IoT, AI, Big Data and National Strategies of Other Countries (in your country, do you have any?)

Kadiot

Starting to get Involved
Hi. I attended a seminar today here in Singapore. The title: "CS Seminar: An Overview of AI in Data Mining, and Graph Embedding sponsored by a Singapore-based organization that develops advanced AI technologies to gather, analyze and predict digital signals from unstructured and structured data for market intelligence and financial intelligence needs.

I am attaching a screenshot of a slide/PowerPoint presentation where a statement caught my attention. The statement is "US does not have national strategy for AI." I find it hard to believe. Can anyone confirm if it is true?

Anyway, the following are the general concerns for a national IoT strategy applicable to some countries.

I wonder if quality folks (you!) can come up and write a National Strategy for Internet-of-Things specific and applicable to YOUR BELOVED COUNTRY. Quality folks are very good at strategizing.

IoT CONCERNS:

The NSA, yes the National Security Administration of the US states that the following are the Top Ten list of IoT vulnerabilities:

1. Insecure web interface​
2. Insufficient authentication/authorization​
3. Insecure network services​
4. Lack of transport encryption​
5. Privacy concerns​
6. Insecure cloud interface​
7. Insecure mobile interface​
8. Insufficient security configurability​
9. Insecure software/firmware​
10. Poor physical security​
(My comment: NSA source for this is the Open Web Application Security Project, OWASP. So NSA quotes OWASP and i quote NSA, everybody are lazy to do orig-research . . . or wise to save energy?)

And according to International Data Corporation, IDC, the installed base of IoT endpoints will grow from approximately 9 billion in 2013 to about 28 billion in 2020. (NSA is quoting IDC, and I am quoting NSA. This is getting funny).

NSA continues . . . “according to Gartner, by 2020 approximately 250,000,000 connected vehicles would be in use worldwide. This will make cars one of the larger representative samples of the IoT ecosystem. But three years ago, two security researchers remotely hacked a Chrysler Jeep Cherokee and breached General Motor’s OnStar system – unlocking doors, starting the ignition, and accessing the owner’s email.”

NSA continues to quote, this time from Wired magazine . . . “Wired magazine recently compiled a list of what it deemed as some of the most concerning connected medical products that hackers may target including drug infusion pumps, insulin pumps, and CT scanning equipment . . . access to these types of devices could alter the amount of drugs, insulin, or radiation that a patient receives, with deadly consequences”.

America’s Department of Homeland Security thinks that start-ups are best source for IoT security solutions. DHS in 2015 set up an office in Silicon Valley to look for companies whose technology not only detects devices and sensors, but also verifies and authenticates them, prevent spoofing, and updates devices’ security systems. As part of its plan to entice start-ups, in December 2015, the NSA unveiled plans to use small, short term technology contracts to bypass the lengthy administrative process associated with traditional contracting.

Consumers’ security fears are curtailing IoT sales.

(numbers 1 to 5 are from the NSA’s eBooklet titled The Next Wave, 2016. There must be a latest one, I will update)

According to the Center for Data Innovation, a country’s national strategy for Internet-of-Things must consider the following concerns:

Market Failures: If left solely to market forces, the development of the Internet-of-Things will fail to reach its full potential. The market failures will include: Network Externalities, “Chicken and Egg” Dynamics, Risk and Uncertainty, Competitiveness Externalities, Interoperability, Public Goods, Human Capital, Radio Spectrum, Research and Development Funding.

Innovation-Friendly Innovation

Equity

(I'll try to explain the specifics of the above in my next post. I would appreciate if anyone can do it for me.)

Again, from the Center for Data Innovation, these are the COUNTRIES CRAFTING THEIR NATIONAL STRATEGIES ON INTERNET-OF-THINGS

CHINA

In March 2010, the Chinese central government opened a national center for IoT with initial funding of $117.2 million. China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology issued a Five-Year Plan for the Development of the Internet-of-Things. China also established an inter-agency council to guide national policy on IoT which includes industry development, workforce training, and R&D targets.

GERMANY

IoT in Germany is a part of its “Industry 4.0” plan to modernize its manufacturing sector. The country budgeted $221 million to support IoT which will advance “smart factory” technologies ranging from sensor-embedded systems to AI platforms that can help operate internet-connected machinery.

INDIA

India’s National Telecom M2M Roadmap includes government-backed venture capital funding, creating incubators and test bed facilities for IoT. The Roadmap also includes India’s plan to develop 100 smart cities, financing it with a $7.4 billion investment over the next five years.

JAPAN

In June 2013, Japan declared that it would be the “world’s most advanced IT nation.” This will include the IoT in the areas of healthcare, disaster resilience, public safety, infrastructure planning, and R & D for sensor technology. This includes the information-processing technologies that can analyze large amounts of data from Internet-connected devices.

(Note: research in progress)

Attachments

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
From /. (Slashdot: News for nerds, stuff that matters):

A Twitter user using the pseudonym of @TheHackerGiraffe has hacked over 50,000 printers to print out flyers telling people to subscribe to PewDiePie's YouTube channel. The message the printers received was a simple one. It urged people to subscribe to PewDiePie's YouTube channel in order for PewDiePie -- a famous YouTuber from Sweden, real name Felix Kjellberg -- to keep the crown of most subscribed to YouTube channel.

If this sounds ...odd... it's because over the past month, an Indian record label called T-Series has caught up andsurpassed PewDiePie, once considered untouchable in terms of YouTube followers. The Swedish Youtube star made a comeback after his fans banded together in various social media campaigns, but T-Series is catching up with PewDiePie again.

In a Reddit AMA after The Verge first covered his "hacks," @TheHackerGiraffe said he hacked only 50,000 printers, but he could have easily pushed his message to over 800,000 that are currently exposed online.

The pull it off, the hacker said he used a tool called the Printer Exploitation Toolkit (or PRET), which was released in January 2017, when its authors published it together with a research paper detailing six vulnerabilities in over 20 network printers, the tool being meant to be used as an utility for testing for vulnerable printers.

Kadiot

Starting to get Involved
Hi Marc. Thank you for the links. These attacks will become more common, and more catastrophic.

There are waves of progress which have been defining the world’s civilizations, first is the industrial revolution, second is the information revolution (which includes computers, networking, Internet, handheld social media tools) and third is the upcoming Internet-Of-Things and Big Data. These three waves are still going on, both elbowing against each other and yet embracing each other as they are all affecting nations and their citizens in different sequences and stages. All these because nations are in different technological status, which means that due to their different economic standing and political maturity these diverse countries are precariously struggling and adjusting to the battering of these three “waves” of progress. Although the First World countries were able to take advantage and make use of the mentioned waves of progress, the “struggling and adjusting” of other countries, especially that of the Third World countries is costly in terms of time, money, and lost opportunities because some of these countries did not prepare for the coming of these “waves” due to sheer ignorance, false confidence, and indifference. Thus many countries were not able to profit from these waves of progress and were not able to propel themselves towards progress by riding on these waves. Obviously, how can many of these countries benefit from something which they do not know and are not prepared well? Which is why, this time almost all countries in the world are summoning all their resources to prepare for the coming of the Internet-Of-Things and Big Data society. That's why I don't believe US does not have national strategy for IOT, AI, Big Data.

Last edited:

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
These attacks will become more common, and more catastrophic.
I think it's a whack-a-mole process. I'm not convinced catastrophic is really the word to use, but yes - Problematic. This is all a learning experience where companies are becoming more aware of the "latest" attack vectors and learn from them. In addition, IT people are, slowly, unfortunately, learning. From IoT device makers to company (and personal, for that matter) security.

The biggest problem is, in my opinion, that so much legacy equipment is out there that simply will never be updated.

E.g.:
Stop using Netgear routers with unpatched security bug, experts warn
Your Router's Security Stinks: Here's How to Fix It
Security vulnerability in IoT cameras could allow remote control by hackers | ZDNet
Spectre (security vulnerability) - Wikipedia
Marriott breach leaves 500 million exposed with passport, card numbers stolen

And the list goes on...

Shodan - The search engine for the Internet of Things

Kadiot

Starting to get Involved
Here in Thailand, we have Thailand 4.0 - http://thaiembdc.org/thailand-4-0-2/

View attachment 25079

EDIT: added inforgraphic
It's great that Thailand government has broad national strategy for IOT-AI-Big Data.

In Philippines (my country) setting, the main key in harnessing all these mentioned powers of IoT-AI-Big Data issues is on the preparation side. And on the preparation side, our educational system is the only thing which is within our control. Other factors of success are beyond our control, as they are usually dictated by outside forces and ever-shifting geopolitics of which Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is very vulnerable. Not to mention, the fact that in the Philippines, the demand for more bandwidth and speedier Internet infrastructures are not being supplied by the present duopoly in telecommunications. Another telco (China Telcom) just came in to dismantle the duopoly, but without a proper national strategy, this new one could be the third player in the tripoly.

Sharing this article I've just read...

U.S. Needs a National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence, Lawmakers and Experts Say

"Policymakers and technology experts said without a broad national strategy for driving artificial intelligence forward, the U.S. risks letting global competitors direct the growth of the budding industry."

"The Trump administration has taken a largely hands-off approach in regards to AI, arguing it’s still too early for the government to get involved in the technology and any attempts at oversight could stifle its growth. But in a panel hosted Wednesday by Politico, experts were quick to point out the difference between burdening industry with regulations and addressing the issues at hand today."

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
It's not new. AI depends upon machine learning and always has. These days the terms are just essentially used interchangeably.

Top Bottom