iPad and other Tablet "Apps" for Audits and other Business Related Processes

rjmsteel

Starting to get Involved
Re: iPad Apps for Audits and other Business Related Processes

Sure do! We have completed our entire year of Internal Audits to ISO 9001:2008 using the iPad. We simply download our PDF System Level Procedures to Dropbox, (on any device ~ computer of choosing) then upload the PDF onto the iPad. We use the Noteability "app" (look it up) which allows us to type - or better yet - use a stylus to annotate directly on the PDF (of the System Level Procedure).
Using Dropbox we then transfer the annotated file (PDF) "back to" the computer or device of you`re choosing. In our case we simply attach the file (PDF) onto our Company Wiki where we can retrive it for review, surveillance audits, etc.

Hope this helps... by the way - great app.

S

scottj

I have been using PDF files on android tablet to make notes and mark up procedures as audit checklist. The standard PDF reader on android allows you to include highlights, text and scribbled notes.

I have also been using Checkmark Pro (android) There is a free version that allows you to upload chackmark files and generate your own checklist. The Pro version ($5) lets you generate a checklist in CSV and imprt it into the checkmark format. Apart from the tickboxes it allows you to take notes, add photos and include "units". I use the units to record nonconformances.
You can export the file as a CSV or as an html or send as email.

It id good for internal audits and inspections, but the format is not good enough to produce a finished audit report.

C

calum

well, aside from the frey, I can recommend the CamCard app, it saves alot of time faffing about with business cards.

J

JaxQC

My experience was before the nice iPod versions out there. It was a GreenBelt project of tying an in-house made Access database checklist into the plant’s wireless system for floor audits. You opened the file on the PDA for the area and audit level being completed (layered audit) and filled in the results. The questions changed constantly. Some questions were standard (scrap levels, area clean etc) but it was constantly updated with reactive/proactive items as well (problem with mach # 4=check temp, mistaking proofing on conveyor line # 2=verify effectiveness etc). As the specific items were confirmed , they dropped off the list to be replaced by the next action items.

By itself it only provided a presence to the operators (Hawthorne effect) but the KEY was that it was only effective because the data results were reviewed (quality, production, maintenance), acted upon, and followed up.

S

shoelace

Hi Everyone,:bigwave:

It is now almost mid 2017. Can anyone recommend an app? One that we can perform the audit with, take and annotate pictures, assign CAR/PAR's to responsible managers, receive responses, etc... Also would be nice to get stats on issues, frequencies, departments, etc... We are primarily looking for something that would work with EH&S as well as ISO 9K.

Thank you for your help!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I apologise for no response for a number of months, but check out the the app by Nimonik

I have no affiliation with them, but did try their software in the past and was impressed.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Personal experience using a tablet (with just an excel spreadsheet loaded into it) for LPA's is that it is more trouble than it is worth.

Making sure the tablet stays charged, carrying it around, trying to call up the keyboard and typing on it makes it a VERY cumbersome task. I have actually reverted to working with a paper copy on the floor, and then transcribing it all into the database from my desktop when I am done.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
I’m not too much into on-site auditing, so an honest question:

Is there a real need for a companion electronic device for auditing?

Technical issues like the ones Ron mentioned can be solved through developing a dedicated device. The question is whether the need justifies the trouble of developing it and whether people will actually buy and use such a device.

For instance:
- a device can be engineered to have enough juice for days and even weeks, to have a quick-change battery etc.
- a device can be built with an integrated hard-keyboard (like the old Blackberry)

Then it can be supplemented with stuff like a camera and what-not. And finally have a dedicated software with all the relevant tools, flexible connectivity (either wireless or wired) and a simple, user-friendly interface.

Would you use something like that? Would you buy it if you had to pay out of your own pocket? Assume it would cost similar to a mid-range smartphone / notebook computer.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I tend to agree with you, Ron. But.... I'm old school.

I watch people on their "smart" phones these days and they're fast - From texting on I'm very slow. A few years ago I bought my girlfriend an iPhone 4 which she still has and uses. She loves it. At the time I also had an iPhone 4. I'd had phones that did text messaging for years yet I had used text messaging very, very few times. Heck, my GF, who had never had a phone that did text messaging, went straight for it and these days she uses it all the time. I still rarely text people (I prefer a phone call). She is FAST on that tiny keyboard. She hates phone calls these days.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Hi Everyone,:bigwave:

It is now almost mid 2017. Can anyone recommend an app? One that we can perform the audit with, take and annotate pictures, assign CAR/PAR's to responsible managers, receive responses, etc... Also would be nice to get stats on issues, frequencies, departments, etc... We are primarily looking for something that would work with EH&S as well as ISO 9K.

Thank you for your help!

Hi,

Maybe a little late - have you found something worthy in the meantime?

I just had a look in App Store, apps for iPad. Based on your description I found this, which may or may not actually suit your needs (haven’t tried it yet so I don’t know; also not affiliated in any way):

“Easy ISO and OHSAS Audits” (search the App Store)

The baseline app is free but apparently has ads at the bottom. You can then get rid of them if you find the app useful, for some payment. So it won’t cost anything (except time...) to download and have a look.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Added in edit: Just had a look and saw that ISO 9001:2008 is free but you have to pay $3 to upgrade to ISO 9001:2015. Same goes for the other standards.

Top Bottom