Introducing a new Product Variant - ECO Process?

J

jhambkalash

Hi All,

I need some guidance for controlling and introducing a process for creation of new part numbers. My company manufactures- flow switches, flow meters and controllers for semi-conductor industry and some for oil and gas
We have new part number created when a customer requires a flow switch (existing catalog product) variant being sold with a parameter attribute change( set point change/factory preset) within the published product spec for that particular product or product series. In a scenario a flow switch X can be sold with multiple set points- 50 different set points and each set points results in a new part number. Now to introduce these new part numbers ( BOM is same) do we need to write an ECO/ECN to release them to manufacturing ?

Regards

Kalash

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Now to introduce these new part numbers ( BOM is same) do we need to write an ECO/ECN to release them to manufacturing ?
Welcome to the Cove jhambkalash
I do not think an ECO/ECN is the route to release a product varient.
As you say these are new parts in there own right, the BOM is all but same, but just one factory setting governs the part identity.
Be it 50 or 500, release it as a new part and highlight the setting aspect. Relate it to the new part number. A good and simple matrix can be a tool for introducing as many as the market demands.
I see an ECO/ECN as a change in something to an existing part, keeping the part identity the same.

J

jhambkalash

Thanks Somashekar!

Do we need to keep a record to show that a review of customer request was done – engineering review. Our ECO process not only allows us to introduce changes to the existing products/components , but also introduce new product variants. The only problem with this method is – paper work/approvals. Our company does lot of customization to accommodate customer request ( set points, connectors, added fittings..) and all this results in part numbers …..

What if the customer is requesting to add a special connector to the end of flow switch cable . For us we need to create a new part number to capture this new sale ( new product variant) and in this scenario a connector will be added to the exiting BOM. So what checks/records do we need to capture before introducing this to the manufacturing? Cant this be introduced through the ECO system ?

Regards

Kalash

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Do we need to keep a record to show that a review of customer request was done – engineering review.
These are design inputs coming from customer (This gets recorded) and when it reflects in your design output (BOM, Drawings, Specifications, ...) and as these outputs are reviewed to see if design inputs are met, your cycle gets completed.
Our ECO process not only allows us to introduce changes to the existing products/components , but also introduce new product variants.
I will be very happy to use it effectively if the ECO process is so built. The process you establish must work for you. My comments on ECO/ECN are from my understanding of an engineering change process. In your case an engineering change is resulting in a new product. Again it is the way you formulate your input >> activity >> output.
The only problem with this method is – paper work/approvals. Our company does lot of customization to accommodate customer request ( set points, connectors, added fittings..) and all this results in part numbers …..
When done smartly, your paper work / approval can be much simpler process as you are always building over an existing product and adding specific customer requirement. Avoid repetitions, and link to references of product specification over which the new variant is built.
What if the customer is requesting to add a special connector to the end of flow switch cable . For us we need to create a new part number to capture this new sale ( new product variant) and in this scenario a connector will be added to the exiting BOM. So what checks/records do we need to capture before introducing this to the manufacturing? Cant this be introduced through the ECO system ?
You can as I mentioned above.
Look at it as Design inputs >> Processed to required design outputs >> Reviewed that the outputs meets input requirements >> Firm up the outputs >> Validate in actual build that customer requirement is met >> Release for use.

Top Bottom