SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Inventory Control - Class II (IIb for CE) medical device

We manufacture and distribute a class II (IIb for CE) medical device. I'm curious to know what best practice or industry standards exist for inventory management when it comes to medical devices. I have not found much in the standards.

We try to track where devices are shipped to in case of issues such as a recall. Our invoices also track to device serial numbers. However, sometime there is a break down. We also sometimes have a miscount of inventory. Our records system will say there are 100 devices in stock when in actuality there are 83, or something along those lines. We do use a bit of a clumsy chain of software packages and in-house software to manage everything. We'd like to improve on this, but it's not in the budget at the moment.

What kind of inventory accuracy is generally needed? What's deemed acceptable. I assume there's always going to be some inventory inconsistencies, but not sure what best practices would be.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
You might want to look at official guidance regarding traceability and recall (example here).
What you need to and can do depends on how you sell - direct to users or through distributors, one device at a time or in batches etc.
Other than that I would look at general (not medical device specific) stock management practices - there is abundant literature on best practices online.

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
Traceability and recall are some of the highest items in the priority list (next to product quality). When I perform internal audits, I ask the staff to track both ways (upstream as well as downstream), meaning I will ask the question, "What if one of our critical suppliers informs us that the product they sent has been flagged for a recall. Can we track every device we made that used that part?". It's a harder task to perform (IMO) but they get the reason why we need to perform it.

Regarding inventory and correct numbers, you need to perform inventory counts on a regular basis to maintain an accurate count. If the numbers are incorrect, you need to figure out why, and perform a CAPA to realign your practice. We had an off count, discovered the underlying reason and are currently in the process of correcting it. It was actually a very simple change we made to the process. We gave ourselves a few months for the process to be implemented and verified effective before we can call it a success. We also discovered that by correcting the issue, we will have the added benefit of being more efficient in how the inventory is managed (sounds intuitive but we had a greater potential for things getting "lost").

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Good advice by @Ronen E and @Edward Reesor.

I assume there's always going to be some inventory inconsistencies, but not sure what best practices would be.
I can't see any reason why this would be considered acceptable. From a business standpoint, you could well be losing money! From a risk standpoint (and since you're II / IIb it's not insignificant), these could be going places where they're not intended.

Good advice by @Ronen E and @Edward Reesor.

I can't see any reason why this would be considered acceptable. From a business standpoint, you could well be losing money! From a risk standpoint (and since you're II / IIb it's not insignificant), these could be going places where they're not intended.
I understand that the goal is always 100% accuracy. I was just being pragmatic. I've never known any business I've worked with to maintain a perfect inventory count, so I figure there must be a means to measure and assess as well as some level of tolerance? I could totally be wrong.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I understand that the goal is always 100% accuracy. I was just being pragmatic. I've never known any business I've worked with to maintain a perfect inventory count, so I figure there must be a means to measure and assess as well as some level of tolerance? I could totally be wrong.
Are you referring to medical device businesses? 100% should be the goal even if you never fully achieve it.
Put it in your Quality Objectives and address under Management Review.

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
I would only reiterate what the others have said, your goal must be 100% accuracy. If nothing else, your invoicing and despatch notes should identify where to and how many have been shipped. If these are not reliable, how can you invoice correctly?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Inventory Control - Any thoughts would be appreciated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
O Inventory control ideas - I have an open stock room with a "sign out" book Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A Non-Conforming Material Control and Inventory Software System Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
M Blood Collection Inventory Control Procedure example wanted Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 3
B Inventory Control as an ISO 9001 Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
N Inventory, Calibration, Maintenance Docs. etc. - Do these Documents require control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) Inventory List - Details and Samples? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
J Medical Device Classification question - Inventory Control devices and software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Salvage - Rework - Scrap: Software to control inventory - Reviews or recommendations? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
A Inventory Control - Inventory control flow chart for reference? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 13
Marc Thoughts on Pragmatic Inventory Control procedures Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
L Inventory Control - only manufacture parts AFTER receipt of a purchase order QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
M Inventory Control and Production Planning and QA QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
O Production run inventory sell-by expiration date? APQP and PPAP 3
M Handling design changes with use-as-is inventory disposition Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S Inventory Listing and ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Laboratory Fridge / Freezer Inventory - Requirement(s) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Inventory management for a small startup device company Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
F Component Molding and Over-molding - Handling Resin Inventory Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Crimpshrine13 IATF 16949 and ISO 9001 Remote Support - Pass Through Inventory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
eule del ayre Manual Inventory System - Problem is discipline of the employees Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
qualprod Cycle times, value stream mapping, inventory, average values? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
A Scheduled during our company's inventory activity - ISO 9001 audit question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Labeling Requirements for Acquired Medical Device Inventory Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Are Critical Business Processes Assets that need to be included in Asset Inventory? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
E Where to go for inventory management and pricing help Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Inventory Move Ticket Form Wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S What is the accepted range for "Inventory Reconciliation" for RM and FG ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Barcode Inventory System Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Lean 5S - Setting Min/Max Inventory Levels Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
S Inventory Management in a Company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
R Accurate Quarterly Inventory Turn Numbers Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M Inventory Parts Have Been Revised Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
S How can I inventory labels supplied by customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action Program for Inventory Inaccuracies Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
M Keeping Packaging Material and Photographs in Sync with Inventory Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S Reworked DOA (Dead On Arrival) Return back to Inventory as New? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T How to ensure Inventory FIFO (First In First Out) by Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
X Internal Audit of a Bank's 'Stationery' - Inventory Internal Auditing 22
N Company Name Change - Existing Inventory with Old Company Name Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
B Can returned goods go back into inventory? (EO Sterilized Surgical Sponges) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
K What to look for when buying non-inventory products such as Gas & Electricity Service Industry Specific Topics 2
J Clause 7.5.5.1 (Storage and Inventory) requirements in ISO/TS 16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
K Seeking a sample spreadsheet - Inventory of items with 2 units Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Returned Material Authorizations and Accepting Products back into Normal Inventory Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
T Incorrect Data in Inventory List - Internal Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 33
A Are bearings part of "Shelf Life" inventory? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 10
A Configuration Management and On-Hand/In-Transit Inventory Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
J Looking for CPIM (Certified in Production and Inventory Management) insight Professional Certifications and Degrees 2