Introducing an existing product into automotive context - DFMEA needed?

Dan M

Involved In Discussions
Hi, we have products (fluids) that were designed years ago, that are now being introduced into OEM Automotive applications. The products were originally designed for non-automotive applications, so the design work was done according the ISO 9001 guidelines.

Will an auditor have the expectation that the design documentation needs to be updated to meet the guidelines of IATF 16949 8.3 For example, some products may not have a DFMEA. Thanks for your support?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Is the automotive application subject to (customer driven) new requirements? Do you have new parameters to validate? Are there new product regulatory requirements for you to assess the product against?

In my experience, auditors are willing to accept previous approval packages, if well documented. But, normally there are deltas to be covered.

Dan M

Involved In Discussions
The products are validated against the new customer and regulatory requirements. Although we did construct a PFMEA, I think our main concern is that we do not have a DMFEA.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
So, it looks like you will have to develop a DFMEA in order to comply with the IATF 16949:2016 requirements.

Any IATF competent auditor would expect to see it.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
A lot of things can change because of the new application, including the severity of the failure. Without knowing the specifics of the original and new applications, we would be just speculating.

Automotive quality has improved immensely in the last 30 years. While some suppliers like to badmouth the OEM requirements and paint everything with the wide brush of unnecessary bureaucracy, it seems to me that, collectively, the automotive industry is making great progress in terms of product quality. So, I believe, the tools they use must be helping.

I have a similar question.

We are designing a product(under ISO 9001), but have interest from customers to make it automotive. All of our manufacturers will be TS 16949, but we as a "design house" are still only ISO 9001.

It seems the Automotive companies appear to be interested in us providing APQP, PPAP, DFMEA and PFMEA's.

If I understand correctly the DFMEA & PFMEA are part of the FMEA package, which is part of a PPAP?

Where does APQP play into this? Is this simply AIAG's version of PPAP?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I have a similar question.

We are designing a product(under ISO 9001), but have interest from customers to make it automotive. All of our manufacturers will be TS 16949, but we as a "design house" are still only ISO 9001.

It seems the Automotive companies appear to be interested in us providing APQP, PPAP, DFMEA and PFMEA's.

If I understand correctly the DFMEA & PFMEA are part of the FMEA package, which is part of a PPAP?

Where does APQP play into this? Is this simply AIAG's version of PPAP?
Get the core tools reference books from Aiag. But apqp essentially includes all the ppap elements.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Rules associated with introducing new QMS processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Introducing a new peripheral for cleared device - Is Validation required? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
I Introducing Titanium into Aerospace manufacturing Service Industry Specific Topics 4
P Introducing MSA in a Biomedical Company Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Ford is introducing an Aluminum F-150 Pick 'em Up Truck World News 1
Q Introducing Process based approach on Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Introducing ISO 9001:2008 in a Concrete and Construction Material Laboratory ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Introducing New Employees Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
J Introducing a new Product Variant - ECO Process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
8 Introducing a Balance Line - Identifying potential future pitfalls etc. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A Introducing New Employees to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Introducing Individual Chart to Accountants Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
J Introducing a risk/impact assessment to nonconformity procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
C Examples of successful 5S projects - Introducing 5S on the shopfloor and the offices Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
T Introduce Statistical Thinking before introducing the equations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 17
E French Intro to Quality - Introducing ISO 9001 to New Employees Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
J Design file for pre-existing products - Inputs and Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
N New (Upgraded Technology) vs Existing Equipment - Measurements Shift Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Validation of existing equipment - I have been asked to write a quality assessment for equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D How to create IQ, OQ, PQ protocol for existing equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
shimonv Creating a new commercial product based on a modification to an existing product Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Kuldeep Singh Change of Existing Medical Devices and 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
F Device Standards - Managing Changes to existing standards that apply to our devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Implementing EN 62304:2006 on existing and proven medical devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
H Classification of a device that uses an existing battery IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C ISO 14001 vs Existing Quality System - How to keep them separate? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
K Addition of a test reader to existing CE marked product. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
B NEED HSE-MS Gap Analysis between 2 existing Management Systems Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 0
Document Dame How to add AS9145 requirements to my existing AS9100 QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K 510k "Premarket" Submission for Existing Class II Software Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A How do we implement a Process Approach ISO 13485:2016 - Existing GMP QMS Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
N Is a new 510K required for change of manufacturing location for an existing device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part APQP and PPAP 3
V Procedure to change the Company name in existing TS16949-2009 certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Use of a "Priority existing chemical" in medical device in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
B Existing reports and altering such reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A How best to start revising an existing ISO 9001:2008 system in a company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I Is it acceptable it is to list new products under an existing 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
G New model for existing Class I Device Listing (510K exempt) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
S Evaluation of our existing Suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Digitising Existing Documents to ensure regulatory compliance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Already Existing Customer Open-PO (Purchase Order) Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Temporary Facility Used For Production - Use of existing Third Party Logos ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
alonFAI Update an existing QMS manual or write a new one for AS9100C Certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Regulation Process for Add on Accessory to an Existing Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M QSR - Design Control on Existing Device not Designed following QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2