SBS - The best value in QMS software

IQ, OQ, PQ (installation, operational & performance qualification) compared to PPAP

W

wslabey

How does IQ, OQ, PQ compare to PPAP? Our company is moving into life sciences and producing FDA exempt products that will be used in laboratories. Our suppliers speak in the language of IQ, OQ, PQ and PPAP is foreign to them.

Are they comparable? If so, has anybody done a comparison. I would deeply appreciate a posting that answers my questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
Re: IQ, OQ, PQ compared to PPAP

I haven't seen a comparison that I remember. The weekend is starting so if no one replies bump this thread next Monday morning and you'll probbly get a reply.

A

achorste

Re: IQ, OQ, PQ compared to PPAP

PPAP & IQ OQ PQ are quite different, I'm not sure if a direct comparison can me made. IQ OQ PQ validates a process, typically this is individual processes, although it is sometimes used as a basis to validate full manufacturing routes.

IQ OQ PQ doesn't call for process capability or gauge studies specifically but there's no particular reason why they can't be included. (Gauge studies may be required in IQ for new gauging methods)

IQ OQ PQ, as your may have inferred from the name comes in three stages:

IQ - installation qualification
OQ - operational qualification and
PQ - performance qualification

IQ - verify the equipment is installed correctly, training, utilities, could include DoE for new unfamiliar processes, SOPs, risk analysis, preliminary control plans etc etc

OQ - testing "worst case parameters" - basically define the worst case settings for the particular process and ensure it still gives acceptable results - i.e. for an ultrasonic cleaner it could be lowest temperature, lowest frequency and lowest solvent concentration.

PQ - this ensures the process is repeatable - to do this you would have to define a statistically relevant number of production runs of typical batch / lot sizes. Although often I used the "three batch rule" - running 3 batches of the largest & smallest parts in a product range. The 3 batch rule isn't recognised offically anywhere as far as I know. This is all done under normal manufacturing conditions - i.e. no special inspection - everything as it would be in full production.

I posted the GHTF (Global Harmonisation Taskforce validation guidance the other day .

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wslabey

Re: IQ, OQ, PQ (installation, operational & performance qualification) compared to PP

Talk about a time delay. I appreciate the response. I am from an automotive background and work for an automotive supplier of engineering services, prototyping, and low volume production. Like many suppliers we are diversifying and have acquired a small startup company in Life Sciences. That division is moving along ISO 13485 registration with a scope that is limited to marketing and design. Its designs are made by contract manufacturers. I have learned a bit about IQ, OQ, PQ but I feel the quality deliverables I have seen from contract manufacturers are not concise or complete at each phase of the IQ, OQ, PQ. I would like to bring the discipline of PPAP with its deliverables (i.e., an all in one package) to our production approval process including engineering approval and validation of production run parts.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Bill

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Re: IQ, OQ, PQ (installation, operational & performance qualification) compared to PP

Hi Bill,

I come from the medical devices industry.

I know you're talking about ISO 13485, but I just realized that in FDA (QSR) terms, your lifescience company may qualify as a specification developer. As such, I'm not sure that they are even required to have process validation; it may be the contract manufacturer's responsibility. While this maybe true for medical devices, I am less sure wrt pharmceticals (which also fall under "lifescience").

In MDD terms (which are more closely related to ISO 13485) they might suffice with an annex VI (product final inspection) conformity, leaving the whole actual production as a "black box".

Cheers,
Ronen.

Talk about a time delay. I appreciate the response. I am from an automotive background and work for an automotive supplier of engineering services, prototyping, and low volume production. Like many suppliers we are diversifying and have acquired a small startup company in Life Sciences. That division is moving along ISO 13485 registration with a scope that is limited to marketing and design. Its designs are made by contract manufacturers. I have learned a bit about IQ, OQ, PQ but I feel the quality deliverables I have seen from contract manufacturers are not concise or complete at each phase of the IQ, OQ, PQ. I would like to bring the discipline of PPAP with its deliverables (i.e., an all in one package) to our production approval process including engineering approval and validation of production run parts.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Bill

A

alex.Kennedy

I am taking PPAP as meaning - Production Part Approval Process. As such it applies to a production part. Where as pharmaceutical / biotechnical / medical device cGMP

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=820&showFR=1

regulations apply not only to the product, but also all the manufacturing / testing / packaging / utilities / facilities / environmental / recording equipment, along with all associated processes that are used to produce test and store, the product.

There is no doubt you will have much of the required information to hand, but is it in an acceptable format? Many industries accept the likes of tick boxes (to indicate compliance), this practice is proscribed by our regulators. All tests must start with a rationale (justifying the test). Then contain a detailed test method. Then continue with a detailed acceptance criteria. Then complete with your test results and a statement that the acceptance criteria was or was not satisfied.

There is a strict regime of documentation that must be sequential in execution.

Alex Kennedy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Barcode Scanner IOPQ (Installation/Operational/Performance Qualification) Requirement Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
H Basic questions about Installation, Operational & Performance Qualification - PCBA Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
C Generate IQ, OQ & PQ (installation/operational/performance qualification) Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Installation Qualification (IQ) and Operational Qualification (OQ) for Laser Marking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
W Packaging / Heat Sealer Validation - IOQ (Installation/Operational Qualification) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 15
C ISO 13485 and IQ (Installation Qualification), OQ (Operational Qualification) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
JoCam Rental, service & installation - regulatory requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
I Veeva installation and the Loader Tool Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
GURU SDI Leak Testing - O-ring installation in the groove of Bore ID Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
A Best Method of Auditing an Installation Process at a client job-site ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Do you test the download and installation of a mobile medical device app? Software Quality Assurance 6
Q UDI and Standalone Software - UDI per installation? Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
A What is the definition of Installation that requires Record Keeping vs Set-up 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
L Medical Device Installation Records from Third Party Installer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J FDA Microscope IQ (Installation Qualification) Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S ISO 13485 Installation Activities 7.5.1.2.2 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Nonconformity Reporting at Installation Sites Service Industry Specific Topics 8
K Supplier or outsourced? Medical Device installation, sales, training Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
N Definition of Large-Scale Fixed Installation per the RoHS2 Directive EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E IEC 62304 5.2.2 f - Installation and acceptance of device software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Time & Motion Study - Dish TV Installation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
J ISO 9001 Audit Questions relating to Installation of Lifts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Office Relocation Installation Inspection Sheet Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S ETSO, TSO and EASA Form 1 - Do I need the ETSO approval for the installation? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
S SW (Software) - Customer vs. Company Installation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Site Installation Inspection and Testing for a HVAC Contractor Service Industry Specific Topics 2
A Installation and Validation Procedure for IT Laboratory ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Starrett RGC4040-24 CMM User and Installation Manual General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Is there a Specification for safety wire installation - Aerospace, SAE or otherwise AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D Tips/Documentation samples required for X-ray Film Processor Installation needed. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Installation Requirements for Bench Top Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
MarilynJ6354 Service & Installation Parts Identification - Install equipment at a customer's site Service Industry Specific Topics 6
C Installation Document that meet NFPA 70 & 72 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
C NFPA 72 and NFPA 72 Standards - Electrical Installation and Fire Alarm Systems Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Q IQ, OQ & PQ (Installation, Operation, and Performance Qualifications) on a CMM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Software installation issues After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
I Medical Gases Installation - Can be classified as MD and ISO 13485 certificated? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Quality Standards on Refrigeration (Installation) field IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Auditing of Installation of Product at Customers Sites General Auditing Discussions 6
M Seeking: Good process definition (map or whatever) for an installation business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q How to Calibrate Software - Microcontroller software installation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F 4.9 Installation & Servicing Processes QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Richard Regalado Top 10 operational risks of 2019 for business continuity planning Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
I ISO 22000:2018 - Operational Prerequisite Program Examples Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
D Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification' AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Z Operational Qualification for Injection Molding Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6