Introducing Titanium into Aerospace manufacturing

inspector625

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

Our company is introducing Titanium into our manufacturing process in the fall and therefore we have material suppliers coming in to talk to us regularly. I am wondering if anyone can help me with some questions that I should be asking in regards to this new material on a Quality side? Or if anyone has any experience in Titanium that you could share with me it would be greatly appreciated as I am not a metallurgist. Thank you all either way!:eek:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,

Our company is introducing Titanium into our manufacturing process in the fall and therefore we have material suppliers coming in to talk to us regularly. I am wondering if anyone can help me with some questions that I should be asking in regards to this new material on a Quality side? Or if anyone has any experience in Titanium that you could share with me it would be greatly appreciated as I am not a metallurgist. Thank you all either way!:eek:
If you are introducing titanium now, WHY? New design? Have a conversation with the design engineer about requirements. Machining this material? Ask questions of machine and cutting tool manufacturers. When we machined titanium, we dedicated a machine to ONLY titanium with special inserts, plus advantage of ONLY titanium turnings and shorts for segregated scrap (higher price.) We did something similar for all nonferrous material - made a big difference in bottom line at the end of the year.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
If you are introducing titanium now, WHY? New design? Have a conversation with the design engineer about requirements. Machining this material? Ask questions of machine and cutting tool manufacturers. When we machined titanium, we dedicated a machine to ONLY titanium with special inserts, plus advantage of ONLY titanium turnings and shorts for segregated scrap (higher price.) We did something similar for all nonferrous material - made a big difference in bottom line at the end of the year.
you could also ask about heat treating and residual material (how much should you leave on the material so that after heat treat you could machine the alpha particles come to the surface. Another question is handling / cleaning of product before heat treat. Speed and feed are also good questions and don't forget to ask about coolant for the machine operations - which is best. Ask if it is OK to use ceramic insert.

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions
As far as the quality aspects I would ask to see copies of certs to make sure they are acceptable and complete. If you are dealing with distributors I would ask about their sources, the mills, and how they will ensure you get the same quality. In other words how the distributor flows down its quality requirements. How does it verify the product at incoming inspection. Do they just rely on the mill cert or do they perform their own testing.

Since this is a new material for you I would also be concerned with the safety and health hazards. What kind of operations are going to be performed on the titanium? Is the scrap going to be reduced to dust or small chips? While safe at normal temperatures it will burn at higher temps or in the form of dust it is an explosive hazard. There are other concerns too. You should also avoid putting water on hot titanium.

inspector625

Involved In Discussions
Thanks everyone!!

We are going into Titanium because that is the way Aerospace seems to be heading. We have purchased a new Manzoni (may be spelled wrong) header. This will be a warm header that will be only for Titanium. We are also looking a purchasing a smart threader, which will also be warm (hot) rolling. I am just not sure which questions to ask a supplier about a material I have yet to learn much about. What I need is to take some courses in Metallurgy. Again I appreciate all your input and any more you can offer. Hope everyone has a great day!:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Rules associated with introducing new QMS processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Introducing an existing product into automotive context - DFMEA needed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Introducing a new peripheral for cleared device - Is Validation required? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P Introducing MSA in a Biomedical Company Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Ford is introducing an Aluminum F-150 Pick 'em Up Truck World News 1
Q Introducing Process based approach on Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Introducing ISO 9001:2008 in a Concrete and Construction Material Laboratory ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Introducing New Employees Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
J Introducing a new Product Variant - ECO Process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
8 Introducing a Balance Line - Identifying potential future pitfalls etc. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A Introducing New Employees to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Introducing Individual Chart to Accountants Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
J Introducing a risk/impact assessment to nonconformity procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
C Examples of successful 5S projects - Introducing 5S on the shopfloor and the offices Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
T Introduce Statistical Thinking before introducing the equations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 17
E French Intro to Quality - Introducing ISO 9001 to New Employees Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
R Validation for Anodizing titanium orthopaedic screw Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B Titanium Implants MR (Magnetic Resonance) Compatibility Labeling US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
B Weld Validation on Titanium Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H ISO Standard for Titanium & Stainless Steel finishing for Implant Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Are implant rods (made of Titanium) passivated? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
M Measuring Holes in Material Stack - Carbon Composite-Aluminum Alloy-Titanium Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
F Requirements for Cutting Fluids for Titanium Materials - Thesis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P Cutting and Tapping Titanium Material - What tap material is recomended Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Chinese supplier called Dalian Sunny - Titanium Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
sonflowerinwales Titanium, what's the latest from the USA? Falsifying paperwork for titanium Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Sidney Vianna An example of a meaningful preventive action for aero suppliers who use titanium AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Surface Finish Requirements (Ra 150) for Blasted Titanium Surfaces Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
A Heat Treatment Validation - Titanium (6Al 4V) for 2 hours @ 700 Deg C Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Q EtO vs. Gamma Sterilization - Stainless Steel and Titanium Orthopaedic Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M EN 10204 type 2.2 certificate example - Titanium component - Aerospace Industry Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
bryan willemot Shipping Aerospace parts without Stress certs Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
DuncanGibbons Are the IQ OQ & PQ procedures applicable to the aerospace industry? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
DuncanGibbons Classification of aerospace parts depending on their risk and criticality etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
howste Aerospace Improvement Maturity Model (AIMM) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
DuncanGibbons Qualification vs Certification in an Aerospace context AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
DuncanGibbons Are there aerospace standards for the development and manufacture of euipment and tools? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
kmrcial Any advice for a young quality professional in the aerospace industry? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
DuncanGibbons Documentation aerospace OEMs require with purchase of parts from manufacturers/suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
R The alignments and contradiction in Quality Engineering and management between the Automotive and Aerospace industry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Sidney Vianna More allegations of unethical behavior in the Aerospace Sector AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J Choosing QMS Software for Aerospace Company Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing/3D printing for aerospace (certification procedure) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AEA (Aerospace Experience Auditor) Challenges - Finding availability of AEA for witness AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3