Is a CAR addressed to your customer the best way to communicate with?

LesPiles

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone,

We are a small EMS (Electronic Manufacturing Services) and we assemble cards on behalf of a client.

An internal resource of our sales dpt. asked me for coordinates of the customer?s quality resource to send a request for corrective action (CAR).

When I asked why, this person said that there is a mistake in the customer's instructions, causing us a lot of rejects. It has already reported the issue to the client but nothing has ever happened (instructions were still unchanged). Our sales person then has decided to send a CAR directly to the customer.

The question I have is this: "Does a CAR is the appropriate way to communicate to the customer in such a case??

Thank you in advance!

Les Piles

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Hello everyone,

We are a small EMS (Electronic Manufacturing Services) and we assemble cards on behalf of a client.

An internal resource of our sales dpt. asked me for coordinates of the customer?s quality resource to send a request for corrective action (CAR).

When I asked why, this person said that there is a mistake in the customer's instructions, causing us a lot of rejects. It has already reported the issue to the client but nothing has ever happened (instructions were still unchanged). Our sales person then has decided to send a CAR directly to the customer.

The question I have is this: "Does a CAR is the appropriate way to communicate to the customer in such a case??

Thank you in advance!

Les Piles
It is "legal" to send a corrective action to customer, but might be unwise... A few customer might accept it and respond appropriately, and many customers will unleash the wrath of God...I would advise you and your colleague to talk to an upper manager in your company for some guidance and advice....

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Les Piles
No CAR please...
You have a gap in your ISO9001 clause 7.2.2
You should have done this (Review of requirements related to the product) prior to your commitment to supply.
Nothing is lost. Hold back your supplies and resolve the requirements and maintain records.
You must rather strongly make an internal corrective action in your customer related process ... :cool:;):cool:;)

D

dataplate

No CAR please...
You have a gap in your ISO9001 clause 7.2.2
You should have done this (Review of requirements related to the product) prior to your commitment to supply.
Nothing is lost. Hold back your supplies and resolve the requirements and maintain records.
You must rather strongly make an internal corrective action in your customer related process ... :cool:;):cool:;)
CEM (Contract electronic manufacture) can be complex and during contract review many unforeseen problems cannot be predicted or identified. I would suggest instead of raising a non-conformance on your customer, create and use a system of "Drawing / Design Data Clarification Request". This can follow similar steps as an 8D etc

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Les Piles
If, and only if, the problem is so outrageous that you are ready to fire the customer and that is your last chance in saving the relationship. Combined with something we do not wish to bid for projects that end up costing us more than we make due to customer errors.

That would be pretty much a death statement for your relationship.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Four replies in a row saying "This is dangerous to do".

Please let me make it 5 in a row.
Many customers would see a CAR as "We will only sell to you if you clean up your act".

I doubt this is the tone of relationship you want to have with your customer.
If I were the customer receiving it, I wouldn't be too happy with you as my vendor.

While "The customer is always right" isn't true...it is typically safer for the relationship to keep the saying firmly in mind.

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
What we do in these cases, and we have had a few, is send the customer a Drawing Change Request (DCR) which outlines the technical issue and asks for approval of the change. If nothing else, this usually gets the ball rolling without creating a defensive atmosphere right at the start. We also note that future production will be Rev level (next) which we keep on file internally, even if they refuse the change. This can provide a bit of leverage for some negotiation.

I

iamtroll

As a plating supplier to a broad range of customers, we would never send a CAR to the customer unless we were planning on stopping business with them. On the other hand, if at the PO/engineering/quality review we find missing or incorrect information, we routinely refuse to proceed until the documentation is corrected. The majority of our customers are medical and aerospace, so we are perfectly within our rights to stop processing until everything is in order and we do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Mule Car aka Body Mule Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Marc Electric Car circa 1898 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
T Closing out CAR while waiting for design change Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
C Supplier blowing off CAR request Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
J When to Initiate a CAR (Corrective Action Request) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Internal Audit CAR - How Long for Responses to be Received? Internal Auditing 8
5 Expediting Internal Corrective Action Requests (CAR) Closures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
L Packaging Issues Resulted CAR by customer Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M I need Audit Checklists for nearly all Car suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
R ISO 13485 Validation and CAR Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Having a hard time closing CAR/ PAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
Marc NHTSA - Crash imminent braking and dynamic brake support to its New Car Assessment World News 1
Marc Car Navigation Systems - Dedicated or Smartphone? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
L Customer requies 'Jet Test' on a Car Part (Electronics Connectors) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Ajit Basrur China breaks world record for car sales in 2013 ! World News 1
Mikishots How to handle CAR (Corrective Action Request) Scope vs. Timely Response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
W What Are Some Online Car Auction Websites? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
R MSA is similar to driving a car? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Car Talk Traffic Tickets Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
M So you want an internet ready car? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
B Combining a CAR, an NCR, and an Accident Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Should CAR be issued when the KPI is not achieved ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Supplier CAR response scoring Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
P Differences between an NCR and CAR Internal Auditing 9
T Do Customer Returns = NCR and CAR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Good Formats to use for CAR's/CAPA's for Safety Issues or Injuries Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M Audit Interview as Evidence to issue a CAR (Corrective Action Request) General Auditing Discussions 13
S Customer CAR request after waiting 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
T World Class Supplier Quality Alert System CAR/SCAR By Email Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
B Shall issue CAR when KPI fail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Shall we raise SCAR/CAR for every defect as per our current procedure? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
J Which process is used to make Car Tires Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Acceptable Time to provide proof of CAR (Corrective Action Report) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
A Who should be the CAR owner & Who is involved with RCA, CAPA plan & CAPA evaluation? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
N Combining Multiple CARs (Corrective Action Request) into One CAR? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
P Suggestions for Europe in a Week - By Car Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 4
Mr.Happy Operator Mistakes (Errors) and responding to CAR (Corrective Action Requests) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 20
M Vinyl and Cloth Cut Parts Tolerances? (Car Seats) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
N Do I Need to Write a CAR for..... (All Opinions Wanted :) ) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Check out the latest Social Group! Classic Car Int'l World News 4