IPC-A-610 Class 3

sasharm2

Registered
All,
I have a question, if a customer drawing calls out "Workmanship shall be per IPC-A-610 Class 3" does that require a) the operators doing the assembly work has to be IPC or JST-Std-001 CERTIFIED, can they be trained and qualified ( say per company's internal training program that is based on IPC/JSTD)?
b) QC inspectors have to be in IPC Certified

I am guessing b) has to be true, not so sure about a).

Thanks in advance.
Sanjay

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I would say unless the customer specifies otherwise, no formal certification by IPC is required. But the people would need to be competent/capable of producing product that met that spec.

Imagine if a PO said "Supplier's QMS shall be per ISO9001-2015". No "official" registration/certification would required.

But if the PO said "Supplier's QMS shall be certified compliant to ISO9001-2015 by an ANAB accredited registrar" that's a different kettle of fish.

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
I imagine that it would mean that the final product has to meet IPC standards for Class 3. To me, that means a certified inspector - but like Mike said, there is some room for interpretation. Our facility has both operators and inspectors certified to IPC, so I can't tell you from personal experience what other means could satisfy a requirement.

I would at least ask the customer what their expectations are. Risky, sure, but then you know you're meeting their expectations.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
No formal certification is required of operators or inspectors. But if your employees do not understand the standard you can be in big trouble and ship NC product. The certification class will also help you understand what is not required, hopefully saving money.

Top Bottom