IQ and OQ for Electro-Discharge Machining

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
Does anyone have any experience writing an IQOQ (Installation qualification/ Operational qualification) for an Electro-Discharge Machine?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

kuyakut

Involved In Discussions
For IQ,
You should states what are your installation requirements such as Electrical - power supply - 220 or 240, does it needs air supply how many bar? Does the EDM need to be fixed on the floor and so on.
Write all those requirements and when installation is done check the EDM installation based on your written requirements.

For OQ
You have to decide what is the Minimum and Maximum of the following:
Working Voltage
Current
Pulse Time
Gap between work piece and tool and so on
You need a baseline for your surface finish. For comparison with your Min OQ run and Max OQ run

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
How on earth do I measure these items though? Pulse time is extremely short (don't have the specs in front of me). The manual is no help. The fact that I know so little about how this equipment works doesn't help. The operator doesn't use any set process parameters, it's stated that it's run through operator experience. What kind of test equipment would be used?

The IQ is no problem.

We were thinking of just doing more of a PQ. Make a random part and measure to specs. We have a CMM for accurate measurements.

** If knowing the application helps, we create molds for medical device manufacture. The molds and/or the final product is FAI'd. (again, I would need to check into this further. I'm just assisting someone on this project and am trying to invest as little time as possible, lol)

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
How on earth do I measure these items though? Pulse time is extremely short (don't have the specs in front of me). The manual is no help. The fact that I know so little about how this equipment works doesn't help. The operator doesn't use any set process parameters, it's stated that it's run through operator experience. What kind of test equipment would be used?

The IQ is no problem.

We were thinking of just doing more of a PQ. Make a random part and measure to specs. We have a CMM for accurate measurements.

** If knowing the application helps, we create molds for medical device manufacture. The molds and/or the final product is FAI'd. (again, I would need to check into this further. I'm just assisting someone on this project and am trying to invest as little time as possible, lol)
It depends on what your IQ / OQ procedure dictates. Typically, the EDMs fall under the "support equipment" and may not require IQ, OQ, and PQ, and they may be calibrated at pre-determined requirements. Some of the other equipment that fall in this category could be Lathes, CNC, and certain measuring instruments like calipers, gages etc.

kuyakut

Involved In Discussions
Please do bear in mind that the electrode also has an impact on the outcome of the part. We have also a mold making facility for medical molding. As far as I can remember we only do IQ and PQ.
For PQ we only focus on the electrode , on how many times it can be use to make a certain inserts. The insert will be then measure for FAI. On the new revised company validation programme all mold making equipment were remove from the validation list.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q How to Inspect for ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) Damage Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A Quality Tagging Electronic Components - ESD (Electro-Magnetic Discharge) Concerns Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E Is ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) a Special Process under ISO 9001:2000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
J ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) program fits in with ISO 9001:2000 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
E ANSI S20.20 - ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) 0 Standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
D ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) - What is resistivity? And how to measure it Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D How to identify and confirm that the developed device fall under Israel electro medical device category Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D How to identify and confirm that the developed device fall under Israel electro medical device category Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M AMS0320 - Electro-deposition of zinc - Anyone come across this spec? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
V Plating Spec - Electro plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Standard for Reliability/Performance Test on a Electro Mechanical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Q Failure Analysis Procedure for Electro-Mechanical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Regulatory Requirements for for Class IIa Electro Medical Devices for South America Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
M Electro-coating PFMEA rankings needed FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Corrosion Quality Issue Root Cause - Electro Galvanized CRS - 0.8mm Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
R BOMs & Test Procedures - Electronic and electro-mechanical systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T What are the standards needed for an electro-acupuncture device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G Shop-floor temperature - Electro-mechanical Shopfloor set up Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) Training Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
C Sewage Discharge Consents - Proving within Limits ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
S Plug Discharge Test Calculations IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Must chairs be grounded for ESD (electrostatic discharge)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 26
M ISO14001 nonconformance - no proper treatment of wastewater prior to discharge ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
Q Validating ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) Flooring ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T ESD test 50% flashover discharge - Do anyone know that 50% flashover discharge means? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
M How To Conduct Machine Capability Of An Electrical Discharge Machining (edm)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Meeting 100% compliance in wrist strap testing - ESD (Elecro-Static Discharge) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 27
B API Q1 5.7.1.5 Process Validation - Machining, heat treating, Manganese Phosphate and Zinc Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S In BAC5300 we have machining mismatch allowed is 3tau, what is the value of tau? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S NADCAP approval for Conventional Machining and Chemical processes - need assistance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D Cast Part Machining Procedure Recommendation Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Process Validation on CNC Lathe and Milling machining process Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
Proud Liberal Informational Use of Classical SPC in Precision Machining Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
D IMDS for machining - Can my customer request a IMDS number for a part? APQP and PPAP 2
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C PFMEA example with machining (lathe+mill) FMEA and Control Plans 1
S Opinions on the "Best" CMM for High Accuracy Machining General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Proud Liberal Turnover Rates in Precision Machining Benchmarking 5
H Control plan example format for CNC machining activities FMEA and Control Plans 3
H FMEA sample for complete CNC machining process FMEA and Control Plans 1
M Basic Dimensions on Machining Prints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
5 First Piece Inspection (Primarily Standard Machining) Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Locating cast (both diecast & sand) parts consistently for machining Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S CNC Machining Process Validation for Prototypes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Need Machining Low Volume Family Control Plan and PFMEA APQP and PPAP 1
G Sampling Plan for Inspection of Metal Parts after CNC Machining Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 34
D First Part Buy Off for Machining Programs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S AS9102 Parts with Machining Allowances for the Customer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4