IQ/OQ/PQ of CNC Milling Machine

Hi guys,

I'm trying to validate a CNC Milling Machine to make custom titanium implants. I just wanted to get some second opinions/constructive criticism on whether i'm on the right direction for each of the qualification processes since i've never really done one before.

IQ:
- Verify that we got all the documents from the manufacturer: Operating manual, Maintenance and calibration schedule, machine drawings
- Verify that the whole unit is installed according to the drawings or obtain a installation certificate
- Verify that subsystems and utilities are met
- Verify that environmental conditions are met

OQ:
- Verify that each components of the machine work: so verify that the control panel works, the tool bits can be change and spin
- Verify that safety doors, switch, alarm works
- Verify that SOPs and WIs are made for operating the machine so at least the drafts are completed.
- Verify that Maintenance and calibration of the machine has been in-cooperated into the company's calibration and maintenance program.
- Because the machine is designed to mill out custom product each time would i just verify that the machine can mill out a part as part of the OQ?
- Verify that the equipment used to measure the part made is calibrated. E.g a calibre

PQ:
- Verify that the equipment used to measure the part made is calibrated. E.g a calibre
- Verify that for each type (family) of custom implant, the machine can mill out parts to correct thickness and dimensions
- Do a repeatability test to confirm that the machine can reproduce the same thickness and dimension all the time
- I was thinking of a sample size of 40 per implant type since that is one month worth of production.

Because the dimension of the product changes every time i was thinking of just verifying the part each time a part is made and in cooperate the verification into the part inspection process. Providing that I do this along with the ensuring that calibration and maintenance are carried out at appropriate time would that be sufficient?

The reason i'm doing the IQ/OQ/PQ even though i plan on inspecting all the parts is because i assume auditors are used to seeing IQ/OQ/PQ carried out on most manufacturing machine and it add a level of security that the machine is working right.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
This seems like a good starting point. I am not an expert on milling machines, but here are a few suggestions:
In the OQ, test the limits of the machine, is it consistent over the whole bed, check the largest and smallest parts that will be milled. Also review tool wear and the effect of wear on the parts
In the PQ test the consistency of operators setup/loading of the machine
Validate the computer interfaces, and if it has not been done, the CADCAM software itself.

There may be more, but you need to examine your risk assessments to establish what to check

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Process Validation on CNC Lathe and Milling machining process Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Quality Assurance Plan template for CNC Milling Industry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q Manufacturing Milling and CNC FMEA Examples FMEA and Control Plans 16
B CNC test pieces for milling and turning - I need to run a process capability study General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
GreatNate Qualifying a CNC machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
R CNC Software Validation requirements as per ISO 13485:2016 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
S Need Continuous improvement Suggestions - Small (30 of us) all-CNC machine shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
A ISO 9001 Control of Production Equipment - CNC Machines ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C O-Ring Groove Measurement Method in CNC Machined Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Document Dame OQ, PQ Requirement for Aerospace? Recently purchased CNC AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S FMEA for CNC Manufacturing FMEA and Control Plans 9
J CNC Machine Tool Calibration - 6 dof Calibration Interferometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
V Ultrasonic NDT on CNC Product made of Stainless Steel General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M AS9100 Control of CNC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
H Control plan example format for CNC machining activities FMEA and Control Plans 3
H FMEA sample for complete CNC machining process FMEA and Control Plans 1
L Caliper Calibration Standards - One for CNC and one for Sheet Metal? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Equipment Qualification of a CNC Mill Center ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Internal Audit of CNC Programing Internal Auditing 3
S CNC Machining Process Validation for Prototypes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Are CNC Program Backups Required by TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Sampling Plan for Inspection of Metal Parts after CNC Machining Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 34
P Machine Shop Tool Crib Procedure - Tooling for CNC mills Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
bobdoering Capability of new CNC machines Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 32
V CNC Probe Qualification and DME Interface General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B SPC Software Selection for use in a CNC Machine Shop - InfinityQS and Lighthouse Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
B CNC Machining Shop still heavily relies on First Piece and Final QC Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A Engineering Production Skills Matrix for Assembly or CNC Machinists Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
V CNC Process Validation Cpk Ppk & In-Process Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
R CNC OTS Software Validation Separate from full IQ/OQ/PQ for 21CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
S Receiver Gages vs. CNC CMM Checks Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
M Commercially available software solution for the control of our CNC programs. Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
E Error Proofing to prevent Length Short - CNC Turning Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
AshleyE Examples of a Scope Statement - CNC Machining, Sheet Metal Fabrication, Assembly ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Collecting SPC Data Electronically? CNC Lathes, CNC Mills and CNC Grinders Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K Probe on CNC machine - Inspecting on cnc machine tools vs. CMM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R Verify Accuracy for Validation of CNC Starrett Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B SMED in a vertical CNC Lathe Workstation consisting of 3 similar machines Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Q Operational Qualification of a CNC machine ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P CNC machine validation for Contract Manufacturer of medical devices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
D In Process Inspection Frequency and Documentation - CNC lathe/mill work Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Machined Parts PFMEA - Example of a CNC produced part PFMEA wanted FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Lot Capability - Forging -> CNC Machining -> Heat treatment -> Packaging Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Calculating OEE Performance Measurement for a CNC Plasma Cutter Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
C CNC Machine Operational Qualification Recoverability Testing Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
B Is a work instruction mandatory - CNC machine ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
A CNC Program and Revision Control procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A AS9100 7.5.1.3 Control of .... Numerical NC/CNC Machines Programs. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3