Inventory prior to AS9120 certification

Susan atSLAMResource

Starting to get Involved
Just wondering and hoping that someone can help.

We are a small company that manufactures fittings and hose assemblies.
We also distribute some fittings that can be used within the Aerospace industry.
We currently sell those distributed fittings for ground equipment only (and R&D purposes).
We are in the process of gaining our AS9120 certificate ( External audit soon) for the distribution of those fittings.

We have inventory that we purchased from AS9100 and AS9120 suppliers with all required documentation (from them).
These suppliers would now be on our approved AS9120 supplier list (and they were previously on our ISO9001 approved supplier lists)
Our purchase orders to those suppliers were detailed - but maybe not as detailed as our AS9120 purchase orders would be now.
We have maintained traceability back to the material test reports, receiving documents, packing slips, etc.
They went through receiving process very similar to what is now described for AS9120.(some minor tweaks to the information to be noted on the documentation).
We would like to put those parts into our " AS9120" stock to then sell them under our AS9120 certificate (to Aerospace etc customers).

Is this permitted ?

Thank you very much !
Susan

Randall Beck

Involved In Discussions
Admittedly I am not familiar with AS9120 specifics but if you can show full compliance and traceability as required in the AS9120 requirements and your customers, I would not see why you could not absorb these into your inventory as a starting point. Receive them per your AS9120 procedures and test them out. If they are compliant there shouldn't be any additional RISK. Your pre audit or gap analysis could be done on these as well to verify all requirements are met per your procedures. I don't think it would ever be expected that compliant parts with full traceability need to be thrown out and your business needs to start from 0 inventory.

For your external registration audit you will need examples and data to audit anyways.

Following for others input.....

On Holiday
You have these parts in stock, currently? Were they purchased before the "official" implementation of your AS9120 QMS? It seems to me there's no real issue here. From the "official start" you'd have your new requirements being followed. It would be inappropriate for an AS 9120 auditor to "ding" you retropsectively.

Susan atSLAMResource

Starting to get Involved
You have these parts in stock, currently? Were they purchased before the "official" implementation of your AS9120 QMS? It seems to me there's no real issue here. From the "official start" you'd have your new requirements being followed. It would be inappropriate for an AS 9120 auditor to "ding" you retropsectively.
Yes we have these parts in stock and some were purchased before the official implementation.
Thank you for your response !

Susan atSLAMResource

Starting to get Involved
Admittedly I am not familiar with AS9120 specifics but if you can show full compliance and traceability as required in the AS9120 requirements and your customers, I would not see why you could not absorb these into your inventory as a starting point. Receive them per your AS9120 procedures and test them out. If they are compliant there shouldn't be any additional RISK. Your pre audit or gap analysis could be done on these as well to verify all requirements are met per your procedures. I don't think it would ever be expected that compliant parts with full traceability need to be thrown out and your business needs to start from 0 inventory.

For your external registration audit you will need examples and data to audit anyways.

Following for others input.....
Thank you for your response !
This is the way that I see it too - but just looking for others with more experience and knowledge than I have to confirm that my logic makes sense.
Thanks again
Susan

Top Bottom