SBS - The best value in QMS software

Introducing a Balance Line - Identifying potential future pitfalls etc.

8ball

hi all,

Looking for some guidance, help, identifying potential future pitfalls etc.

i think the first thing to say is what we have achieved so far. i along with 2 other collegues were given the task of making a non profitable assembly cell efficient, productive and profitable.

Currently 42 hours of attended labour goes into manufacturing and assembling (lets call them 'shanks' as im not sure if my company would like me publishing this material) shanks :). Within this 42 hours are a large amount of waste and other issues. Our target is 22. They work in cells and the people move around the cell like bees round honey.

So first of all we went on the shop floor and conducted 'Production Time Studies' to understand currently 'where we are' and identify any potential issues that could be improved. It became apparent early on that a production line would be best suited to this time of product.

Takt Time as been calculated at 2.20 hours. We have set a 2hour takt and using the .2 of an hour to move the product on from one op to another. (The 'Shanks' are a very large product)

We have put in numerous improvements to reduce the times per operation to somewhere near the takt.

i feel we are a week away from priming the line and watch what happens and balance the line where appropriate, along with further improvements if required.

From this point on what potential issues am i likely to face, is there a structured way to introduce the line balancing ie start with a larger takt to begin with etc.

ANy more info just ask

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

AdamP

Re: Introducing a balance line

We have put in numerous improvements to reduce the times per operation to somewhere near the takt.

i feel we are a week away from priming the line and watch what happens and balance the line where appropriate, along with further improvements if required.

From this point on what potential issues am i likely to face, is there a structured way to introduce the line balancing ie start with a larger takt to begin with etc.
Hello 8Ball!

I can relate to your challenge and hopefully can help a bit.

First, I think you're taking to right approach by introducing things and being open to 'editing' as is needed along the way.

Since 'takt time' is the available time divided by the customer demand (usually available daily time divided by average daily demand or a similar calc.) to get you to your 2.2 hours per piece. Assuming your customer demand remains the same, unless you add more available time (another shift?), your takt time will remain the same. So your opportunity is in reducing the cycle time of each activity to meet the takt so demand is met and the operation can flow smoothly.

It sounds like you and your team have already reduced some of the waste which is great. Have you broken the process down into a sequence, or better yet, a map? Or have you assessed each step or activity as 'value add' or 'non-value add' to identify those activities to get rid of before you redistribute work in an attempt to balance the work? Going through those steps should help with further cycle time reduction.

Another quick place to look for help is with your material usage. Are you making changes to have consumables or other materials at 'point of use' to reduce the time for having to go get it?

A last little bit - on your question of what to expect once you introduce the (roughly)balanced line: You can leverage the people working in the line/cell to identify improvements or 'kaizens' and by having them make the improvements, you might ge them interested in making more improvements to make the cycle times even better - so do this with them, not to them. :)

Cheers,

Adam

8ball

Re: Introducing a balance line

Hello 8Ball!

I can relate to your challenge and hopefully can help a bit.

First, I think you're taking to right approach by introducing things and being open to 'editing' as is needed along the way.

Since 'takt time' is the available time divided by the customer demand (usually available daily time divided by average daily demand or a similar calc.) to get you to your 2.2 hours per piece. Assuming your customer demand remains the same, unless you add more available time (another shift?), your takt time will remain the same. So your opportunity is in reducing the cycle time of each activity to meet the takt so demand is met and the operation can flow smoothly.

It sounds like you and your team have already reduced some of the waste which is great. Have you broken the process down into a sequence, or better yet, a map? Or have you assessed each step or activity as 'value add' or 'non-value add' to identify those activities to get rid of before you redistribute work in an attempt to balance the work? Going through those steps should help with further cycle time reduction.

Another quick place to look for help is with your material usage. Are you making changes to have consumables or other materials at 'point of use' to reduce the time for having to go get it?

A last little bit - on your question of what to expect once you introduce the (roughly)balanced line: You can leverage the people working in the line/cell to identify improvements or 'kaizens' and by having them make the improvements, you might ge them interested in making more improvements to make the cycle times even better - so do this with them, not to them. :)

Cheers,

Adam

Thanks for the reply Adam.

In answer to your questions or statements above we ve done everything that youve stated.

Cycle times are now achievable exept one but we have spare capacity in other operations to help out.

The biggest issue, infact massive, is people.

We ve had to take people off nights in order to man the line correctly and start implementing this slowly. The thing we ve obviously hit people in the pocket and to be fully truthful they dont understand why we're doing it. They are working slow and have shown instances of ill discipline. It seems they literally ditest us. We ve had no confrontations or anything like that, some just want their night shift back.

This is something that me and the team i work with need to understand and make sure doesnt happen again. When we initially did the time studies and understood that it would be benefical to introduce line balancing and working to takt, we should of trained them in 6s and line balancing and complete a factory simulation of batch processing vs single piece flow. I knew from this is what should of been done but wasnt backed due to production requirements. Would this of got rid of the people issues that we currently have? most probably not but at least they would understand why we are doing it.

so the next step for us is to implement this and see what happens.

Personally i can see half of the cell team either leaving or being relocated and to be honest i believe this would have to happen in order for the line to be a success.

8 :D

anymore advice will be much appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Rules associated with introducing new QMS processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Introducing an existing product into automotive context - DFMEA needed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Introducing a new peripheral for cleared device - Is Validation required? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
I Introducing Titanium into Aerospace manufacturing Service Industry Specific Topics 4
P Introducing MSA in a Biomedical Company Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Ford is introducing an Aluminum F-150 Pick 'em Up Truck World News 1
Q Introducing Process based approach on Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Introducing ISO 9001:2008 in a Concrete and Construction Material Laboratory ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Introducing New Employees Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
J Introducing a new Product Variant - ECO Process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Introducing New Employees to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Introducing Individual Chart to Accountants Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
J Introducing a risk/impact assessment to nonconformity procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
C Examples of successful 5S projects - Introducing 5S on the shopfloor and the offices Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
T Introduce Statistical Thinking before introducing the equations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 17
E French Intro to Quality - Introducing ISO 9001 to New Employees Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
S Tolerance limits for micro balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Tolerance when verifying an analytical balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T MSE for dynamic balance measurement? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B FDA Philippines has no check or balance outside the health department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
R Fixing of tolerance limit - Electronic weighing balance with the capacity of 150 Kgs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Establishment of Acceptance Criteria for a Weigh Balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Applying Combined Tolerances of Two Scales - Balance Tolerance Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
V Drift and Variation over Time of an Analytical Balance. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
J Weighing Balance Accuracy for Plastic Moulded Parts variation study Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Basic Internal Calibration Procedure to check the Accuracy of a Balance Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
N Internal Calibration vs. Accredited Calibration for Balance - Differences Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
J Line Balance Study and maybe Takt Time and Cycle Time Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
C Balance Calibration SOP for a Pharmaceutical Environment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Line Balance Simulation when Designing a New Production Line Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
J Balance Calibration Verification question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Log Book for Analytical Balance Calibration Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Establishing Ranges for Weights for Calibration Verification of a Micro-Balance Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
H Analytical Balance Calibration and Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
K ISO 15189, QA & how to calibration for Balance, refrigerator and centrifuge? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
K How to find work-life balance? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
S What is the 10d in the owner's manual for a balance's minimum weight? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Is it possible to train our lab technician to perform balance calibrations? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Precision Balance Verification and Calibration Process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Operating Range & Calibration for Analytical Balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F How to determine Minimum Weight of analytical Balance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
S Sharing and/or Protecting Knowledge: Balance Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S How do you balance corrective (disciplinary) action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 18
P How much balance do you feel is present in your life? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
BradM Uncertainty calculation - Estimation for a Mettler Toledo XP 56 balance at 20 grams Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
X Is Gage R&R the right way to go? Hofmann Balance Tester Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Wes Bucey A good woman brings balance to your life! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
V Internal Scale and Balance Calibration Method Tolerances and Limits General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I How to Balance a Warehouse System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
D Off Duty Balance - Does anyone else enjoy hiking to clear the brain...? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9