's a lot of great stuff out there. Just dig into some books. The folks here on the Cove can help clarify concepts when you need guidance.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Introduce Continual Improvement in a Mining Equipment Service Company – HOW?

I started the new role as continuous improvement manager, and not to sure where to begin with this new position, i did work my life in the technical side.

What are the main reasons for customer dissatisfaction? Equipment downtime? Spare part shortages? Equipment MTBF too low? Equipment not robust enough? Unsafe equipment? All of the above?
Once you identify the main customer dissatisfaction sources, use tools, such a fish bone diagram to identify possible problem causes and eliminate, reduce and/or mitigate problems. For example, if a component breaks down too often and re-engineering it is not possible, make sure your inventory keeps a healthy surplus so your customers don't experience extra down time awaiting for parts to be flown in...

:2cents:

Randy

Super Moderator

What are the main reasons for customer dissatisfaction? Equipment downtime? Spare part shortages? Equipment MTBF too low? Equipment not robust enough? Unsafe equipment? All of the above?
Once you identify the main customer dissatisfaction sources, use tools, such a fish bone diagram to identify possible problem causes and eliminate, reduce and/or mitigate problems. For example, if a component breaks down too often and re-engineering it is not possible, make sure your inventory keeps a healthy surplus so your customers don't experience extra down time awaiting for parts to be flown in...

:2cents:

:topic:Oh my gosh:mg:, a mining expert we might have here!

Seeing that I have actually been to a mine or two or twelve and I am a journeyman type mechanic with actual hands on experience getting dirty I'll jump in....

Now to the actual subject which appears to be someone starting a new job with not much experience and mechanical competency or the lack thereof with employees and not customer satisfaction.

Lenard! Have you guys figured out the cause of low skill levels?

Is it the lack of actual skill or the lack of people with the skills necessary to keep the equipment up?

Are the skills in question general mechanical/electrical or more advanced journeyman type to include troubleshooting and diagnosis?

Are the problems encountered with equipment due to lack of PM or because of abrupt failure due to the stresses of mining operations themselves?

Are your problems purely labor related or are there issues with repair parts and testing equipment?

Are there "real" PM programs on equipment or do your customers wait until equipment failure occurs and then want the stuff fixed yesterday?

It'll take answers to questions to help with solutions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational US FDA – URGENT/11 Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities in a Widely-Used Third-Party Software Component May Introduce Risks During Use of Certain Medical Dev Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L How to Introduce the Quality Function to the production floor in a bad environment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
M Can an Auditor introduce a Consultant to help fix NCs after the audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
S How to introduce new employees to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
T Regulatory Compliance SOP - What a company has to do to introduce a Medical Device Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Marc New Folks - Please Take a Minute & Introduce Yourself/Say Hello! (8/2010 to TBD) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1625
C Need a Creative Way to Introduce our Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
C Sales Letter template to introduce ISO9001:2008 to Clients ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q How to Introduce a Quality Management System to Engineers? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
M Advice on how to introduce Overall Equipment Effectiveness - Machining Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
G My first ASQ cert test - Why I want to introduce myself Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
P Introduce a new auditor to the system? General Auditing Discussions 21
T At what stage in a company's life can you introduce Lean Manufacturing Principles Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
C Asked to introduce a Blades (Knives) policy into the company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
S Starting ISO 13485:2003 Registration - Introduce Myself ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Introduce Statistical Thinking before introducing the equations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 17
G New Folks - Please Take a Minute & Introduce Yourself/Say Hello! (2009 - 8/2010) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 573
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Sidney Vianna Continual decline of ASQ - can it be saved? Nov 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 20
B Four Key Performance Indicators for Continual Improvement (Dec. 3 2019) [Deleted] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
A A Question about Continual improvement process in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B Ranking Continual Improvement Projects Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
J Understanding ISO 9001:2015 - 10.3 Continual Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P CA,PA, Continual Improvement - How to start in a Service Company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Marc How will "continual improvement" be audited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Internal Audit Question - 8.5.1 Continual Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
M Continual Improvement Procedure - Please review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Why ISO 9001:2015 Committee Draft (CD) delete Continual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Document Control vs Continual Improvement Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
C Continual Improvement in the context of ISO 22000:2005 Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
Q Process Approach & Continual Improvement Clauses and Evidence of its Effective Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Continual Improvement vs. Ineffective Actions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Definition Continual Improvement vs. Kaizen - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
O Capability Study on Continual Arbitrary Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
Icy Mountain Continual Improvement, Preventive Action and Corrective Action Database Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 23
T TS 16949 Continual Improvement Requirements vs. QS-9000 Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
somashekar Environmental and OH&S Management Continual Improvement Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
V Continual Improvement of the Organization - TS 16949 Clause 8.5.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S Continual (Continuous) Improvement - Different Standards, different requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
I Process Improvement/Continual Improvement "Idea Stage-gate" process? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
N Continual Improvement Tools Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
R Definition Continuous Improvement and Continual Improvement - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 21
A Clause 8.5 Continual Improvement - What is intended by the standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Quality Policy - Need to include "Customer Satisfaction & Continual Improvement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
somashekar Temperature Cycling Process - Continual Improvement and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Continual Improvement & KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) - ISO 14001 REACH and RoHS Conversations 23
V Gearing up GMP based systems for continual improvement. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Anerol C What can I show as evidence of Continual (Continuous) Improvement? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 81